PDA

View Full Version : Revalidation of multi-engine instructor rating

FlyingForFun
7th Mar 2006, 14:56
Hi,

I want to check that my understanding of LASORS is correct on this one.

As I read it, if I were to upgrade my FI rating to include single-pilot multi-engine privileges, I do not need to do anything special to revalidate it. As long as I keep my FI rating valid (and obviously keep my multi-engine piston class rating valid), I maintain instruction privileges on multi-engine aircraft, even if I revalidate by (for example) experience, with no multi-engine instruction experience, and by test on a single-engine piston.

In fact, as I read it, even if I let my FI rating lapse for a lengthy period of time, when I come to renew it I need only attend a seminar and complete a test on a single-engine aircraft, and I would re-gain privileges to instruct on a multi-engine aircraft.

Have I got that correct? It seems in direct contrast to the privilege to instruct for the IR, where if revalidating using the experience requirement, at least 10 hours of the experience must be instructing for the IR - and this contrast seems a little odd to me, so I wonder if I've got it wrong.

(And on a similar note, would instruction for the IMC rating be sufficient to revalidate the full privileges of my rating if it includes privileges to instruct for the IR?)

Thanks!

FFF
-------------

Whopity
7th Mar 2006, 16:05
Your understanding of LASORS may be correct but I suggest you read JAR-FCL 1.385.

It rather depends on whether ME instruction is carried out as a CRI or as a FI with extended privileges. A CRI who allows the rating to lapse must do refresher training at the discretion of the Authority and pass a "proficiency check" (odd if the rating has expired) the relevant parts of the skill test set out in Apps 1 and 2 to JAR-FCL 1.330 & 1.345 Thats the FI Skill Test.

An FI on the other hand with ME privileges must meet the revalidation requirements of JAR-FCL 1.355 which has no such requirement. If you let the privileges lapse over 5 years you will be asked to do training and a test to get it back again so the moral is stay current on MEP.

FlyingForFun
11th Mar 2006, 19:53
Whopity,

Thanks very much for the references. Having read the relevant part of JAR FCL, I am now of the opinion that my original reading of LASORS was incorrect, and that if I were to upgrade my FI rating to include ME privileges, I would then have to do a renewal test on a multi-engine aircraft in order to maintain those privileges (or at least use a sim to revalidate the ME privileges) - or, alternatively, to revalidate my FI rating by a combination of experience and seminar (which, in any case, can only be done every other renewal, because you must have a test every other renewal).

I base this on JAR-FCL 1.355 which lays out the requirement for revalidation of an FI rating, and says, regarding the option of revalidation by test:(3) passed, as a proficiency check, the skill test set out in Appendices 1 and 2 to JAR–FCL 1.330 and 1.345 within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the FI rating.I then referenced Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.330 and 1.345, which says:7) Section 5 comprises additional instructor demonstration exercises for a FI(A) rating for multi-engine (ME) SPAs. This section, if required, shall use a ME SPA, simulator or FNPT II. If a simulator or FNPT is used, this shall simulate a ME aeroplane. This section shall be completed in addition to Section 2, 3 and 4 (if applicable) and 7.However, as far as I can see, if you are using experience as one of the revalidation criteria, there is no requirement for any of the experience to be instruction on ME aircraft - which, as I said earlier, is in contrast to the requirements for revalidation of IR instruction privileges.

Any thoughts now?

FFF
----------------

hugh flung_dung
12th Mar 2006, 16:24
TBH I haven't been back to check the refs but in practise, when I've revalidated my FI (SEP and MEP) by test, the flying part has been done SEP but the ground part has covered MEP aspects in addition to everything else.

HFD