PDA

View Full Version : North American ramp control

rubberjungle
26th Feb 2006, 12:09
I am a UK based longhaul pilot and regularly frequent the major US airports.
The ramp procedures constantly amaze me.
Less busy places like TPA are fine--no ramp control just work your own way to the gate no problems there.
DFW also works well in fine weather, - absolutely miles of space and plenty of ramp acess points.
PHL and EWR can be a bit of a disaster I/bound and o/bound a/c jostling to pass each other cul de sacs etc. They do both have a ramp control but I can't understand the lack of coordination between them and ground/tower.
ie. if they are busy you will finally get a push clearance but once pushed with engines running etc you are instructed to monitor ground, I have sat and waited and waited 20 or 30 mins many times. Burning loads of fuel and blocking the ramp. Surely ramp can delay the push untill ground have decided where you will fit into the traffic so saving fuel and not blocking the ramp.
It seems that the ramp guy is only bothered with pushing you because then it is job done and you are now somebody else's problem.
IAH, I recently had to emergency stop from 8kts, had taxied to our ramp exit point, told to monitor gnd, finally given clearance to taxy out with a hurry it up instruction--(jet blast--confined ramp--big heavy jet, go figure) we started to exit the ramp as instructed when a Continental RJ who was stationary waiting to enter rapidly accelerated towards us from a seperate taxiway 90* off and passed under our left wing hence the rapid stop.
Complained to GND who said "umm I don't know, guess he's working the ramp frequency maybe they cleared him in"
The problem was we were monitoring GND waiting to exit and he was monitoring Ramp waiting to enter, and they obviously do not communicate to each other as the incident report we filed revealed. Good airmanship suggests monitoring both and at some airports (ORD) this is required but not at IAH, in the future I will but it is not always easy if both freq's are very busy and the ramp guy has handed you off to GND.
The Conti guy was stationery when we started moving with our taxi light on.
There is slick but there is also dangerous and this was an example of the latter.

Keep it safe guys.

Georgeablelovehowindia
26th Feb 2006, 13:34
I operated a charter flight into KEWR several years ago. Having prided ourselves in making it all the way into the gate without raising the ire of ATC - someone else was getting it loud and strong - the fun started when we had to reposition the aircraft for the outbound crew! TWA were doing the handling, but Continental supplied the tug and towbar. At one frantic stage of the proceedings, we were trying to talk on five separate frequencies: TWA, Continental, Ramp, Ground, and the Port of New York Authority! (Can't remember how the last lot got involved, but dull it wasn't!) :uhoh:

rubberjungle
26th Feb 2006, 14:05
Oh yes the beloved New York port authority at EWR, some gates are Conti controlled others are Port controlled and some are both!! Land 22L trying to monitor TWR for crossing clearance 22R, sometimes given while still decelerating (the parallel runways are quite close together here) then while crossing having GND shout at you to call the port, I will not accept a runway crossing or entering clearance without both pairs of ears monitoring the frequency. The place is a disaster waiting to happen.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Feb 2006, 14:59
Aaahh.... "Follow the greens..."

Scott Voigt
27th Feb 2006, 21:55
Most of our airports, the ramp is run by the airline, or the airport authority and for the most part, they have NO communicating with ground, I expect that we probably don't want to talk to all of them either considering that they all would want to have some special request, and at the busy places, it is all that you can do to just keep your head above water with your duties on ground.

Most of the places that I have flown to, the crew talks with the ramp folks before they even talk to ground and find out which gate and alley they are going to into, so when they talk with ground they know where they are going (the crew). Now that said, it doesn't mean that the ramp folks don't sometimes bung it all up <G>...

You are right, at DFW we are lucky to have an abundance of concrete.