PDA

View Full Version : Can British license pilot log flight to Ireland on N reg.

Mooneyboy
10th Mar 2006, 18:52
I've got an oportunity to fly a seneca from the UK to Southern Ireland and I have British fATPL. This aircraft is N reg based in the UK and what I was wondering is I know I can operate it in the UK as PIC and log the time but can I still do this on a flight to Ireland. If someone could help this would be much appreciated.

Best regards

Mooneyboy.:ok:

Jinkster
10th Mar 2006, 22:21
do you hold any FAA certificate at all? Are you sure you can log it without a certificate from the FAA?

:hmm:

neil armstrong
11th Mar 2006, 01:18
you can only log it when you fly with another pilot who is an FAA instructor!

Neil

Mooneyboy
11th Mar 2006, 09:00
Hi Guys thanks for the replies,

I did a CPL/ME in America but this was just for a JAA license but I still appear to have an FAA student pilot certificate shown on the FAA database. The person who flies along with me has an American ATP so would this count as an FAA instructor? I've only got a couple hundred hours so big trips to Ireland and back is a good way to build time quickly but I obviously want to make sure its perfectly legal and loggable. Could anyone suggest any where I could further check?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Mooneyboy:ok:

B200Drvr
11th Mar 2006, 12:20
FAR Part 61.3 Says that you can fly an N reg aeroplane only in the country for which you hold a valid pilots licence and for which you are rated on that licence.
IMHO as a CFIMEII, if you do not hold a rating for a Seneca in the UK which you obviously do, or do not have at least an FAA multi private, I would not log it if the landing is going to be out of the country in which your licence was issued. Northern Ireland is one thing, Rep of Ireland is another.
The FAA ATPL does not substitute for an Instructor rating unless designated as a check airman in a certified flight department and then only for flight crew members employed by said flight department.

Chilli Monster
11th Mar 2006, 13:08
To take things one at a time.

1) You can only fly the aircraft in the UK - outside the UK you would require an FAA Certificate with a multi engine rating (as B200Drvr says)

2) The Seneca is a single pilot aircraft - unless the acompanying ATP is an instructor then it's only he that can log the hours, as he would be PiC. If he holds an instructor rating then you can log it, as Pu/t only.

Keygrip
11th Mar 2006, 13:40
Why can't MB fly as PIC to the FIR boundary and then stop logging time - and the ATP start his/her command time from there?

Having said all that - if MB gets on with licence validation through the CAA and FAA, the Feds will give him PPL privilidges on that Seneca anyway.

It may well mean a trip to a FSDO - but no doubt there's one in Shannon, Frankfurt, or similar. Could even fly across to New York - paying for a two day return is still cheaper than paying for lots of Seneca time.

Talking of all this (PPL, JAA CPL etc) makes me wonder something else - what is(arte) the purpose of the trip(s). If it's commercial work then all answers will be "No". If it's corporate then a PPL should do (he said hopefully).

False Capture
11th Mar 2006, 14:29
More importantly are you insured to fly the a/c?

Mooneyboy
11th Mar 2006, 19:40
Yes I fulfil the requirements to be insured to fly the a/c, was one of the first things I checked.

The future trips to Ireland are very few but I will look into a license validation through the CAA and FAA. There are more numerous flights to Northen Ireland which I have logged. These potential trips would be corporate but I think in future I will get the american ATP to do the legs to Ireland and back and I ride RHS for the needed experience. Also I won't log any flights in this a/c to a foreign (non UK) airport, my eventual aim is to work for an airline so I want my logbook to conform to what the CAA like.

Many thanks to Keygrip, Chilli Monster, B200Drvr, neil armstrong, James Vaughan, Jinkster and False capture.

Best Regards

Mooneyboy:ok:

flyboyike
15th Mar 2006, 22:56
FAR Part 61.3 Says that you can fly an N reg aeroplane only in the country for which you hold a valid pilots licence and for which you are rated on that licence.

I've always wondered how the FAA would enforce that. They have no jurisdiction of any kind in Ireland or in the UK. Interestingly, the FAA has no problem with me flying a G- or EI- registered Seneca in the US while using my US license, so what's the problem with someone flying whatever they please in the UK or Ireland.

mccluskey56
16th Mar 2006, 04:57
Hi,

Unless you hold an American Multi Engine Rating then unfortunatly you will be unable to log the flight time or act as pilot in command! However if you fly with an FAA MEI (Multi Engine Flight Instructor) then you can log the flight time as dual recieved or if you are FAA qualified then you can both log PIC so a good way to split some multi time! But no FAA license then you can't log the flight time no matter what kin of JAA license you hold:)