PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Instructing

Rote 8
9th Mar 2006, 11:00
There is regular discussion on this forum about the annual salary that an instructor might expect to earn and it is probably a subject that many of you are bored with. However most of the responses to these threads normally quote approximate figures for full time instructors and then suggest that this figure is typically made up of a sum payable for each flying hour and then a retainer, which I gather is usually paid to instructors who work full time.

Given the way you guys are paid I would expect that a good portion of your annual income is earned during the summer months and that the winter is rather lean. Is this generally the case?

I am interested in the possibility of instructing on a full time seasonal basis – I.e. just instructing through the summer months and then doing freelance IT work during the winter – is this a practice that many instructors follow? – Do you think that an arrangement such as this would be agreeable to many schools – I would imagine that for many it would suit them well as they avoid the need for retention payments for guys sat around watching the rain on a wet December afternoon.

If you do think that such a proposal is feasible which are the busiest months of the year – I assume perhaps May through to September and generally what is the take home pay for these busier months. I do not think that I could convince my fiancé that full time instructing is feasible but some type of seasonal arrangement may work. Of course if it was up to me I would live in a caravan on the airfield….

pilgrim flyer
9th Mar 2006, 13:25
In my experience the job isn't that easy to pick up and put down. This is my third year as part time FI. In each summer (which seems to start in week 2 of July) I pick up 3-5 PPL students who I assume wouldn't be too pleased were I to ditch them for cosy days by the fire with the GF.

Tend to get them taking their tests by Easter, though this year there has been a slight technical hitch as I was temporarily unairworthy for a couple of months. The 'hungry' period has previously been April/May/June. Though as my students have stood by and waited that should be filled this year. Loyalty works both ways.

In any case, though the days are short you can get some really good weather in the winter. I think last year there was a 9/10 consecutive flying day period in December and I managed to do over 40 hrs P/T that month.

Seems to me that you've a couple of options:

1.Go part time in your current 'day' job, or swap it for another where you can be P/T.

2. Ditch the G/F and buy that caravan. You'll could well end up with a more understanding one when you're following your passion....

PF:*

18greens
9th Mar 2006, 14:58
Perhaps better to aim for 5 days IT one day flying in winter and 5 days flying 1 day IT in summer.

That way continuity is assured and you get to earn a bit of cash. Remember also that this is England and sometimes the winters are better for flying than summer.

The other way is to fly for those red letter day companies (eg Delta) who only operate their Tigers April to October. The trouble with this job is you miss flying in winter during the drought and in summer its like drinking out of a fire hose. By June you wish you never saw another tiger in your life.

I prefer a lovely variety of PPL, IMC, Aeros and the odd trial lesson chucked in to keep your hands on.