PDA

View Full Version : Dromader question...

Wirecutter
7th Mar 2006, 03:59
Can anyone tell me why the Turbine Dromader has a placard that says 'max head wind component 34mph?' Did i miss something during ground school???

185skywagon
8th Mar 2006, 00:48
Probably goes backwards in anything greater. :E :ok:

currawong
8th Mar 2006, 04:05
Understand at this speed the wing will work but the tail will not(?)

Should be placards "Pre-flight - Long walk ahead" and "Fall from here and you will hurt yourself"

Wirecutter
8th Mar 2006, 09:22
Maybe it should have a placard that says 'enter at own risk'. They certainly take the fun out of the big days.:ouch:

HMCKILLOP
9th Mar 2006, 00:59
I operated a PT6-67a Drom for too short a time and there was no such limitation on it. A great ag aircraft and a pleasure to fly.

airag3
9th Mar 2006, 07:31
Lol you'd have to say that wouldn't you HM.

Sir HC
9th Mar 2006, 09:50
Wirecutter. I believe the placarding is the result of an AD brought out after a recent accident. I didn't go into it too much but from what I gathered, it was something to do with the effect of strobe lights on the prop at night with such a low ground speed and the tendency that this has to send the epileptic PIC into a trance, eventually sending him to sleep. I hope I got that right. You know how difficult it is to read an ATSB Report these days with all the mumbo jumbo they come out with! Welcome to PPrune HM!

camel jockey
10th Mar 2006, 01:30
Wirecutter, how many hrs on turbine droms have you done?

Tool Box
10th Mar 2006, 07:25
The Droms are good for one thing, seeing how many ducks you can impale on the 2 foot long pitot tube... If you're a gentleman you can pull the power back and ease it in slow when you come in from behind....:eek:

camel jockey
10th Mar 2006, 09:44
Ducks are too smart be lined up like that, they would rather come through the wind screen and meet you personally.:}

Nu-aggy
10th Mar 2006, 10:13
A reasonable question you would tend to think should get a sensible answer, HM you excluded, the rest of you just post absolute rubbish none of it worth while even reading. Some of you really should get a life.

currawong
10th Mar 2006, 23:03
Well I'm still interested in hearing the reason if anyone can help.

The way it was explained to me seemed a little patchy.

I've seen the placard, cannot remember if it was in a radial or turbine.

Perhaps only some S/N or versions are affected? Is the placard on machines ex USA (MPH)?

I don't know the answer. I'm sure someone does that is willing to help. May even help someone avoid a mishap:ok:

enginair
10th Mar 2006, 23:25
may be it has something to do with a vg kit , another placard is vne with spray gear fitted 104 knots

Agwaggon
13th Mar 2006, 10:09
Well that was all riveting stuff chaps!!! NOT!
Where is old SnsGuppy when we really do need an opinon?
Probably fencing I guess!
And you Nu-Aggy really! Take your helmet off, stick a couple of tampons in your ears and lighten up a bit.

camel jockey
13th Mar 2006, 10:43
Agwaggon, you sound like a bit of a legend. Do you and Sir HC drink at the same bar? if so, next time you're heading out give me a call and don't worry an answer on the drom placard is coming.(yeah right)

Nu-aggy
14th Mar 2006, 07:43
[And you Nu-Aggy really! Take your helmet off, stick a couple of tampons in your ears and lighten up a bit.[/QUOTE]
Agwagon, look I have had my helment off for a while now and the tampons out of my ears, being a decent bloke like yourself I am sure you would not post dribble like you see quite regularly, and if all had to put their own name up as did HMcKILLOP, the bull would be gone and the discussions possibily may quite useful and informative.
Look forward to havin a beer shortly.

currawong
14th Mar 2006, 10:11
Got me stuffed why a thread like this would develop into a blue.:confused:

Seems there are some experts here - but still no answer to the original question.

Doesn't anyone actually know the answer?

(yes, this is as riveting as it gets untill someone can come up with a better thread)

Wirecutter
15th Mar 2006, 00:17
Sorry Everyone, I was only looking to satisfy my curiosity, i have not seen this placard in a radial and thought there must be a reason for it, I don't really think we would be doing much in 34mph winds anyway.

While some of the dry humour and wit does give me a chuckle it is a shame that most of the posts are becoming quite petty.

enginair
15th Mar 2006, 01:59
the placard is listed in the pzl m18 flight manual for the radial engine unit i.e original aircraft but no reason for it unless it was the max headwind they could find when certifing it like max crosswind :ok:

Agwaggon
15th Mar 2006, 07:37
Don't be silly Nu Aggy.
Obiviously if we put our names to this the ducks would know who we are !!
And as for the 34mph thing that started all this I have phoned an old drinking mate of mine in Vladivostok who several years ago was involved with a lady of the night from Warsaw who's day job was RRRRrrrivvvvetttinnggg at the PZL factory. Now she has asked around for us after she knocked off down at the local boozer (albeit very late) and I'm happy to confirm to you all that Sir HC's explanation for the placard is 100% correct.
And thats two G's please Nu Aggy. Mum gets a bit upset when someone spells our name wrong.

enginair
16th Mar 2006, 00:02
the recent accident took place a while ago , because it is in a pretty old flight manual , picky i know (100% correct ) , just trying to help with the detail ?

enginair
16th Mar 2006, 01:36
what's an epiletic ag pilot flying at night in a radial drom in 34 mph winds for any way ?

