PDA

View Full Version : How many hours you need for your PPL?

mugen_rsx
6th Mar 2006, 13:57
From PRO-IFR
"The average number of hours for obtaining a Private Pilot license is around 85 hours. Please be aware of this when budgeting for your license."

From Pacific Flying Club
"our students flight test on average in about 55 hours total time (40 hours dual, 15 hours solo), far below the national average."

:eek:
30 hours differences here. Not sure how many hours you guys took!! 85 hours for PPL really is A LOT!!

cplpilot
6th Mar 2006, 17:00
i did my test with 58 (in italy) but i think the minimun is the same that Canada, 45 hours.
I don't know anybody that got the PPL with 45 hours, usually is around 55-60 (that i know) but depends on your learning and how often you fly (i suggest no less than once a week!!).

mugen_rsx
6th Mar 2006, 17:44
I think 60 hours is still very reasonable!

20driver
6th Mar 2006, 19:49
I took somewhere around 80 and about 6 months. I made myself available basically 3-4 days a week for the first 3 months and it was painful how much of my time was wasted. I took two months off in the middle as I was seriously pissed with the school.
I really could have/should have being around 55.
Consistent training is really key, anything less than 2-3 times a week and you spend half your time getting back to where you were.
The flight training industry, if you can call it that, is not really geared to getting you in and out. The school wants rental hours and the instructors want flying time and they may or may not be interested in doing the ground stuff you really need.
Be demanding of the school. Most students, yours truly included, end up being like mushrooms. You can do it in 55 but it needs to be very focused with commitment on both sides. Personally I'd suggest some kind of residential program like they have at various places in Florida etc. You might want to check out Harvsair in Manitoba.
Good luck and be very careful of putting money up front.

320CAP
8th Mar 2006, 19:13
35 hours back in 1985 at Interlake Aviation in Gimli....just under 2 weeks

RatherBeFlying
8th Mar 2006, 19:46
75 hours over 2 years -- there were a number of breaks because of cash flow.

With current rates of $120 + 40 + GST / hr, saving 30 hours is worth some $5000; so, get the $$$$$8500 or so together and find a school where you can fly twice a day 7 days a week -- might be wise to put enough away for an extra 10 hours.

My inclination would be to train in a C-172 instead of the C-152, especially if you weigh more than standard. The better climb rate will make for quicker circuits, and less time spent regaining altitude after stalls, spins, practice forced and precautionary approaches... plus the 2.5 hr. or so checking out in the C-172 after getting your PPL.

l_reason
9th Mar 2006, 04:24
If you are going to get a licence do everything you can to do it fast! Have the money in place to complete the rating or licence before you start! Read everything you can on how to fly a plane.
I was a flight instructor for a year and a half and not one of my students took more then 60 hours before they did the flight test and passed. I was 19 years old, new to instructing and had 250hrs TT. When you are shopping for a flight school be very clear with the CFI you don’t want to take your time getting your PPL. As the customer you are paying them to do a job. The instructor may be PIC but you are the boss because you are paying the bill, don’t let them forget it. You are not going to flight school to build time you are there to get a licence.
I trained in 1998 at small school. I wanted to do my training as fast as I could (full time) and was clear with the school about my intentions.
PPL 55 hrs 2 months C-150
CPL 200 hrs 8 months after first flight C-150
Instructor rating 30hrs 2months C-150
Multi in 4.8 hours in 4 days including flight test. Piper Seminal
Multi/IFR 15hrs flight, 5 sim, C-172, Seminal, sim.
Its not just the school that determines how long it will take. It is up to YOU!
P

mugen_rsx
10th Mar 2006, 03:47
Thanks for your reply guys!

I am going to do a full time PPL as well. However, I would instead do a online ground school and flight training in another school. It is impossible for me to attend those classes during my weekday. I got a month off from work on June, and plan to do a PPL in full time. Do it as soon as possible. Not sure is it very silly, but is it possible to do 2 or more hours per day?

Planning to go to proifr and montair tomorrow to get more information.