PDA

View Full Version : NY ARTCC computer system fails - minor delays result

vapilot2004
7th Mar 2006, 22:44
Airline flights to and from the New York area were delayed up to an hour or more this afternoon after the a computer failed at the area's radar center in Ronkonkoma, N.Y.

Air traffic controllers were forced to hold New York-bound planes on the ground as far away as Chicago, and eventually, to allow them to take off but with 15 miles between them instead of the usual five.

Delays of an hour or more hit La Guardia, Newark and Teterboro airports. In addition, the delays affected planes planning to fly through the New York area on the way to more distant destinations.

La Guardia was so crowded with planes that could not leave that planes wanting to fly there had to wait until long after the computer system was back up and running, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

Kennedy International Airport did not experience significant delays, because it has lower traffic in the afternoons.

The computer failure occurred around 2:15 p.m. at the New York Air Route Traffic Control Center in Ronkonkoma, one of 20 centers around the country that handles mostly high-altitude, long-distance flights.

A backup system, with more limited capacity, was started about 20 minutes later, and the main computer restarted around 3:15 p.m., but delays persisted for hours longer, said Laura J. Brown, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration.

The backup system does not display as much information on the radar screen as the regular one.

In addition, when planes arrived in the New York area, controllers had to speak by phone to their counterparts in other cities to learn details like the airline and flight number. Usually that information is transmitted with a mouse click. As a result, controllers spaced out the incoming planes to a volume that they could handle with the additional work required on each plane.

Patrick J. McDonough, a controller at the center, said that when the computer system began to fail, and again when it was restarted, it intermittently "hiccupped." The radar scope usually displays two categories of information, a blip marking the plane's position and a text block that gives its identity, altitude and speed, but with each hiccup, he said, "all of the data blocks shuffled," and the two became disconnected, making it harder to keep track of which plane was which.

Mr. McDonough said the F.A.A. on Feb. 9 installed a new computer tool that allows controllers to send planes on direct routes, avoiding the standard segments that add miles to trips. He said that might have contributed to the computer failure.

Ms. Brown said that the cause of the failure was not yet known but that the effect of the software change would be investigated.

Looks like a job well done by the NY controllers. Must have been a flashback to the 60's or 70's for them - ie no data tags and manual hand offs.

rhovsquared
8th Mar 2006, 16:15
Hi all supirised this isn't up yet. yesterday it was all over the local news that the TRACON located in rockonkoma NY was down due to some sort of software glitch that knocked out the secondary surveillance radar...I think.
but want the real story not the sensationalized and innaccurate media bulls..t were they think that "planes were lined up one after another on the runway for hours" i was really wondering what is this new FAA installed software and how this could' happen? was real quiet yesterday for a long while here where i live near JFK:rolleyes: but they could have been using 4-22 LR or 31 instead of 13 left.... its cool because the lead in lights for VOR 13L are on top of an autobody shop 3 blocksw away from me:8

rhov

captjns
8th Mar 2006, 17:13
Here is the aritcile from Newsday, a Long Island news paper.

Long Island

Glitch delays flights
FAA computer software problem disrupts arrivals and departures at New York-area airports

BY JOSEPH MALLIA
STAFF WRITER

March 8, 2006

Arrivals and departures at New York-area airports were delayed by up to two hours for most of the day yesterday, after the Federal Aviation Administration's regional computer system in Ronkonkoma malfunctioned, an FAA spokesman said.

The system started rebooting - basically shutting itself down and restarting - again and again, he said.

The delays affected all flights to and from Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark airports.

At 2:15 p.m. the computer system, located at Long Island MacArthur Airport in Ronkonkoma, started rebooting uncontrollably, Peters said. The FAA air traffic controllers halted all aircraft departures in the region for the next 23 minutes until a backup computer system went into service at 2:38 p.m., Peters said. That backup system's limited capabilities, however, led to continual delays through the afternoon and evening.

"We have not yet pinned down why the software problem occurred," Peters said. He said the FAA software, known as the Host Computer System, has had similar problems in the past.

For much of the afternoon and evening the FAA increased the distance between aircraft from the standard 5 miles to 15 miles. New York-bound flights from airports as far away as Philadelphia, Boston and Indianapolis were delayed.

The FAA's Ronkonkoma operation, known as New York Center, is expected to be operating normally by today, Peters said. Technicians overnight were to try to trace the source of the problems. The software that malfunctioned has been in use for several years, he said.

rhovsquared
8th Mar 2006, 17:53
Interesting sounds like a mere annoyance for pilots and some additional stress for ATC but s..t happens.. glad NewsDay didn't write: "THOUSANDS OF AIRPLANES WAITING TO CRASH OVER NEWYORK!!!,while planes waited on the runway, and takeoffs from the tarmac aborted" and kept to the general facts...

captjns
8th Mar 2006, 18:00
Interesting sounds like a mere annoyance for pilots and some additional stress for ATC but s..t happens.. glad NewsDay didn't write: "THOUSANDS OF AIRPLANES WAITING TO CRASH OVER NEWYORK!!!,while planes waited on the runway, and takeoffs from the tarmac aborted" and kept to the general facts...

