View Full Version : Descent Plans/management

Dozza2k
22nd Feb 2006, 19:12
as it sounds. Fairly new on the a320 and are just wondering how the experienced pilots plan theirs, or more specifically any personal tips for gates etc? eg at FL100, FL50. I always try and up at flap 1, S speed for LOC intercept but I am still slow at nailing whether I am above or below the profile in the part below FL100 ish.

Its not that all my approaches are ***** its jus that when they're good, eager ATC snatch me in early:ugh:

thanks

D2k

sickBocks
22nd Feb 2006, 21:56
I'm on the 737 so I don't know much about the Airbus voodoo but the traditional (height x 3) + (1 mile/10kts above 210kts) + wind correction seems to work okay. That way if ATC give you a slam-dunk you always have the 'stick of shame' to help you out. Also if you use 'managed' for descent then 280kts as a descent speed is a good bet coz if the profile goes wrong you can use LVL CHG/FLCH/(whatever thrust levers closed + pitch for speed is called in an Airbus) and wind it upto 320kts to get you back on profile.

As you go to the same places more and more you will get to learn how they do things so you know what to expect - that way you can put your own gates into the FMGC. e.g. going into GLA more often than not they want FL260 at MARGO but you can elbow the FL160 at TLA10d ? and you know that on vectors you'll be FL80 at LANAK. I would then use worst case scenario as LANAK direct to a 5 mile final, see the track miles and use the calculation in paragraph 1 to know whether you are on profile. Or - if in doubt use distance to the threshold and aim to be there at 0ft as a datum.

Seems to work okay for me. As a newbie though descent planning & landings will always be the major gotcha.

As you get more experienced your expectations will grow - so don't worry if you start beating yourself up in 6 months because your landings aren't peachy enough or your descent planning goes to KOK once in a while - you've just mentally changed gear.

I aint a trainer - just a mere Right Hand Seat drone - just letting you know what works for me.

sB

Sky_Captain
23rd Feb 2006, 14:52
Hi Dozza2k,

The 3 simple gates I use are:

30nm / 250kt / FL100

20nm / 210kt / FL60

10nm / 180kt / FL30

Always work for me especially when I get an eager controller who wants me to turn early. Hope they help.

S.C. :ok:

javelin
21st Mar 2006, 22:45
On the Airbus, keep the box clean and keep the information relevant to what you think you will do. If it's past midnight, clear the speed and any clutter around the TMA. Use a PBD to create a 90 degree point about 3 miles from the CF to avoid the box undercutting the final intercept.

If it is a Pegasus box, once you are on vectors do a direct to the CF, radial in XXX. If not, clear out the rubbish to the CF.

If you put into the box, what you plan, the doughnut will be accurate - use managed whenever you can and avoid the FCU boogie..... V/S, Open Descent, fiddle, fiddle etc etc etc ! Stay around the doughnut and all will be well.

Above all, experiment, learn and enjoy - the Minibus is a wonderful aeroplane :ok: