View Full Version : ABZ BE200 Incident Press Report

14th Jun 2001, 14:00
From http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk

A dramatic crash landing at Aberdeen Airport yesterday saw an aeroplane carrying six people skid 560 yards along the runway.

The Aberdeen pilot at the controls of the twin-engined Beech King Air 200, owned by Gama Aviation, was hailed a hero for saving the lives of the passengers and crew, who emerged unscathed from the aircraft following the early- morning incident. Investigations were continuing last night in a bid to determine why the entire undercarriage collapsed during the emergency landing.

Two passengers on board the plane were to resume their journey to Humberside yesterday afternoon by air.

John Ringrosecorrect, 49, and Mike Smith, 51, spoke of their ordeal and remarkable escape while they enjoyed a well-deserved pint in an airport bar.

"It could easily have gone the other way," said Mr Ringrose.

The offshore safety adviser said the plane had been in the air for less than 15 minutes when Captain Andrew McCubbin announced there might be a problem with the undercarriage. He told his passengers they were returning to Dyce so the crew could make sure the wheels were down and locked.

Mr Ringrose said he heard a "clump and a crash" when the plane touched down just before 7.15am, but the captain held the craft on course until it skidded to a stop, some 560 yards down the runway.

"Just a split second after it landed we felt the undercarriage give way and she skidded along. There was not really a terrible noise. There was a clunking sound and we knew that the undercarriage had failed."

He said the propeller began hammering into the ground.

"She started to go slightly to the side and he brought her back on course.

"The crew was absolutely excellent," the father-of-three said. "It was a frightening experience but they kept it calm. Everybody remained calm. There was no panic. It was very strange.

"I've heard of other people who have crashed and you don't know when it's going to happen to you. I always wondered how I would feel but it was that quick I didn't have time to think anything.

"The pilot had killed the engines and the plane swerved. The co-pilot was at the back of the plane in seconds and had the rear door open, and we were all out safely. It only lasted minutes. There was no time to panic. It was only later that I noticed my hands shaking," he said. "The pilot and co-pilot showed absolute professionalism in dealing with the situation."

Mr Smith, 51, a production technician from Louth, also praised the crew. "We didn't have time to think. The pilot and co-pilot were so professional in everything they did, and they got us all out so fast. They certainly saved our lives."

Both men said the first thing they had done was call their families to let them know they were safe. "I certainly did thank the pilot afterwards for saving my life," said Mr Ringrose, of Grimsby, who also praised co-pilot Andrew Chalmers for his quick thinking.

The 10-seat Beech King Air was carrying four passengers and two crew when it left for Humberside at 7am yesterday. Soon after take-off the crew found they could not retract the undercarriage which remained in the down position.

The passengers remained strapped in their seats after Capt McCubbin, 45, one of the company's most experienced pilots, informed them of the problem just after take-off. Flight GM443 flew out over the sea, following a "normal circuit pattern" and the crew went through their operating procedures, carrying out various safety checks. Air traffic controllers were then informed the plane was not going to continue its journey and it returned to Aberdeen.

A full emergency was mounted at the airport. The emergency services were on standby when the plane was brought in for a normal landing on the airport's one fixed-wing runway. On touching down, however, the undercarriage collapsed and the plane dropped on to its belly. It then skidded 560 yards along the runway before grinding to a halt.

Three fire tenders smothered the aircraft in foam. The only leakage from the plane appeared to be hydraulic fluid, it was confirmed later, and damage to the aircraft was not extensive.

The ambulance service confirmed two people were treated at the scene for minor injuries.

Gama Aviation operations director Captain Steve Wright said the company hoped to get the plane back into the air once repairs had been carried out.

Aberdeen Airport operations director and acting managing director Peter Noyce correctsaid when the plane touched down all three wheels, nosewheel and wing wheels, had given way.

"It is very unusual for an entire undercarriage to collapse, normally it is one or other of the wheels."

The plane had skidded around 560 yards down the runway, he said. There had been no fire or fuel leakage, only a small hydraulic spillage had to be subsequently removed from the runway. It was the first emergency of its kind in four years, said Mr Noyce.

Pointing out the pilot appeared to have made a perfect approach before closing down both engines as a precaution as the nose touched while keeping the plane on a level keel, he said: "It was a textbook landing for that type of incident."

The aircraft was later hoisted by crane on to a lowloader to be taken away for detailed examination. Mr Wright said the firm's fleet of three similar aircraft was already being examined, but would not be grounded as there was no reason to suspect a problem with the type of plane generally.

He said the crew had been asked to go home for their normal rest period.

"We are pleased the outcome was a safe one. They did a good job," he said. Mr Wright added "We are satisfied the crew operated in accordance with company procedures. We are now in the throes of trying to find out exactly what went wrong and are working with the authorities."

While North Sea operations were able to continue from the airport's three helicopter runways, the blocked main runway disrupted fixed-wing flights for around three hours. Last night, the Air Accident Investigation Branch confirmed the incident was under investigation.

14th Jun 2001, 14:09
Did they say 560 yards down the runway?

17th Jun 2001, 12:57
Thanks for printing the most "tabloid" story about it you could find!

Why not try:
bbc.co.uk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_1386000/1386254.stm) or
thisisnorthscotland.co.uk (http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/scripts/edarchdisplay.asp?section=Local+news&ID=971536&source=NSCO)

where the journalism is just that little bit more, how shall I put it, broadsheet...

Edited to make the page fit better with an ultra long URL

[This message has been edited by Capt PPRuNe (edited 17 June 2001).]

Cyclic Hotline
17th Jun 2001, 21:21
The story above is identical to the reputable "broadsheet" link you quote, they are both the P&J.

20th Jun 2001, 16:01
Sorry, yep, I look like a pr*ck now!

I started to read it and I was convinced it was an earlier version, which was much more tabloid.

"Read what's written, not what you though was written"

Apols Lat,Lon.