PDA

View Full Version : johor flying club

chullan
1st Mar 2006, 11:49
hi all,
anybody in here knows abt ppl course offered by johor flying club. was searching for a place to get a ppl. cost wise it(S$7500) looks much lesser than the one in singapore flying club(S$ 20K-30K )... but dun know the validity of the course... anyway a ppl is still a ppl (i guess)... plz help me to decide.....

TinyBrain
1st Mar 2006, 14:50
Hii,

Malaysia PPL and Singapore PPL gives you different privileges.. and to obtain the PPL is affordable.. but to maintain is very costly... You will need to clock certain hrs per year to keep it current... I heard of Elite flying club in Senai Airport will cost you about S$7500...

Ermm... If you just wanna get some flying experiences, I don't think you need to spend that amount of $$.. If you want to embark into aviation career, you need at least an CPL/IR .. Which I heard amount to about RM150k... And if you hope to get into SIA cadet pilot with a PPL, ermm.. I would advise you to save the $$$ for better use..

I was in the cadet pilot phrase for about a yr before getting axed.. 90% of us were ab-initio, without flying experiences at all... During my second interview, we had 2 cabin crews and 1 guy with PPL, all three did not manage to get in.. Just my 2cents worth...

graco
2nd Mar 2006, 02:22
Hi Chullan,

Just to add on. Once you get you PPL in Malaysia, you might need to do a conversion to fly in Singapore...I think the best way to know this is to contact your local DCA for more information. Just something to consider and to get more information for you to make a decision.

Hi TinyBrain,

When you didn't get into SIA, what was your plan of action. Did you finance youself to get you flying licence or you re-apply for SIA. I too am trying to get into SIA a Cadet Pilot and I want to make a change of career.

Chullan, I am sorry for diverting of the original topic.

Cheers and take for you input.

chullan
2nd Mar 2006, 07:05
thanx for the replies guys.... actually my final goal is to apply for SIA cadet itself, but think its still a long way to go... me now going to 23 yrs only...sing PR with a local diploma currently workin.... had applied for it for a few times but so far no reply from them.... may b age is a factor coz i have seen in other topics tht a lot of guys with dip has gone through and am muslim (may b terrorism factor comes in).... well now am thinking abt to wait for 26.... but for the time being am planning to take a ppl so tht even if i couldnt make it atleast i can have some taste of flying... have been dreaming of becoming a pilot since childhood.... so cant let it go like that...
anyway like to ask somethin... how many hours of flyin do i need to keep the ppl alive???

NinerVictor
2nd Mar 2006, 08:20
Chullan,

This is an extract from the CAAS website:

3.7 How can I renew my PPL?

You will have to fulfil the following :-

i) Pass a Singapore Class 2 medical with a CAAS DME within the month of licence expiry

ii) Prepare a Singapore crossed cheque/money order/cashier's order of $39 (applicants age 40 years and above) and $78 (applicants below 40 years old) made payable to 'CAAS'

iii) Show evidence in your flying logbook with certification from the flying instructor of your flying club that you have accumulated a minimum of 5 hours total flying experience in the period of 12 months prior to the expiry of the licence, of which 2 hours must be dual flying.

You can find other licensing info at:

http://www.caas.gov.sg/caas/level3.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302024344&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181138#Flightoperations

9V

chullan
2nd Mar 2006, 10:15
iii) Show evidence in your flying logbook with certification from the flying instructor of your flying club that you have accumulated a minimum of 5 hours total flying experience in the period of 12 months prior to the expiry of the licence, of which 2 hours must be dual flying.

juz 5hrs for 12 months..... that sounds quite easy to keep it alive....

thnx 9v

NinerVictor
2nd Mar 2006, 12:42
Chullan,

5 hrs of flying in S'pore plus annual medical upkeep isn't all that affordable for most people, so it's great that you are able to afford it. Do check with CAAS on the procedure and requirements to convert a Malaysian PPL to a CAAS one. Cheers.