No... that for the NY Post to write.

vapilot2004
8th Mar 2006, 19:15
Hi all supirised this isn't up yet. yesterday it was all over the local news that the TRACON located in rockonkoma NY was down due to some sort of software glitch that knocked out the secondary surveillance radar...I think.

Here's the link to my post yesterday on this - article is from the NYT:

ATC Forum - PPrune (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214950)

grimmrad
9th Mar 2006, 02:42
Hi
this is a simple question from a passenger's side. My wife was bound to fly from BOS to Reagan ntl in DC but her flight was delayed for 1.5 hrs. While I understand that planes going to the NY area are delayes because of the radar problems - why are planes that are passing by also affected? Was this a radar used for approach and departure from the 3 airports ot was it a NY center radar. Again, I am by no means a pilot or anything related, just a curious affected persons seeking some more knowledge.
Thanks

best

captjns
9th Mar 2006, 09:05
What time of day was it? Was the aircraft a jet or turbo prop? Turbo props fly at a lower altitude and fly in the descent and departure corridors of aircraft flying into JFK, LGA, EWR, HPN, and ISP. Did the aircraft arrive in BOS to take your wife to DCA on time? How was the weather? There are a number of factors as to why your wife's plane could have been late.

vector4fun
9th Mar 2006, 12:52
Grimm,
The outage was at New York Center, and would have affected all flights in the area. Initial word is URET computer was the problem, but not confirmed. (Don't ask me about URET, I'm not enroute. :) )
Newsday (New York): Glitch delays flights; FAA computer software problem disrupts arrivals and departures at New York-area airports
Arrivals and departures at New York-area airports were delayed by up to two hours for most of the day yesterday, after the Federal Aviation Administration's regional computer system in Ronkonkoma malfunctioned, an FAA spokesman said.
The system started rebooting - basically shutting itself down and restarting - again and again, he said.
"Right now we have one-hour delays ... that will continue into the early evening hours," spokesman Jim Peters said late yesterday afternoon. The delays affected all flights to and from Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark airports.
At 2:15 p.m. the computer system, located at Long Island MacArthur Airport in Ronkonkoma, started rebooting uncontrollably, Peters said. The FAA air traffic controllers halted all aircraft departures in the region for the next 23 minutes until a backup computer system went into service at 2:38 p.m., Peters said. That backup system's limited capabilities, however, led to continual delays through the afternoon and evening.
"We have not yet pinned down why the software problem occurred," Peters said. He said the FAA software, known as the Host Computer System, has had similar problems in the past.
For much of the afternoon and evening the FAA increased the distance between aircraft from the standard 5 miles to 15 miles. New York-bound flights from airports as far away as Philadelphia, Boston and Indianapolis were delayed.

Minesapint
10th Mar 2006, 17:07
NAS - bless it. We call those 're-boots' multiple start-overs, I bet the Americans do too! :eek:

So, will our long awaited NAS replacements ever fail? :E

danceswithsheep
10th Mar 2006, 17:32
Here at Scottish centre (sorry Center!!), we suffered a total power loss about 2 years ago!!!! The engineers said it would never happen but when you get sticky jelly fingers on your operational procedures booklet and you miss the page that says "turn on mains power after checking the stand-by"!!
No delays, procedural air misses, very little paperwork.
Also, no thank you, no pat on the back, no change here then.

We work in an environment where screw-up (or Paddys law) seems to be to the power of 10. That thing we are assured will never happen is just what does and what thanks do we get........... **** all.(its an Irish word)

This week we received a letter from our General Manager thanking us for 10 weeks of non attributable delays for Scottish! Why do you think he knew this figure, probably for the new Merc sitting in his driveway with the bonus he gets for us getting humped every morning!

I do this job because I enjoy the work, I enjoy being busy, the workers are good craic and the time of is fine in my book. Its a shame this BUSINESS as its become is so proffit minded and those of us on the coal face will just get more and more shafted(no pun intended).

Minesapint
10th Mar 2006, 17:44
I remember a total power loss at LATCC when the AC opsroom was there and TC was still TMA N and S (plus airport approaches of course). I had just walked into the opsroom by the "Clacton Entrace" and all the lights went off, all the radar displays joined in. The 'fight of flight' reflex was tremendous!

An "uninteruptable" power supply got - interupted. :rolleyes: