PDA

View Full Version : Future for a New Hiree at AC

alwaysflying
27th Feb 2006, 10:41
Hi ! I interviewed in Aug and did the pysch testing in Dec but am still waiting for a course date or a PFO letter. Can't really understand the long wait, my exp is 5000 hrs TT, 1200 Airbus PIC,plus an MBA.
When I interviewed only about 30 new hirees had started but now it is close to 150. I need some info as to how the career of a new hiree is expected to shape in the coming years since I am 37 yrs of age, presently making over 100k. In Aug I thought the move would still be better in the long run, but now I am not sure ?? Any advice welcome.............
At the interview I was told that with the planned expansion and hiring I could expect a left seat of an EMB in 2-3 yrs making about 125k. Will this still hold if I get called now ??
What are the present seniority nos of the junior most guys at the undermentioned positions
1. EMB Capt
2. A320 FO
3. 767 FO
4. 340/330 FO
5. A320 Capt
6. 767 Capt
Guys I really need some feedback and all will be appreciated, and is there some way I can find out why such a long wait ?

breguet
27th Feb 2006, 12:11
I do not believe that you will be in the left seat of an EMB in 2 or 3 years time (i.e. after being hired). It is totally unrealistic.

In 2 or 3 years , you might still be in the right seat of an EMB or at best in the right seat of an A320 (which I doubt however). Unless, there is tremendous growth.

Remember, that there is right now 238 Relief Pilots that might want that EMB Left Seat without counting 320 F/Os...

For your info.

Neophyte
27th Feb 2006, 14:22
I don't work there, BUT from a strictly numbers point of view here is how my math sees it.
3300 Pilots (give or take)
About Half are Capts (1500)
About Half are FOs (1500)
Relief Pilots (300)
If big Red has hired 150 to date (thereabouts) a new hire last summer is only in the bottom 5% of the seniority list.
While it may be very possible to go FO on the 320, I have trouble seeing anyone go captain in 2 years time, give it till 2010. This doesn't consider the reality of people bidding on certain equipment for either lifestyle or base but...
Again, I don't work there, but it would be sweet to be capt in 5 years!!!
Regards,
Neo

meaw
27th Feb 2006, 18:10
As of the last bid:

Most junior A320 FO is in YYZ and was hired this summer (2005),seniority around 3000 out of 3100 or so.
Most junior EMJ Captain has about 4 years at AC (the last few Captains are guys that just got recalled from furlough)
Most junior B767 FO,in YYZ of course is around 2400 of 3100 (about 7 years seniority)
Most junior A340 FO is around 2000 (about 8 years senioriry),most junior 320 Capt about the same (9 years)
These times may improve as there are many retirements coming (100-140 per year) and new aircraft coming as well.
Why it's taking so long to call you I don't know but if you haven't got a PFO letter by now I think your O.K.Even if they called you now I think you could be in the left seat of the EMJ in about 4 years (I doubt it will go less than that as the routes are improving and the pay is good) but you could definately hold 320 FO in under 2 years.
If you get hired at 37 you will be able to retire as a widebody Captain if nothing changes for the worst (takes about 20 years).
Also dont forget that AC still plans to hire around 600 guys after you in the next 2 years.Good luck!

micks2000
28th Feb 2006, 00:43
Anyone have any idea how long it would take to get YWG as a base? Thanks in advance.

wellfedCanuck
28th Feb 2006, 01:27
It's possible to be assigned there as a newhire. If you miss that, once you're off probation (1yr) and the NH position freeze (2 yrs?) you can bid for it.

Neophyte
28th Feb 2006, 13:57
Exactly how does the pay scale work when moving from aircraft to aircraft after probation is over?

If you are a 3 year FO on the 320, and you successfully bid 767 FO do you revert to year 1 FO pay on that machine or year 3 FO pay???

I have always wanted to ask that, I am now complete.

Regards,

N

wellfedCanuck
28th Feb 2006, 14:07
Once you're off flat salary (2 years now, I believe.... 4 when I joined in the '80s) you get paid for what you hold. The exception is something called the Pay Group which is a status-pay system for the RPs, RJ F/Os and EMJ F/Os. I don't understand the nuances of the PG except that it was meant as a way to compensate for newhires being assigned positions out of seniority.

However, to use your example- a 3'd year 320F would be paid 3'd yr B767F rates once he was "activated". This means that if the training department hadn't caught up to you by a specific date- you'd get '67 rates while still flying the 320.