PDA

View Full Version : multi rating worth it?

BongleBear
22nd Feb 2006, 14:23
hi all, just wondering if it's worth getting a multi FI rating? im just completing my FI's course, and am considering doing the multi once my restrictions lifted. are there many jobs instructing on multi's out there? is the cost justifiable? thanks, b bear

FlyingForFun
22nd Feb 2006, 14:33
My research suggests that there are very few multi FI jobs out there.

However, if you want to become a career instructor and make half-decent money out of instructing, then the multi FI is a must - start building multi hours (if you don't have 30 multi P1 hours already), and once you're getting close to the target and the multi FI ticket is in sight, consider sending your CV to any CPL/IR schools you might be interested in working for - then be patient.

FFF
-------------

eyeinthesky
22nd Feb 2006, 17:23
Others might also suggest that, if you're an airline/air taxi hopeful rather than a career instructor, the Multi-FI is a very good way of building multi-engine hours relatively cheaply. Compare the cost of the course with the cost of paying for, say, 100 hours multi-engine private hire, and it's a no-brainer. Most air-taxi companies ask for 250 hrs multi as a pre-requisite these days.

It goes without saying, however, that since the cost to the punter is that much more than in a single, it is more important than ever that you commit to the standard of instructing you give and don't just treat it as a low-cost way further up the ladder.:hmm:

18greens
22nd Feb 2006, 22:02
The other side of the coin is that few people ever invest in further instructor qualifications since they all pile off to the airlines. So there aren't too many IMC, Multi or Aerobatics instructors.

I often wonder if the lack of IMC, multi, Aeros pilots is driven by the lack of availaibilty of suitably qualified instructors.