View Full Version : crosswind

alfaman100
7th Mar 2006, 15:08
If you are conducting a precision approach in either CAT II or CAT III conditions, are you likely to encounter any significant crosswind (below 200ft)?

Difference of opinion needs settling if anyone can help!

Thanks

BOAC
7th Mar 2006, 15:26
The expression '40kt fog' is well known in aviation circles:)

It does not need to be far off the runway at 40kts to make a significant x-wind component.

Old Smokey
7th Mar 2006, 22:52
And the problem then is that most Auto-Land Cross-Wind limits are less than the normal limit for the aircraft.

Thankfully (at least in my experience) the most common "REAL" Auto-Lands are in thick foggy conditions with little or no wind, I hope that my good luck keeps running:rolleyes:

Regards,

Old Smokey

alfaman100
8th Mar 2006, 06:48
Thanks for your responses
Regards
Alfa

alf5071h
8th Mar 2006, 11:38
There can be some significant crosswinds in Cat 2, but wind strength generally decreases in thicker fog (Cat3). However, some auto land systems might have to cope with blowing snow or dust which could result in ‘Cat 3’ visibilities.

Auto pilot certification has to meet stringent requirements (JAR-AWO) to achieve a reliable touch down in an acceptable landing box. Some of the data originates from flight testing, but most is provided by simulation of the autopilot performance in a wide range of variables, which are based on the flight tests.
I flew a 35 kt crosswind auto land to certificate an AFM limit of 15kts. The auto land appeared to be very capable, if not more than I could achieve in the conditions. In my experience the auto land limits are conservative, rightly so for systems where human intervention is either not required (Cat3b), or not guaranteed.