PDA

View Full Version : To handle a flap assimetry - your thoughts

Lookavi
8th Mar 2006, 18:34
You might've heard of a BA125 crash on approach into Kharkiv in the Ukraine in early January. Investigators found that one flap was stuck at a 6 degree position with the other one at 20.
Any thoughts on whether it is at all possible to maintain control of the plane with ailerons and rudder under these conditions.
I don't question the abbilities of the crew involved, it is just a proffesional interest.
I fly a 737 classic and know very little of the BA125. Any thoughts are of great interest.

alf5071h
8th Mar 2006, 18:56
I understood that the HS 125, like modern commercial aircraft, is protected from flap asymmetry. The design certification requires a system that prevents asymmetry or limits it to a flyable condition. I used to fly the 125 and it was my understanding that whilst an asymmetry could occur, it would be controllable provided the crew did not meddle with the system.

Lookavi
9th Mar 2006, 04:56
Hi ALF,
The thing is, it's been said that the flap assimetry protection device wasn't operational on this unfortunate aeroplane as it wasn't serviced on the last major check.
Don't quote my words as official investigation is not completed.
As I understood it, the device locked the left flap at 6 deg. position and didn't work at all on the right one. That is why such large assimetry developed.