9V

chullan
2nd Mar 2006, 16:15
i know its still on the high side for all even to me.... but there is one way... dun convert ur licence straight away.... juz keep it as malaysian... fly in malaysia..get a few hours of experience from there... rental in malaysia is oso cheap(think so)

lorads
2nd Mar 2006, 23:51
i know its still on the high side for all even to me.... but there one way... dun convert ur licence straight away.... juz keep it as malaysian... fly in malaysia... rental in malaysia is oso cheap(think so)

If you want to convert to SG ppl, dont forget the membership fees to pay any flying club in singapore, could be few K Sing$.:hmm:

chullan
3rd Mar 2006, 13:20
thnx all for the replies... like to know whether there r any of those in here who had taken a ppl from JFC????

SQ228
6th Mar 2006, 01:22
Chullan,

The min age of 26 to apply for SIA cadet program is only applicable for Singaporean. Since you said you are 23, then your are well qualified.

SIA recieved thousand of applications for cadet pilot every month. Try apply again if no call up for 1st interview after few months. Who know your letter went to wrong address. One thing about applying with SIA, you can't give up. There is one line pilot with SIA that I know personally went for the 1st interview 7 times before he finally got it. (show his determination & SQ like that)

Btw, don't let religion (especially muslim) discourage you from trying with SIA. They do give us the chance & there are muslim pilots in SIA, (although small in number compare to the whole population of SIA pilots) & I'm one of them.

lorads
6th Mar 2006, 07:57
think min age requirement is for both pink and blue IC holder, this was clarified during one of career talk, however I know someone who went all the interviews at age of 21 who is a PR. but could not make it (could or couldnt due to age?)

Chullan,

The min age of 26 to apply for SIA cadet program is only applicable for Singaporean. Since you said you are 23, then your are well qualified.

SIA recieved thousand of applications for cadet pilot every month. Try apply again if no call up for 1st interview after few months. Who know your letter went to wrong address. One thing about applying with SIA, you can't give up. There is one line pilot with SIA that I know personally went for the 1st interview 7 times before he finally got it. (show his determination & SQ like that)

Btw, don't let religion (especially muslim) discourage you from trying with SIA. They do give us the chance & there are muslim pilots in SIA, (although small in number compare to the whole population of SIA pilots) & I'm one of them.

SQ228
6th Mar 2006, 08:34
The youngest cadet during my time was a malaysian (no PR) who was 19 years old & hold STPM. He was even considered "under-age" that he need a signed consent letter from his parents before he could attend the OBS course (1st SIA cadet training programme).

SQ228
6th Mar 2006, 08:51
think min age requirement is for both pink and blue IC holder, this was clarified during one of career talk, however I know someone who went all the interviews at age of 21 who is a PR. but could not make it (could or couldnt due to age?)

I doubt it is due to his age. It is not easy to impress the selection board & they really look into many factors. Heck, I didn't know why I was selected before & why other people (who went to the final interview together) were not selected. No reason is given.

graco
6th Mar 2006, 08:57
Hi SQ228,

I may I know what is the max age for to apply for SIA? I know I read it somewhere but I can seem to find the info now...I hope you don't informing me. Thanks bro.

cheers

SQ228
7th Mar 2006, 00:47
Hi SQ228,

I may I know what is the max age for to apply for SIA? I know I read it somewhere but I can seem to find the info now...I hope you don't informing me. Thanks bro.

cheers

On the paper (can't remember where I read it) it is 32 yrs old. Having said that, I've met a cadet who was 33 yrs old when he joined. Personally I find it amazing (and very grateful!) that SIA set max age as 32 yrs old while other airline like MAS has max age of 26.

billkill
7th Mar 2006, 01:38
Having a PPL is actually a good thing. Though some do get cut off during the second interview... The reasons being....those are the people just getting a PPL for the sake of showing passion but don't know anything else...known commonly as minimal pilots.... The other reason is that many of the aspiring pilots go to johor to get their ppl. That is a well NO-NO. It's just as good as buying a license. It's the same as a degree...you graduated from some private unknown unversity compared to a recognised one. Yes it is still a degree as what many will argue but the value of it makes a difference in this reality. So to those people who just want to take a hit at flying first, please choose reputable instruction... spend a little more is better than saving and devaluing the worth. Just my 2 cents.