Candyman
16th Mar 2006, 02:53
My my, how a simple question can evoke such emotion! After having done an hour or two in these machines, I am quite sure the placard is referring to the fact the main plane will fly before the tail plane. For those who have not experienced this on take-off, you will only do it once.............

Camel Jockey, use your spurs man!:bored:

CRUZN
16th Mar 2006, 04:37
maybe its because if you dont have the tail tied in a 34mph wind it will lift!!!

Agwaggon
17th Mar 2006, 19:24
Well hell Ladies, I quess the quesstion is answered and that should bring an end to this receint bout of sillyness (sadly). I see some thought there was a bit of agro in there but I didn't see any, only boredom.
I noticed quite a few new key boards in there as well so the number of people in Oz keeping an eye on the site must be growing. As healthy topics of debate emerge in the near future that will be good. I also noticed there are a growing number of operators involved as well as drivers and that is even better still as some topics will need that balance.
I've not started a thread on here before but I have couple in mind that should get the fingers wagging quite a bit.
The F/W industry has had over its share of prangs this summer with a lot of totals. Perhaps we were a bit fortunate that out of this only a couple were fatal. I know that the families and other people involved in those ones will see nothing fortunate about it but I'm sure you know what I mean. The rotary ag side sadly seemed to be much worse this season with many people loosing life or being seriously injured.
As I grow older or maybe just old and hopefully wiser I can't help but to reflect on the importance of our famlies to us all and probably more so how important we all are to them. Most of us have seen first hand the devastation that is left behind when one of us checks out of here a little earlier than expected.
So now as we come to the tired part of the season how about all you duck hunters out there keep your heads down and eyes wide open untill the very last landing!!:ok:

M18bloke
17th Mar 2006, 21:18
That was very insightful Agwagggon :p

currawong
18th Mar 2006, 02:51
Good point, Agwaggon. Could just as easily be anybody here. Today, tonight, next week, next year. Hard place to be for the operators and pilots/families concerned.

Nobody goes out there intending to have an accident, but not everything goes right all the time in this caper. Especially at night.

Rowen the Raver
18th Mar 2006, 10:58
Agwaggon, great to see you concerned for us all, sounds like you are ageing rapidly these days, may I suggest it might be wise if you hung up your helment.
Currawong, I find night flying some what easier than day light operations as I do not have to bother about magpies or currawongs getting speared on my pitot tube.:eek:

currawong
19th Mar 2006, 02:04
Ever found yourself in a cloud of fruit bats?:ooh:

M18bloke
22nd Mar 2006, 11:51
Lol you'd have to say that wouldn't you HM.

What do you mean by that comment??????

Please explain??????

Harley has been a long term contributer to our industry.

He is held in high esteem by many in our game. He has perhaps flown more Ag then you & I put together.

Perhaps you owe an apology to "HM" for your outburst.

airag3
23rd Mar 2006, 09:02
M18 , the first 3 letters ( lol) set the tone of the reply ( i.e. jocular), I cannot be bothered typing you're a goose.

currawong
23rd Mar 2006, 11:19
Here we go again.

clown, goose, did, did not :hmm:

M18bloke
27th Mar 2006, 19:36
M18 , the first 3 letters ( lol) set the tone of the reply ( i.e. jocular), I cannot be bothered typing you're a goose.

AA3 you can dish it but you can't take it, I am surprised. Here is some free advice, if you are going to become a success in this industry be thick skinned. Also grow a personality, is calling me a goose the best you have got. Now take your thumb out of your mouth, you should not suck it anymore!!!!!!!!!!! also if you are to tired to type away, do a touch typing course, I hope when you are at work you are not too tired to wash your plane & do a daily preflight inspection.

Agwaggon,
I encourage you to go ahead & start some new threads, lets "get the keyboards wagging". You touched on some important issues our industry faces. Only yesterday another fatal ag accident has been found. Tragic for the family & friends close to the deceased pilot. VH-ZIP in the riverina.

SNS3Guppy
19th Apr 2006, 12:19
Interesting. I've never seen the placard, personally. Perhaps the requirement for it was removed in the turbine conversions (eg 45R, -11, etc).

I have no idea where the original flight manual went, but the copy I had was prefaced by a note that said something to the effect of "warning, nothing in this manual should be followed, or believed." It was a directly translated manual printed on some thick, primitive looking paper, and my guess is that the numbers and information there wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. That particular manual came from the place that did the turbine conversion, and if I recall, had a lot of information and printing still in cyrillic or polish or whatever it was.

I guess I don't understand why people don't like the airplane. It's slow, sure. But then blazing speed has never been a top asset for me in an ag airplane. It carries a load well enough, has a decent wing, and so far has been pretty good to me in terrain.

By comparison, the AT-802, which is a lot more airplane, has a fair number of limitations, a lot longer ground roll, and isn't nearly as polite at it's performance limits...though it's a lot more solid to fly. The dromader does what it's designed to do; it hauls a decent load at a relatively low cost.