PDA

View Full Version : JAA FIC to FAA FIC Conversion

AndyDRHuddleston
6th Mar 2006, 14:48
I am currently debating becoming a JAA FI at a school in the North West, but in the not to distant future I may end up moving to the USA.
My question is if I am a qualified FI here in the UK, what would I have to do to become the same in the USA? Do I have to do the full FAA FIC?

Any advice?

Keygrip
6th Mar 2006, 14:59
I'm led to believe that the answer is "Not quite", you can do "training as required to achieve the standard" although it will likely have a minimum number of hours - which I don't have instantly to hand. But you'll have to have a licence to add the ratings to (which also means that you have to first take the CPL and the Instrument Rating on each class of aircraft that you wish to instruct on).

The FAA rating, by the way, has three different rides for the total package - single engine instructor, multi engine instructor and instrument instructor. All require flights and oral exam with an examiner and all require a (computer based) written examination.

So if aiming to teach instruments on both single and multi engine you will need Single Engine CPL. Multi Engine CPL, Single Engine I/R, Multi Engine I/R, Single Engine Instructor, Multi Engine Instructor, Instrument Instructor.

7 flight tests to go from zero.

No doubt somebody more qualified in the FAA way will be able to give you a "neater" answer.

porridge
6th Mar 2006, 15:44
Surprisingly all one needs to do for the FAA FI rating is 3 hours training in the 60 days before test. Of course you need to have a FAA CPL & IR first, pass the witttens etc but according to the FAR's there is no minimum set down and the only other requirement is that you must have had a spin training endorsement.

B200Drvr
7th Mar 2006, 12:09
Bang on Porridge,
Apart from that, as was stated you would need a single and multi engine CPL with IR and a CFI MEII.
You can do it by doing your Multi commercial ride and instrument together (pay for 2 rides) then do a single engine add on which is just commercial manouvers no I.F. Then do the same with the CFI/II do them in a multi as your initial then just add on the Single engine instructor.
However, just a word of caution, combining rides makes for a very tough day as you do two oral exams and although the flight test is incorporated you might be told that you have failed the comm. portion and then you have to continue with the I.F.
With the CFI alone, if done at a FSDO you can expect an oral exam of anything up to 8 hours, thats not a typo!!! and then he will start on the instrument instructor portion. If done properly, this is one of the toughest checkrides anywhere.
My advice would be to go there, learn the stuff, combine the Comm & I.F. ride and then do the CFI, MEI & II all in seperate check rides about a week apart.
Good luck