PDA

View Full Version : Sunny Wiltshire

abohana
20th Feb 2006, 19:24
Hi Guys

Does anyone know of any Airstrips (with Hangering) in the wiltshire area I am considering a Fixed Wing aircraft for my daily commute to Airbus Filton but I am struggling to find an Airfield Near Me (westbury, wiltshire) Keevil would me excellent but everytime I go there to enquire it is just locked up.

Thanks All

Anthony

Chilli Monster
20th Feb 2006, 19:36
Unless you have anything to do with the Military Gliding Club there or the Military itself it's very dubious that you'd get hangared at Keevil. The fact that it's locked unless the above are using it would also be a problem for day to day commuting.

In addition - once you get to Filton you'd have to park over the north side, you'd need transport to get you to the south side (I can see that getting a bit tedious everyday as you'd have to wait while the schedules were turned round). As an idea it's nice - as a daily practicality (is your aircraft IFR capable when the fog rolls up the Bristol Channel?) it's dubious.

Far easier to drive straight up the A350 to the M4 and then shoot down the Motorway. You get used to it after a while :uhoh:

abohana
20th Feb 2006, 19:40
I have been working For Airbus for 9 Years now and NO I have not got use to it, it has got worse. Transport is not I problem as I work on site and will of course be landing there. Any ideas on a suitable Airfield near me or do you think I need to look at a R22.

Thanks

Anthony

Chilli Monster
20th Feb 2006, 19:59
Transport is not I problem as I work on site and will of course be landing there.

Where you work, and where you park the aircraft are two different things ;)

I'd look at an R22 (But also factor in BAE have just put up the landing fees).

abohana
20th Feb 2006, 20:05
That one is sorted as well......I can park my car at the south end and as a member of Staff and Flying club member my friendly Airbus collegues have agreed to waive the landing fees, as you can tell I have everthing going for me except somewhere near my house to Land\Take off I have even tried an Advert in Mole Valley farmers to buy or Rent some acreage.

Any Ideas yours in desperation

Anthony:{

Mariner9
21st Feb 2006, 08:34
I presume you have tried the airfields marked on the half mill in your vicinity, such as Wing Farm & Winsley. Garston Farm's not too far away either, a great strip (but unfortunately no hangarage available at present).

Not sure flying will be any quicker than driving anyway. By the time you've checked the Notams, got the a/c out of the hangar, pre-flighted her etc you could prolly have driven to work. Would be arriving in style however :D

DaveW
21st Feb 2006, 11:52
There's no hangarage currently available at Wing Farm either, although metal and plastic aircraft are picketed in the open (secured and with covers on, obviously).

I'd suggest that you contact the owner (http://www.atsx91.dsl.pipex.com/wing_farm.htm) if you are willing to consider that option.

abohana
22nd Feb 2006, 19:12
Wing Farm will take an Aircraft for 50 + vat per month

No hangarage but still it makes my project worthwhile.

Ideally I am after a 4 seater any ideas on what offers best value for money

:)

Chilli Monster
22nd Feb 2006, 19:56
Best value for money:

What distances are you likely to want to fly? (when not commuting)
What speed do you want to fly at?
How much money have you got to spend on it?
How much fuel do you want to burn per hour?

The question itself is on a par with "How long is a piece of string?"

Check your PM's

Martin Barnes
24th Feb 2006, 01:26
I used to have the same problem. I lived in a village near kevill and could not get permission to use it. Found a strip at Urchfont no hanger though nevertheless operated for a year or so commuting to BRS in a 182rg. 15min drive to strip 5 min to preflight 12 mins to BRS.

in the end did the R22 thing which was much better and quicker door to door

finally solved the problem by moving my office to BRS.

No brainer really !!