PDA

View Full Version : FI rating, without IR

combineharvester
23rd Feb 2006, 07:50
Hello everyone,
I am currently in a little bit of a quandry. Since I began my commercial training i have aways wanted the FI ticket, primarially due to my working at an FTO in an operations role during university. (What i mean to say is, i'm not a dreamer who expected a RHS jet job as a baby fATPL)
I'm due to start my CPL/IR training in 2 weeks, with all dates confirmed etc. A former colleauge (FI) suggested to me last week that I leave the IR until after a seasons instructing, as there will be evident benifits like improved handling and ability to cope with procedural work. I take these comments completely on board, however will instructing without an IR:
a) Make me a 2nd rate instructor?
b) Limit my working days, compared to the FI who is able to climb through a layer to teach S&L on top?
c) Really benefit my subsequent IR training?

Mark 1
23rd Feb 2006, 08:51
Why not do an IMC rating first?
It can be done inside a week if you push at it.
I think you may get some training credit from the IF part of your JAR-CPL (the old UK CPL gave IMC rating privileges anyway).
It would also give you a good start to the full IR.

I doubt that the lack of an IR would have much influence on your employability as a rooky FI. The opportunities to do training 'on top' are not that common.

scherzo
23rd Feb 2006, 12:28
I would advise an IMC rating to back-up your FI. There will be times when you might have to instruct in marginal conditions so having an IMC is a good backup. Once you have removed your "no instrument instruction" restriction you can then teach IMC, and can operate on top if conditions allow.

With this experience your IR should be easier. It would seem pointless to get an IR now only to pay to renew (with a training flight beforehand) in a year's time.

combineharvester
23rd Feb 2006, 14:02
Many thanks for your replies, in fact the IMC rating was not something i had considered, thanks again.

hashdef
23rd Feb 2006, 18:37
I did my IR before my FI and with a few years hindsight think I should have done it the other way round. I found the IR really difficult but now, with the benefit of the FI course and 1000hrs instructing, instrument flying seems so much easier.

Dude~
24th Feb 2006, 11:31
On the other hand I am really glad I did my IR before the FI rating. You have to ask yourself, if you are busy instructing how will you find the time to complete an IR without giving up your job? Ok, you might be able to do it part time, but it might not be easy.

I feel getting it all out of the way was right for me, it's in my back pocket ready to use be it during instructing or when another job crops up.

combineharvester
24th Feb 2006, 12:08
Both very good points, I was looking into doing the IR in november time, after a summer's instructing. I was guessing the work may dry up a little around that time due weather anyway.

Thanks again,

ch

GusHoneybun
24th Feb 2006, 12:30
Personally I did a year as an FI before I sat the IR. A few points on the subject.

1) You present yourself to a CFI without an IR and they guy will think "Great, someone who won't naff off to the airlines with only 1 weeks notice". All CFI's know that instructors will eventually leave, but without an IR you are less likely to leave at a moments notice and hence will be more attractive prospect as a newbie FI(R).

2) Get the IMC for all the reasons stated above. It will give you more options and also increases your ability. Never a bad thing.

3) You will be happier in the job as well. Guys with IR's spend most of their day moaning about the number of PFO's they got and how matey across the apron has just got a 737 rating. Without the distraction of airline flying you can concentrate on instructing. The students appreciate that as well.

4) When you finally come to sit the IR your handling skills are usually so much higher than a 200 hour CPL chap(ette). Plus you have confidence on the radio and you have much more capacity whilst in the cockpit. I noticed this when I was buddied up with a 200 hour guy for my IR. From a handling point of view the guy was spot on, but once we left the sim and started bashing Glasgows ILS, the guy was totally maxed out and took him a little bit (5-6 hours @ £330) longer to gain the capacity.

5) Make sure you can get the time off to do the IR. It takes 6 weeks (including MEP) and you don't really want to be mixing your flying with instructing and training. I was forced to instruct on the weekends and train during the week. It was very hard on me to do it that way and would not recommend it.

6) If you get a job at a school which does IR training then you might get a reduction when you sit you course. Don't ask you don't get.

BlueRobin
9th Jan 2007, 19:33
Had a chat (in person) with windforce today. His plan may be winning me over also... :eek:

I think having read LASORS 07 that 10 of the 15 IMC training hrs are exempted if you hold a JAR CPL(A), i.e. 5hrs dual and a flight test still required. See section E3.4