PDA

View Full Version : ADS-B

CV Donator
6th Mar 2006, 09:53
Sorry to be a pest, but ive searched everywhere; even on this site but cannot find out what on earth ADSB is. So far i have some hazy notion that it is to do with FANS and freeflight. But then Ace the technical interview book reckons its an advanced version of TCAS. The interview is very soon, contributions very much appreciated and the cheques in the post.

BOAC
6th Mar 2006, 10:28
Google works for me!

skiesfull
6th Mar 2006, 15:48
ADS is Automatic Dependent Surveillance. It is part of FANS not TCAS and is a method of automatically downloading position reports from an aircraft to its Air Traffic Service controlling centre - once the link is established the ATS receives reports from the pilot without further input from the pilot. It is used by the oceanic ATS centres across the Atlantic and saves much 'wear and tear' by bypassing the tedious and frustrating HF comms.

RaRadar
6th Mar 2006, 21:22
Try here:
http://www.eurocontrol.int/cascade/public/subsite_homepage/homepage.html
lots of links to what's happening in Europe and US.
RR

belowMDA
6th Mar 2006, 21:54
Dude you could also check this place out and it covers what is going on in australia and also gives an overview of ADS that should be enough for the interview.

http://www.icao.int/icao/en/ro/apac/adsb_2003/

best wishes for the big day.

techstar
7th Mar 2006, 15:54
Basic ADS is part of FANS, whereby the aircraft will send position reports (when requested) when logged on to ATC.

However, ADS-B is something different and refers to a GPS position squitter which is transmitted irrespective of whether you are operating in the FANS environment. ADS-B is transmitted by Mode S (if capable) and can be received by ATC Ground Stations or other aircraft capable of receiving ADS-B. New generation TCAS systems can track and display ADS-B traffic (called passive surveillance). ADS-B traffic can typically be tracked at greater ranges than normal TCAS traffic which is tracked via active interrogation.

discountinvestigator
7th Mar 2006, 21:57
It can be transmitted via Mode S, Mode 2 or Mode 4.

It is not part of FANS per se in that FANS usually uses satellite based reporting.

It reports a lot more than just position and time.

GipsyMagpie
8th Mar 2006, 03:25
ADS-B It's not just for air trafficers!! You can get some hardware to "see" it from your own puter. Haven't got one myself because Dragon Ops won't let me. Look at Kinetic Avionics - the SBS-1. It means each airstrip/flying club could have its own "radar"

ZeeDoktor
8th Mar 2006, 23:41
Looks like you need to consider change of operator. Did that coming from Dragon ops as well, now am with Bunny ops, and it's essentially free flight. I own a SBS-1. :)

novicef
9th Mar 2006, 02:32
techstar,

What is GPS position squitter ??