PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience

WetFeet
11th Mar 2006, 07:46
Don't get me wrong,I'm not against school work experience visits, I did it myself at 16 years of age. What does p**s me off are those that come to the unit for a week and show no interest at all, they are clearly just looking for a week off school. All they do is get in the way.

Maybe we should be interviewing prospective work experience students to judge whether they are really interested before accepting them. The knock-on effect would be that they get experience at interviews.

Or does that happen at some units?

11th Mar 2006, 07:51
Are you saying that NATS units over work experience weeks or days? What is a work experience day!?

I asked for work experience at a number of NATS units and all didn't reply or said no after about 2 months of waiting!

WetFeet
11th Mar 2006, 08:02
ScOACC runs a work experience programme with local schools. Students spend a week there and spend time with the training section, engineering, Oceanic and Scottish Radar.

Not all schools can participate as only a certain number can be accomodated due to other committments.

My problem is that it is up to the schools to select the attendees, and some of them just aren't interested.

I'm ashamed you didn't get replies from some units. If I was applying I would write to the Head of ATC Training at the appropriate unit. If they don't deal with it personally they should pass your letter on to someone that does.

11th Mar 2006, 08:11
I would love to come to ScOACC or any NATS unit but as I live close to EGKK can't go to ScOACC! :ugh:

Tried Swanwick - no luck would much prefer airport units much more interesting for students like myself.

Tried at several NATS airport units being all the NATS London airports and they all came out with excuses such as 'security', 'space', 'time' etc. :mad:

Security is no problem, BAA can issue passes, space for one extra person!? and time...?

Do appreciate the reasons/excuses but youth are the future and NATS don't care.

lobby
11th Mar 2006, 11:21
Hello WetFeet.
We use an interview and Exam process at LACC. Seems to work very well. By doing this it means we only get the students with a genuine interest in ATC and have an aptitude suitable to take in and understand what they see. Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.