PDA

View Full Version : PPL In Flight Checklists

beachbum88
25th Feb 2006, 10:57
Hi, i'm Tom and i am currently studying for my JAA PPL and i am unsure if i know all my checks such as FREDA BUFEH etc so if anyone would kindly note them down for me that would be much aprieciated!
Thanks
Tom:D

2Donkeys
25th Feb 2006, 10:59
Hi Tom. What happened to the PPL you told us you already had when you posted on January 10th?

Confabulous
25th Feb 2006, 17:13
What happened to the PPL you told us you already had when you posted on January 10th?

2D, do you ever give any remotely useful advice without sounding like a crotchety pedant? I can't believe anyone would search someone's previous posts to see if he was worth giving advice to. And then replying with something utterly irrelevant and juvenile.

Some welcome to Private Flying :mad: :yuk:

Welcome Tom, someone will be along shortly to answer your questions politely :p

All I know so far is FREDA - Fuel Radio Engine Direction Altitude

link4
25th Feb 2006, 18:48
Never heard BUFEH as an acronym but maybe...

BUFEH - Breaks Undercarriage Flaps Engine (T & P's) Harness - safety belts etc

Hope that helps

helicopter-redeye
25th Feb 2006, 18:49
Tom,

FREDA

every 10 mins

Fuel (sufficient for trip?/ movement since last check) & Frictions (set or removed for landing)

Radio (freq's set?) & Transponder (on from ATZ boundary/ off at ATZ boundary) - set to correct code

Engine Ts & Ps (in acceptable range?) & Nr in acceptable range

Direction Indicator (correct heading & aligned with DR Compass)

Altitude (set to correct QNH/ QFE)

2Donkeys
25th Feb 2006, 18:54
2D, do you ever give any remotely useful advice without sounding like a crotchety pedant?

I don't know. I thought I did quite well on the Military jets thread and flying with Military Markings in France. Sorry to disappoint, I will aim to live up to the quality of your answers...

:mad:

Footless Halls
25th Feb 2006, 19:35
BUFEH. isn't that Bluffer?

TotalBeginner
25th Feb 2006, 20:20
B-BRAKES-OFF / Pressure Checked
U-UNDERCARRIAGE-DOWN
M-MIXTURE-Fully Rich
F-FUEL-Pump ON, Select BOTH / Tank with greatest contents, Contents sufficient for G/A
I-INSTRUMENTS-Di Synchronised, Altimeter, T's and P's Checked
C-CARB HEAT-CHECK
H-HATCHES-Hatches, Doors and harnesses secure

edymonster
25th Feb 2006, 21:06
For when you are doing some stalls and tight turns with you instructor there is HASELL

Height

Airframe

Security

Engine

and most important LOOKOUT!!!!!!

this the can be abbreviated to HELL after you have done the intial HASELL check.

Cricket23
25th Feb 2006, 21:59
Tom,
Whilst I'm sure you'll get lots of useful advice from fellow 'pooners, I would recommend that you have a word with you instructor, as whilst some of the acronyms will be similar the may change slightly for different types of aeroplanes.

For instance, for me, the 'BUMFICH' mentioned by Totalbeginner is different because I fly an aeroplane with 1 tank, but with a variable prop. So for me it's:
B-BRAKES-OFF
U-UNDERCARRIAGE-DOWN (even tho' it's fixed for me!)
M-MIXTURE-Fully Rich (even tho' for my aeroplane I can't vary it)
F-FUEL-Pump ON,
C- Carb heat on
H-HATCHES-Hatches, Doors and harnesses secure
I-INSTRUMENTS-Di Synchronised, Altimeter, T's and P's Checked
P-Propeller set as required.

I agree with the HASELL check acroymn, but for me the LOCATION 'L' also comes with a 'sub-plot' as my instructor also added A, B, C, D. These are:
A- Airfield (clear of any, including farm strips)
B- Built up areas (clear of)
C- Controlled airspace and cloud (clear of)
D- Danger areas (clear of)

Also, have a search in the instructors section, there was a similar thread on acroynms, although some of it was light hearted.

All the best.

C23.

MyData
26th Feb 2006, 08:07
On my personalised kneeboard I have the following info printed on the lower 4cm of a piece A5 under the plastic cover:

CONSPICUITY 7000 - HIJACK 7500 - RADIO 7600 - EMERGENCY 7700
P.Y.M. - G-XX, Type, Frm/To, Pos, Head, Alt, VFR, ETA, Request
L.C.A. - Lights, Camera (7000), Action (Rich & Cold)
F.E.R.A.L. - Flaps, Engine, Radios, Altimeter, Lights
F.R.E.D.A. - Fuel, Radios, Engine (carb ice check), Direction, Altimeter
H.A.S.E.L.L. - Height, Airframe, Security, Engine (c i check), Location, Lookout
B.U.M.F.F.I.C.H.L. - Brks, Ucrge, Mxtr, Fuel, Flaps, Instmnts, Carb, Hrness, Lights
W.O.S.S.S.S.S.S - Wind, Obstcles, Size, Shpe, Slpe, Srface, Sun, Sivilisation

TWIST - TURN - TIME - TALK | Vx 63 - Vy 79 - Vr 60 - Vl 65 - XW 17

25 Fuel / Mags / Prim. 20 Mayday. 15 Abeam 1flp. 10 Base 2flp Off Doors Final 2/3 1/3 3flp

This all fits in a space of about 12x4 cm and logically covers me from t/o to landing. I also had it printed and with me for my skills test with no complaints.