graco
7th Mar 2006, 04:36
SQ228,

Thank for the update :ok: and I am sorry for missing a word in my last post :sad:....I'm just waiting for a reply from SIA...and I think I need to sent my application in again...anyway bro thanks.

cheers

SQ228
7th Mar 2006, 05:46
Having a PPL is actually a good thing. Though some do get cut off during the second interview... The reasons being....those are the people just getting a PPL for the sake of showing passion but don't know anything else...known commonly as minimal pilots.... The other reason is that many of the aspiring pilots go to johor to get their ppl. That is a well NO-NO. It's just as good as buying a license. It's the same as a degree...you graduated from some private unknown unversity compared to a recognised one. Yes it is still a degree as what many will argue but the value of it makes a difference in this reality. So to those people who just want to take a hit at flying first, please choose reputable instruction... spend a little more is better than saving and devaluing the worth. Just my 2 cents.

As far as SIA cadet pilot program is concerned, having PPL can be pros & cons. The learning curve in SIA is very steep & having PPL (or flying experience) give you an added advantage, but instructors usually have higher expectation from you compare to ab-initio guys. There was one cadet with CPL/IR rating from Australia who didn't make through seletar flying stage. Needless to say, wether or not you are PPL holder, be ready to work really really hard to go through. Things however are getting better in SFC with the depature of CBS in Seletar & LB in Jandakot.

For those with extra big money, MFA in Melaka or Massey University in NZ are 2 flying schools where SIA/CAAS would recognize your CPL/IR that you can skip Seletar/Jandakot phase & go straight to Learjet training.

But for those without extra money like me, don't feel bad, 90% of cadets in SFC have no PPL & majority went thorugh ok.:ok:

graco,
good luck!:ok:

graco
7th Mar 2006, 06:05
Hey SQ228, thank bro :ok:

demandpump
8th Mar 2006, 13:13
I was in the cadet pilot phrase for about a yr before getting axed.. 90% of us were ab-initio, without flying experiences at all... During my second interview, we had 2 cabin crews and 1 guy with PPL, all three did not manage to get in.. Just my 2cents worth...

Hi TinyBrain,
Don't be too disappointed at being axed. I guess you would have about 100 plus flying hours by now...all gotten free. If you're still keen on flying, why not take this and continue your flying elsewhere and complete your CPL. I don't think you would have much more to go to complete those hours.

All the best.

TinyBrain
9th Mar 2006, 08:23
hii demandpump,

thanks for the encouragement.. nah, I don't have 100hrs.. we spent our first month in OBS, 6 months in ground school.. and flying in Seletar in very minimum.. About 10hrs.
Went on to Jandakot and flew another few hrs there, as it took about 10weeks for our Australia SPL to process.. Before obtaining the SPL, we couldn't fly solo... And I got axed the very next day I received my SPL.. :ugh:

demandpump
9th Mar 2006, 11:48
Hi TinyBrain,
Why were you axed, may I ask? Did they tell you?

chullan
9th Mar 2006, 14:43
that sounds really bad tiny brain.... dun mind could u plz share ur experience...

9M-
13th Mar 2006, 15:27

With respect to what billkill had said above, i presume he/she had not personally flown in malaysia before. Many people or should i say singaporeans will have the common mindset that flying in malaysia must be dangerous due to the aircraft, standards of instructors, maybe even buying a licence. I personally had flown alot in malaysia and i got my licence there as well. I would say flying in malaysia and singapore is quite similar both in standards and also safety wise.

If flying in malaysia is of low standard and unsafe, then why will CAAS approve the flying clubs in johor to conduct the navigational phase for singapore restricted PPL holders?

