PDA

View Full Version : Take off in turn

tmmorris
1st Mar 2006, 16:24
Could any of you nice mil ATCOs out there answer the following -

I fly regularly from a mil. airfield. One common clearance on departure is 'Line up in turn...' 'Clear takeoff in turn...'

Is there any particular guidance on the spacing I need to leave, or is this basically up to me? Usually I'm in a Cherokee behind a Tutor, i.e. they climb at essentially the same speed (if not rate!)

Tim

Pierre Argh
1st Mar 2006, 17:22
No guidance... in fact the "T/O in turn" call must be covered by a local orders (for expedition) as it is not generally permitted by military ATC regulations.

The Controller would, I assume (hope?), only issue such a clearance to similar speed/weight a/c to avoid problems in the climb out with wake turbulence etc.

tmmorris
1st Mar 2006, 21:15
Yes, that figures - behind something heavier I usually get 'After the departing... caution rotor downwash' (it's usually that sort of heavier!)

Will check the base FOB, then, as it's probably in there somewhere.

Tim

neilmac
1st Mar 2006, 22:48
When i was there I thought it was only a/c similiar type who could take off in turn , however a cherokee could land behind a tutor 'clear land one' on if controller assessed 1500ft/3000ft depending on student or not Reckon must be a change in FOB.

Neil MAC

Pierre Argh
2nd Mar 2006, 20:58
Clear land one on is slightly different in that it is covered by JSP552, although specific conditions required before issuing that clearance are defined in individual unit orders.