10th Mar 2006, 14:50
My expenses for 2006 follow:

Premises or public liability insurance £1500
Professional indemnity insurance £220
Medicals £400
Check rides £1130
Travelling £1800
Total £5050

Expenses work out at £25.25 per hour assuming 200 hours flown per year.

How can £25 per hour fees be viable?

Keygrip
10th Mar 2006, 15:45
You could look for cheaper fuel and get the travel expenses down to 1750 - then you'd break even.

No, sorry, being flippant. It's always been one of my major complaints about the industry - and, am afraid it's going to continue as long as people use FI ratings to hour build towards jet jobs.

It's also why there will shortly be zero multi engine, instrument instructors. The cost of going through the additional experience building, flight training, rating application fees and rating renewal fees will outweigh what they get back - especially as they are sufficiently qualified to apply for airline jobs before they get to this stage.

Why should anybody go that route?

Craggenmore
10th Mar 2006, 21:09
Why should anybody go that route?Simple, the smart cookies are going through the instructional route. No IRI's mean very high pay for the few who are left.

Perhaps one day we will see the top earners being IRI and the low earners being airline pilots! Supply and demand :O

DFC
10th Mar 2006, 21:22
I think that you are paying very far over the odds for medicals if you pay £400 per year. I paid £105 for a class 1 including this time all the extra bits (hearing etc).

The figure for rating revalidations could not be an annual one coult it?

Since you have your own building and thus the requirement to insure it I would not include that in an hourly cost.

What about the groundschool income, income from membership fees and all the other bits.

If you are a self employed instructor working for one or more schools then you have had bad advice if those are your typical annual expenses!!

Regards,

DFC

rhwheeler
11th Mar 2006, 09:41
I think that you are paying very far over the odds for medicals if you pay £400 per year. I paid £105 for a class 1 including this time all the extra bits (hearing etc).
The figure for rating revalidations could not be an annual one coult it?
Since you have your own building and thus the requirement to insure it I would not include that in an hourly cost.
What about the groundschool income, income from membership fees and all the other bits.
If you are a self employed instructor working for one or more schools then you have had bad advice if those are your typical annual expenses!!
Regards,
DFC
Take your point about the medicals at Gatwick and also I should have made clear the Flight Examiner revaldation expenses.
The figures for revalidation includes Multi Engine Piston (Land).
The Public or Premises liability is requirement of the General Manager at the airfield. In the case of a riding school for example it is required by law.
No groundschool fees charged.
No membership fees charged.
Aircraft hire goes direct to the owner.