PDA

View Full Version : FIC instructors

FlyingForFun
7th Mar 2006, 10:06
Just curious..... but I don't think I've ever seen this discussed here before.

What would be an average kind of salary for an FIC instructor? Let's assume, for example, an existing PPL/IMC/Night instructor also begins to teach the FIC, as well as continuing to teach all the other courses - what kind of pay raise, if any, could he expect?

FFF
-------------

Whopity
9th Mar 2006, 21:12
Add the cost of two FIC courses, subtract 60 hours of aircraft hire, and the cost of a briefing room, then you will understand why you can't hire a FIC Instructor, they are all self employed! A course with two students will take 5 weeks, there won't be time for anything else. 10 courses a year should give you the answer.

FlyingForFun
11th Mar 2006, 19:13
Ok Whopity - hadn't thought of it that way.

Are you saying that practically no one teaches a bit of PPL/IMC/Night, and a bit of FIC? I had assumed (and I know I shouldn't assume) that the multitude of PPL schools which offer FIC courses would have instructors who work this way, but maybe that's not the case???

FFF
-------------

Whopity
12th Mar 2006, 08:39
If you teach FIC with 30 hours flying and 125 hours ground school with two students at a time, that equates to about 4 weeks full time work, say 5 allowing for weather. There really is not much time for any other instruction, before you take into account the different earning potential.

Stampe
12th Mar 2006, 11:24
I had FIC approval some 25 years ago for a couple of years.Hardest flying work I,ve had so far in 33 years flying.Students are usually impoverished and you normally end up teaching them to fly as well as to to teach.Ground school needs to be done and is very time consuming back then I was competing with many other courses where the ground instruction was very self study oriented.I believe thats improved nowadays and all students at least come with CPL knowledge.I have much respect for those FIC instructors who do the job properly they almost certainly don,t earn nearly enough.

Keygrip
12th Mar 2006, 12:59
30 hours flying, for two people, is 60 hours. 60 hours flying, on such short training trips, is what - say 40 flights (at least?). So to do 60 hours of flying in about 40 flights will take how long (with walkrounds, refuels, weight and balance calculations, performance calculations etc) - 80 hours minimum? That only allows 30 minutes for all the preflight, postflight stuff per trip.

125 hours of groundschool (assuming this includes the pre-flight briefs [which it should]) plus 80 hours of flying comes to 205 hours.

To do that in four weeks would mean NON STOP action for 51.25 hours a week, assuming a six day week that would be over 8½hours a day. Non-stop - no breaks for coffee etc.

As was said at a recent CAA meeting - it's just not viable to do consider doing a "genuine" FIC course in 4 weeks.