Anyway what i want to get across in this tread is that do not judge a book by its cover until you know whats the true content of it :)

Btw if anyone of you are interested in learning to fly in malaysia, i can give you more informations. Take care and safe flying.

bellyfluffer
13th Mar 2006, 18:25
Btw if anyone of you are interested in learning to fly in malaysia, i can give you more informations. Take care and safe flying.

already have my uk ppl but im due to arrive in malaysia on the 26 april for 2weeks for a friends wedding, as i have to get around i was thinking...
'what better way than fly!'

any help, advice and information would be really appreciated!!:ok:

thanks

billkill
13th Mar 2006, 21:49
Sorry but I did not say anything about the safety or low standards.

What I meant was how the panel regards it. What I am saying is, do not go to malaysia, get a license, come back, apply for SIA. It shows that you are just there to "improve" your resume. This is because there are lots of them who like to take the easy and cheaper way out and eventually don't get in and start whining. Sorry to say but a few fellas have done that here. So just giving my 2 cents worth.

I did not say that malaysia had lousy instructors. All I said was to choose carefully. Choose good instruction. I think you have to agree with me that there are many out there who ain't good instructors and even flying schools. It's everywhere around this world. I flew in malaysia before, in fact, I am with a malaysian and thailand flying club. And I prefer flying around thailand and malaysia for leisure.

Correct. Do not judge a book by it's cover. But when you only have time to browse, the cover gives the best impression. (The interview panel doesn't have 24 hrs to hear your life story of your passion for flying, make the best out of it when you sell yourself.)

lorads
14th Mar 2006, 00:50
already have my uk ppl but im due to arrive in malaysia on the 26 april for 2weeks for a friends wedding, as i have to get around i was thinking...
thanks

In most clubs, usually if hold foreign pilot licences, the clubs are unable to authorise you to fly the aircraft solo as PIC, however you can talk to them maybe to have a instructor or co-pilot with you, btw are you coming to johor or somewhere else? there not many plane available for tour at this moment in Johor, even weekdays sometimes fully booked. you can PM me if u need more info.

lorads
14th Mar 2006, 00:51
thnx all for the replies... like to know whether there r any of those in here who had taken a ppl from JFC????

JFC means Johor Flying Club or Flying Clubs in Johor? :rolleyes:

well I get my lic from JFC if you need more info, PM me.

9M-
14th Mar 2006, 00:58

thanks

Hi bellyfluffer,
If you have a UK ppl, you can apply for a validation, do a check ride with me and you will be ready to do some solo flying. However, getting your validation done will require a month or more. If you are only here for 2 weeks, most likely you will not be able to fly solo. But flying with an instructor will be no problem.

There are 3 flying clubs now in johor malaysia. They are Elite Flying Club, Fras Flying Club and Johor Flying Club. Fras Flying Club Has 1 cessna 172 and 2 microlites. Johor is currently restructuring their club and might not be able to provide any planes. Elite flying club have 2 cessna 152, 1 piper28 and 1 cessna 172. Anyway for more information you can search the internet for their respective websites.

Hope to see you flying around this region soon. :)

9M-
14th Mar 2006, 01:17
Sorry but I did not say anything about the safety or low standards.

What I meant was how the panel regards it. What I am saying is, do not go to malaysia, get a license, come back, apply for SIA. It shows that you are just there to "improve" your resume. This is because there are lots of them who like to take the easy and cheaper way out and eventually don't get in and start whining. Sorry to say but a few fellas have done that here. So just giving my 2 cents worth.

I did not say that malaysia had lousy instructors. All I said was to choose carefully. Choose good instruction. I think you have to agree with me that there are many out there who ain't good instructors and even flying schools. It's everywhere around this world. I flew in malaysia before, in fact, I am with a malaysian and thailand flying club. And I prefer flying around thailand and malaysia for leisure.

Correct. Do not judge a book by it's cover. But when you only have time to browse, the cover gives the best impression. (The interview panel doesn't have 24 hrs to hear your life story of your passion for flying, make the best out of it when you sell yourself.)

