PDA

View Full Version : Company vs. manufacturer's SOP

jet1104
7th Mar 2006, 23:52
My dear colleagues,

Please, I would like to now following:
1) Do your companies have their own SOP or are they using only Generic Boeing (Airbus) procedures?

2) What do you mean is better - use only generic procedures or customized them for own use, especially if you operate more than one type from more than one manufacturer? (my airline operates 4 types, three manufacturers, having some procedures and calls (callouts) common for every type)

Thanks for any opinion:)

nnc0
9th Mar 2006, 05:16
We operate 5 types, 4 manufacturer's.

Some manufacturers SOPS are minimal, some are exhaustive, some are written to the lowest common denominator, some require post secondary english, crew pairings can change per flight and crew may not have same first language, some SOP procedures ignore maintenace SOPs and some assume maintenance readily available at every airport, none are ever fully compatible with the operation and the equipment, some contain glaring errors, etc.....

In conjuntion with company policy manual, basically we standardize SOPs across the fleets with the only exceptions being equipment specific procedures and discretionary changes based upon flight safety, training and check ride findings.

Having been involved in writing the procedures at a manufacturer's level and at the major carrier level I'd be reluctant to rely on the manufacturer's non AFM SOPs as anything more than recommendations or guidelines from which to build a good solid SOP package.