PDA

View Full Version : taking photo, recording video below 10000'

erickthepilot
3rd Mar 2006, 18:21
Hello friends,
Do anybody have an any idea or information about using cameras are forbidden by flight crew, below 10000'.

HON 1R
3rd Mar 2006, 20:20
The best thing to do is wait until the cabin crew are sat in their seats for takeoff and landing. That way you can snap away without any hassle, works everytime for me :ok:

LDG NO BLUE
4th Mar 2006, 04:18
If this helps, "sterile cockpit" below 10'000 ft.

Evileyes
4th Mar 2006, 08:10
This may be of assistance. Note especially the sections regarding sight-seeing and the FAR quote at the bottom regarding Fight Crew Duties:

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/directline_issues/dl4_sterile.htm

erickthepilot
4th Mar 2006, 11:23
Thanks guys and another point that I heard it that,
Below 10000' as rules of sterile cockpit using devices such as cameras are forbidden and your records ( photo or video ) may be used as evidence of this subject matter.

PENKO
4th Mar 2006, 13:14
Where can I find this rule? Never heard of this. Is it American?

erickthepilot
5th Mar 2006, 08:29
I've heard it on the web site related for aviation pictures/plane spotters while I was surfing. But I haven't found that web site again.:bored:

Agaricus bisporus
23rd Mar 2006, 16:05
Perhaps Eric could clarify his original question. If he is asking about sterile cockpit rules then these are imposed by the airline in question and nothing to do with the regulating authority.

However I wonder if he is referring to national laws that some countries have/had that make photography of the ground from aircraft illegal. I seem to remember that France, Belgium or Germany had such a law some years ago - maybe some legal eagle can clarify this. As Eric's location is Turkey there may well be similar restrictions there, tho I doubt they still exist in the EU.

There are some pretty bizarre rules around the world on photographing objects that most of us would regard as perfectly normal, but the local governments still regard (even in this video phone age) as strategic secrets. Pics of harbours, bridges etc can get you into all sorts of trouble, let alone obsolete military jets if you are in Greece...

inept
23rd Mar 2006, 22:49
I've tried to get an answer from the FAA but have had zero luck as of now. I cant find anything in the FAR's, and havn't found squat on the net. It's interesting to watch some of 350.net's cockpit video. One guy in a 73 put the camera on the glareshield and left it there through the landing. In another it appears an MD-11 F/O's got the camera in his hand? I think?
But yet I havn't heard of anyone getting in trouble for it or we would of heard something by now if it had. I'm very curious as I'm starting a website dedicated to the 747 and alot of the video was shot by someone sitting in the jumpseat during taxi, takeoff and landing. I dont want to get busted either. Hmmmm. A good point was made that all portable electronic devices be turned off during takeoff and landing, but who's rule is that. I fly freight so I've never had to deal with it. So....I'm still looking for an answer and if I dig anything up I'll let you know.