PDA

View Full Version : Informing ATC/CAA??

colmac747
20th Feb 2006, 17:09
Not sure where to put this:confused:

Anyway, i'm seriously thinking about flying a kite antenna from a hill top in the summer time (when winds are generally lighter, hopefully).

Do i need to inform ATC/CAA or whoever:confused: about this, as the kite itself will be fed with approx 300ft of line whilst on the hill top - so all in quite a height will be achieved.

Any help thoroughly appreciated..

effortless
20th Feb 2006, 17:26
Legal max for kite lines is, I think 60m.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Feb 2006, 17:28
ANO says:

(iv) a kite shall not be flown at a height of more than 30 metres above ground level within the aerodrome traffic zone of a notified aerodrome during the notified operating hours of that aerodrome;

(v) a kite shall not be flown at a height of more than 60 metres above ground level;

without the permission in writing of the CAA and in accordance with any conditions subject to which that permission may have been granted.

colmac747
20th Feb 2006, 17:33
Ok, thanks both - will have to shorten the length a fair bit then!

Still gathering relevant info about it all, but with heights mentioned above 300ft (although this was from an American site) i presumed ATC would have to be informed first and foremost...

Thanks

Spitoon
20th Feb 2006, 18:49
ANO just says you can't without permission - you could try asking

ProfChrisReed
20th Feb 2006, 20:48
I would think permission is quite commonly given, at least for organised events, as the NOTAMs regularly warn us of kite flying above 300 ft.

Turn It Off
20th Feb 2006, 23:10
I expect if you apply to the CAA they will tell you which further notifications need to be made / agencies informed - ATC etc. :uhoh: :confused: