View Full Version : logging IFR time

buzzc152
9th Mar 2006, 15:06
much of my time is spent under VFR but due to the nature of the work most of the flight is conducted by sole reference to the instuments. Is this 'actual IFR' time ? Or does 'actual IFR' mean flight in IMC conditions ?

mbcxharm
9th Mar 2006, 16:25
Don't forget that IMC is not the same as IFR and VMC is not the same as VFR. If you are VFR I would expect that you are not flying with sole reference to instruments but maintaining a lookout. I suspect you mean that you are IFR but flying in VMC, in which case in your logbook I would have thought that you could log all of your time spent as such as 'IFR time'. If you are flying in accordance with VFR then you can't log any of it as such.

I believe that JAR logbooks tend to have an 'IFR' column as opposed to my CAA CAP 407 logbook which has a column for 'instrument flying' which is defined at the front as time spent solely looking at instruments.

buzzc152
9th Mar 2006, 16:29
Nope, I'm flying VFR in VFR conditions but with sole reference to instruments for much of the time.

InSoMnIaC
9th Mar 2006, 18:50
buzzc152 Nope, I'm flying VFR in VFR conditions but with sole reference to instruments for much of the time.

then u are breaking the law unless u have a flight intstructor on board who is maintaining a visual look out and u are practicing ur IF. in which case u log ur time flying on instruments as IF time.