PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the truth about this?

robin
28th Feb 2006, 09:19
From the flyer site

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=20668&start=0

I've highlighted the interesting bit, but this sounds an amazing imposition if true. Does anyone have any idea as to what is going on and why it hasn't been picked up before?

".....you cannot use an aircraft with a Private C of A (a CAA only C of A) for hire or reward. This means you cannot hire it to your local flying club or a friend.

Under EASA however, things are, as we speak, still very muddy. I have spoken to my CAA surveyor about this issue on a number of occasions, the last one being Friday. EASA categories are Normal, Utility, Aerobatic and Commuter (refer to the EASA website www.easa.eu.int, find CS-23 page 1-A-1). The Normal and Utility are in the EASA Standard category.
Confused yet?
My surveyor has advised me that with the disseminated information presently in the hands of the CAA, if the aircraft is in Normal and Utility category or just in the Utility category, it can, as we speak, be used for hire and reward. There is no Public Transport category. Therefore, your Private cat aircraft will fall into either Normal and Utility or just Utility. In these categories, you CAN hire your aircraft out.

With regard to engine lifes, there is a rumble going through the CAA as we read.
At present, you can operate an engine beyond manufacturers TBO provided it is inspected every 12 months or 100 hours in accordance with Generic Requirement 24 and deemed satisfactory for further use by an appropriately licenced or approved engineer. GR 24 replaces the old Airworthiness Notice 35. The title has changed, the content has not.

If your aircraft is operating in the Public Transport or Normal and or Utility category, you can run the engine on extension for 20% of the manufacturers recommended overhaul. This extension refers to both total hours and calendar. If your aircraft is not to be used for the purposes of Public Transport (AOC work) nor for hire and reward, you may, GR24 satisfaction being granted, run the engine indefinately.

HOWEVER, the rumble. Ah, yes.

Airworthiness Directives due at engine oiverhaul.
Up to present, these AD's were due at overhaul. Well, if the engine hasn't gone for overhaul yet, then they are not due. Right? WRONG

Apparently, it has been decided that there are various Airworthiness Directives that, according to the CAA legal department, MUST be satisfied prior to the issuance of an extension under GR24. (ruling awaited)

9000 ish GA aircraft in the UK. Lets say 15% are on or about to reach TBO. That is 1350 engines that will require the attention of Overhaul shops prior to the grant of extensions. Will it be worth it?

Before you decide, there is a rumour going around that a certain Overhauler is the one who rocked the boat with the CAA about this one.

Safety based or greed? You decide. In the meantime, have a look at your logbooks.

Sorry to be so negative. It doesn't half take the fun out of aviation. "