From your past 2 treads, i can still see that you are speaking with a perception that flying in malaysia is of a lower standard than flying elsewhere. What makes you think going to malaysia to get a license is "The easy way out"? I agree with cheaper due to the fuel price and ringgit but easy way? i have to disagree.

When i was flying in australia in one of the reputable club, i got my first solo in less than 15 hrs. When i came over to malaysia to fly seeing so many students so far the average student that can get their 1st solo is in the range of 20-30hrs. Why is that so? After some time i realised that it is the standard the instructor place on the student for safety that it is so.

Like you have said, not all clubs in malaysia are good clubs and not all are bad it applies to all clubs around the world. Are you saying if i graduated from Singapore flying club or one of the australian prestigeous flying clubs it will be better on the resume as compared to clubs in malaysia? I totally disagree with you. What makes a good student to fly well is not the club in concern, it is the personal aptitude of the student as well as the dedication and knowledgeable instructor that he/she will have. I can graduate from the best flying club in the world but if i cant even fly well whats the point?

So to conclude i feel that if one can get a cheap way to learn flying and also find a good instructor to teach them to attain their ppl, why not?

No offence if i sound rude in anyway just want the general public to have a better understanding and not build perceptions so easily like what most humans will.

lorads
14th Mar 2006, 02:32
From your past 2 treads, i can still see that you are speaking with a perception that flying in malaysia is of a lower standard than flying elsewhere. What makes you think going to malaysia to get a license is "The easy way out"? I agree with cheaper due to the fuel price and ringgit but easy way? i have to disagree.

When i was flying in australia in one of the reputable club, i got my first solo in less than 15 hrs. When i came over to malaysia to fly seeing so many students so far the average student that can get their 1st solo is in the range of 20-30hrs. Why is that so? After some time i realised that it is the standard the instructor place on the student for safety that it is so.

Like you have said, not all clubs in malaysia are good clubs and not all are bad it applies to all clubs around the world. Are you saying if i graduated from Singapore flying club or one of the australian prestigeous flying clubs it will be better on the resume as compared to clubs in malaysia? I totally disagree with you. What makes a good student to fly well is not the club in concern, it is the personal aptitude of the student as well as the dedication and knowledgeable instructor that he/she will have. I can graduate from the best flying club in the world but if i cant even fly well whats the point?

So to conclude i feel that if one can get a cheap way to learn flying and also find a good instructor to teach them to attain their ppl, why not?

No offence if i sound rude in anyway just want the general public to have a better understanding and not build perceptions so easily like what most humans will.

well said ..

billkill
14th Mar 2006, 08:12
Fyi, I am not saying that malaysian flying clubs are lousy and that you people should not go for it. I am targeting those who aspire to join SIA and share whatever info I have.

Maybe this is not suited for this thread (should be in the SIA Cadet one) but it's not my perception. It's the panel's. The people who have the power. I am just giving advise on those that consider just finding a cheap and quick way out just to get into SIA. It doesn't work like that. They do base on where you took your instruction, how many hours and all that. This this how they judge and also many factors are put into consideration. It's not up to me as I am not one of them.

However, if you love flying, want to learn, by all means, I agree with 9M-. As I said before, I do fly in malaysia. I have friends all over who fly. I have met instructors that instruct just for the money and some that don't give a damn about their students. That's why I mentioned also...please choose good instruction. If it's cheap, that's great. I personally have a passion for flying and safety and really do not wish anyone I know would learn from these people. (few of them are from australian flying clubs too). I am sure 9M- knows more than me about flying in malaysia. You all can get info from him if you wish to take up flying there. Recs are very important.

By the way,
I advise those trying to get into SIA with whatever info I can share. I am not judging standards as I don't have the right to. Moreover, it's subjective.

airbusboeingdriver
14th Mar 2006, 16:01
hi guys,

cool down! let us not discuss about standard here btn countries,clubs etc,etc.

for those who are aspired to join MAS/SIA as cadet pilot, frankly speaking it does not matter much whether you have or not a ppl/cpl. it will atmost give you one point on your interest in flying.

for example what is important for MAS cadet,you need to have spm/stpm with bahasa subject a must, and for SIA you need to have 5 'O' levels inclu maths,science and english all in one sitting.

ppl/flying clubs are good for people who like to try out some flying experience,to assess themselves and see if it is suitable for them before proceed one step further planning their flying career.rather than changing their mind half way thru their cpl/atpl course after investing huge amount of money.

the flying clubs in sin/msia are all quite good,whether which to go is all up to one depending on convinence of location,type of aircrafts prefered, cost etc.

9M-
15th Mar 2006, 00:16
Ya. I think i got your point billkill. Like the panels from SIA they are also victims of perceptioning. Some might think learning flying in johor is a no and some might think going all the way to johor just to learn flying is a commendable prove of passion.

I personally felt touch when i see some students travelling to senai airport by bus requiring changing of a few buses and travelling time of 2 -3 hours. Just to get there and realised that they cant fly due to weather and have to travel back another 2-3 hours. Maybe this are things that we dont get to realised. Anyway whatever it is i understand that you mean well to advise the prospect cadets. Nice knowing you btw maybe we can fly together one day :)

carlvinson
16th Mar 2006, 19:52
I don't understand why some people would say flying in Malaysia is no good. I am from Singapore and am now in the US where I got my PPL. I am returning to SG this year and I cannot wait to fly in Malaysia! There're so many places to explore in Malaysia and so much more airspace in Malaysia, how can one not like flying in Malaysia! You can't do any fun x-country in SG. X-country is what flying is all about. I would infer that since Malaysia has more infrastructure for GA, the level of instruction should be up to standard at the reputable flying clubs.

If I had a choice to learn my PPL in either Malaysia or SG, I'll choose Malaysia.

9M-
17th Mar 2006, 15:09
I don't understand why some people would say flying in Malaysia is no good. I am from Singapore and am now in the US where I got my PPL. I am returning to SG this year and I cannot wait to fly in Malaysia! There're so many places to explore in Malaysia and so much more airspace in Malaysia, how can one not like flying in Malaysia! You can't do any fun x-country in SG. X-country is what flying is all about. I would infer that since Malaysia has more infrastructure for GA, the level of instruction should be up to standard at the reputable flying clubs.

If I had a choice to learn my PPL in either Malaysia or SG, I'll choose Malaysia.

Hi Carlvinson,
If you are interested to do any flying in malaysia using your FAA licence you can contact me. I can brief you on the steps to get your validation etc.

chullan
17th Mar 2006, 19:37
its been a while since i checked this thread, but looks like a heated conversation is going on... cool down guys... this was not my initial idea of opening this thread... anyway i understand u guys do have some points...

well as i said earlier in this thread i am a guy with a great passion(atleast i know abt this) abt flyin... all i wanna do is get into tht cockpit n try out some flyin... i juz wanna know whether it would suit me or not..i gotta class 3 n 2 licence but i seldom drives car coz it dun appeal (that doesnt mean that i hate cars or drivin) to me much instead i juz admire them only, but bikes... i love them... gives me more freedom... n i feels like they r made for me... so like that if i feel it like am likin it then i will proceed to pursue my dreams if by anychance i dun (which i think is impossible) then i will continue to b juz an admirer as i am rite now...

i can see tht u guys r talkin abt the standard of instructors.... welll could u suggest some names???? atleast ppl like me would know who to find...

billkill
18th Mar 2006, 05:45
hey there
9M, a lot of people are victims of perception. But what one should trust most is your own heart. Oh yes, it does suck with unexpected weather having to travel all the way down. But that makes one a prepared pilot doesn't it? Check the weather in advance...and such. It would be an honor flying with you.

I love flying Xcountry in Malaysia and Thailand. And definitely prefer flying in Malaysia than in Singapore. There are many more things to do and see. The excitement and anticipation is not something you can get from the skies in Singapore. Although I am not very active these days in leisure flying, due to work and family, I still make it a point to go for a short trip with some friends who are flying enthisiasts, at least once a year to Malaysia.