PDA

View Full Version : Which one to work with?

mampay
8th Mar 2006, 23:25
Hi colleagues. I found myself in a big doubt. I have two job offers from 2 different flight schools.
one is Sheffield City Flight School
and the other is Cubair in Redhill.
Both are very good but I will like to chose the best one. I am foreigner and may be you can help me to take my decision.
Both are for PPL.
It is very different the weather between Sheffield and East Sussex, and more now in spring and summer?
Private pilot preffer small flight school or bigger, land on grass or in runways?
Thanks in advance for all of your information, I ask that because I know some of you can give useful information.
It is a important decision and I have to decide quite soon.
Cheers,

mampay
9th Mar 2006, 09:34
My main doubt is the weather. I am not sure if it is very different in the north of England and in the south, because it is coming spring and summer and I suppost it will be fine in both.
May be any instructor was flying in the north for a couple or years and he can help me.
Cheers again.

18greens
9th Mar 2006, 15:01
Weather will make little difference. Numbers of customers will.

Ask them how many hours each school did in winter and summer last year. This might give you a clue how water logged they get in winter.

Also Cubair have got tailwheel things. Good fun.

StuartRawlinson
9th Mar 2006, 19:07
I'd ask how operational Redhill is as an Airport, it has been closed lately due to water logging, a winter issue with that field, good luck :)

Dr Eckener
9th Mar 2006, 19:13
Redhill will keep you very busy in the summer, but in winter it is a graveyard. Field is often closed due poor runway condition.

FlyingForFun
10th Mar 2006, 21:01
Without knowing anything about the two schools you are talking about, I would definitely second those replies which say that the number of hours' flying you get will be a major factor in the decision. I got bitten by this a couple of years ago when I didn't ask that question.....

FFF
-----------------

James Vaughan
10th Mar 2006, 21:06
I used to live just up the road from Redhill, and like other members are saying it is very dead in the winter.

SKYYACHT
11th Mar 2006, 06:22
I agree - I contacted my club at Redhill on Thursday to book an aeroplane for friday, and was told that the field was waterlogged. This despite the fact that the operator spent thousands on putting in a drainage system some time ago. A hard runway may allow for ops to continue in reduced weather, and if thats how you are going to make your bread, you need consistency!

Cheers

A and C
11th Mar 2006, 07:45
It's much cheaper to live in the north so this should be a factor, all things considered I think if the work is avalable I would go north.

mampay
11th Mar 2006, 10:31
thanks my friends, I have decided to move to Sheffield. It looks much better and it is a busy school.
Your information was very useful for my decision. I hope I have chosen the best one. Now I am going to start an intructor career in UK so I feel very proud of it.
Cheers mates

Julian
11th Mar 2006, 13:55
I fly from Sheffield and its a nice modern airport with a hard runway. Dont think flooding will is a problem as its elevated anyway so the locals will drown anyway before its a problem to you so hey no clients anyway :)

Dont be fooled by "Its cheaper ooopppp Norf", it used to be but unfortunately not any more!!!! I work down South in week and have a house nr Sheffield and whilst you will still find cheaper pockets, house prices have rocketed over the past couple of years. The prices in my local area here are very comparable with Reading, Berkshire where I used to live if that gives you any idea.

If you have a car then you may be in with more of a chance of finding somewhere cheaper. I cant comment on the rental market going rate as not rented for ages.

I think you have made a good choice with Sheffield and will probably bump intoyou there!

Julian.

Han 1st Solo
21st Mar 2006, 15:11
I operated out of Sheffield as an instructor for a year, lovely airport facilities however are you aware of the restrictions imposed on Sheffield, i.e that you can't do repetitive circuits or send students solo, you have to go to Gamston, Doncaster or Sandtoft for circuits, not a big deal but thought you should know. The other thing is the uncertainty of the airport, I don't know what the present situation is you would have to ask but at one point they were thinking of closing the airport.

I know the owner of Sheffield City Flying School and he is a really good bloke, it's a good school and quite busy with the Sheffield University contract that they have.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Han.