FYI - I also have another box 5x8cm just above this a list of local ATSUs and their type, frequencies and runway orientations, VOLMET and D&D.

I'll have the template to hand if anyone wants a copy, please PM me.

Oxeagle
26th Feb 2006, 12:14
Interesting how everyone seems to use slightly differing downwind checks! This is what i've been taught for downwind:

Brakes - off
Undercarriage - down
Mixture - rich
Pump (fuel) - on
Fuel - check contents, fullest tank selected
Instruments - QFE set, DI aligned
Ts/Ps - in the green
Carb heat - on
Harnesses/hatches - secured/closed

Keygrip
26th Feb 2006, 19:46
I never use a downwind check - I use a "pre-landing" check, as it's not always the case that I'll fly a downwind leg when joining the traffic pattern (so I wouldn't have a "trigger" to tell me to do the check).

Boingy
26th Feb 2006, 20:26
When crossing the hold about to line up for T/O

ATPL

Approach Clear

Transponder set to Alt

Pitot heat as required

Lights - Strobes/Landing Light

edymonster
26th Feb 2006, 21:02
I like that one ATPL. Cheers for that!!

Keygrip
26th Feb 2006, 22:38
If you want to make that into a "Frozen ATPL" (fATPL), as so many like to call the CPL/IR, you could add

Fuel Pump(s) On.

link4
27th Feb 2006, 09:57
oxeagle,

I use one similar to yours.

B
U
M
F
R Radio - Check frequency, volume etc..
A
S
S

I dont see where your check mentions anything about radios or maybe i have missed something :confused:

Kolibear
27th Feb 2006, 10:00
BUFEH - Breaks Undercarriage Flaps Engine

Sounds like a good landing to me......................

foxmoth
27th Feb 2006, 10:54
I dont see where your check mentions anything about radios or maybe i have missed something

Why check radios as part of a downwind/pre landing check? I was always taught and teach this, as part of the pre joining check F.R.E.D.A. The other thing I do downwind is to start with carb heat, then when you get to the 'C' at the end it has been hot for >10seconds and 'C' becomes 'carb heat - cold'.:ok:

TheOddOne
27th Feb 2006, 12:32
I'm with Keygrip in calling thses checks 'pre-landing' rather than 'downwind' as my home base only has a left or right base join (depending upon runway in use)

Re. giving a decent >10 sec carb heat check, I pause at the point of selecting 'hot', having stated out loud the rpm setting beforehand and give a running commentary on having a REALLY good look round for other traffic, restoring to 'cold' and 'revs returned to original value' just before turning/joining base.

With our small circuit at Denham, you've got to work quite hard to get everything in - call 'downwind' as soon as the wings are level, turn base as soon as the carb heat check complete.

Cheers,
TheOddOne

BroomstickPilot
27th Feb 2006, 13:35
Tomgee88,

Don't forget about your 'IMSAFE' check before leaving the club building to commence your flight.

Illnesses, do I have any that might make flying inadvisable?
Medication, am I on any that might affect my flying ability?
Stress, am I under stress on a scale that might affect my flying ability?
Alchohol, how much have I had within the last 12 hours?
Fatigue, am I properly rested and fit to fly?
Eating, have I had sufficient food to avoid pangs of hunger in flight that might interfere with my concentration?

Broomstick.

Jools508
27th Feb 2006, 20:04
I use BUMP FGH on the downwind leg

B - Brakes off
U - Undercarriage down and locked
M - Mixture Rich
P - T's and P's in the green

(carb heat then goes on)

F - Fuel greatest tank and pump on
G - gyro, DI checked with compass
H - Hatches and Harness's secure

(carb heat to cold)

and then use the FREDA check every 10 minutes in the cruise.

Sassenach
28th Feb 2006, 10:39
My advice? Use the acronyms that you were originally taught and, more importantly, learn them off by heart! You cannot afford to be pulling out checklists when you're joining the circuit or flying downwind - you have too many other things to look at and be doing. Personally I prefer the RAF way of doing things, ie. don't use any written checklists at all. It's very easy to memorise pre-startup checks and vital actions, and you are far more likely to skip a written check accidentally than you are to to miss a memorised check. As the RAF addage goes: "if it's there, check it; if it's not, don't."

As for the CRAP check, you've got enough to do on finals without introducing further pointless checks (after all, you're not flying an airliner). All this stuff should have been done before your turned finals. An examiner friend of mine was recently conducting an initial IR test, and the candidate insisted on doing a CRAP check - unfortunately, although he recited it word perfect, he hadn't actually received landing permission. Needless to say, he failed his IR.

wxjonah
12th Mar 2006, 13:22
Hi

I always liked this pre-line up check that my instructor came up with....

S-P-L-A-T-T-E-D

S - stobe
P - pitot heat
L - lights
A - altimiter pressure settings
T - transponder
T - T's & P's
E - engine mixture & carb heat
D - DI & compass alingment

It might not be an official one but it alsways helped me remember these points.

OH - & he also said to check for any "numpsies" landing the wrong way!!

wxjonah