PDA

View Full Version : Concorde Crew lawsuit filed in US.

Cyclic Hotline
25th Jul 2001, 23:59
O'Reilly, Collins & Danko Files Lawsuit in Houston Against Continental And Goodyear on Behalf of Families of Concorde's Crew

HOUSTON, July 25 /PRNewswire/ -- Terry O'Reilly and Michael S. Danko, two of the name partners of O'Reilly, Collins & Danko of San Mateo, California, one of the nation's best-known aviation plaintiffs' firms, announced today the filing of a lawsuit in Houston in Harris County Court against Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL - news) and Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. (NYSE: GT - news) on behalf of the families of five members of the crew of the Concorde plane that crashed in Paris on July 25, 2000. The five include Jean Marcot, the co-pilot; Huguette Le Gouadec, head flight attendant; and flight attendants Patrick Chevalier, Florence Eyquem-Fournel and Herve Garcia. All of the crew members are French citizens. Damages were unspecified in the filing.

Most of the families of passengers on the Concorde flight have already settled their claims. Families of the crew members, however, were not offered settlements.

French investigators concluded that a 17-inch metal wear strip that fell onto the runway at Charles De Gaulle Airport in Paris caused a tire on the Concorde to burst during takeoff. Pieces of the tire were then thrown against the underside of a wing fuel tank. The fuel tank began leaking and the plane burst into flame and crashed soon after takeoff. All 109 passengers and crew on the plane were killed, in addition to four people on the ground.

A Continental DC-10, found to be missing a metal wear strip of the same shape and size as the one found on the runway, took off just five minutes before the Concorde. The suit alleges that the metal strip fell off the Continental DC-10 because Continental's personnel had not properly installed it when they serviced the aircraft 16 days before the crash.

O'Reilly, Collins & Danko has a 27-year history of representing the families of victims of airplane disasters, including the families of crew members.

747FOCAL
26th Jul 2001, 00:43
So how do they figure that Goodyear is liable for a tire that comes apart after getting sliced by FOD that wasn't supposed to be there and was not part of the definition of design. Thats like getting sued for getting hit by a car on your bike and the bike goes through the window and kills the driver.

Captain Windsock
26th Jul 2001, 01:49
Crikey. My other car is a Fireblade so I had better be really careful next time a car pulls out in front of me. :mad:

Pointer
26th Jul 2001, 03:30
Sorry to say but well known; in the US law system...everything is game!?

:(

Think about it, if it would have happend on US soil....??

Pandora
26th Jul 2001, 12:08
Captain Windsock,

I was knocked off my motorbike in Liverpool by a taxi and was sued by the driver for loss of earnings, damage to taxi and psychological trauma. Sadly he did manage to win some compensation from me, but not as much as I won from him for my broken foot.

My compensation eventually went towards my PPL :D

Yak Hunt
26th Jul 2001, 12:31
Liverpool - The Uk's largest open prison!! :D

4PON4PIN
26th Jul 2001, 13:18
Steady on YH! You might find yourself being sued by hundreds of scousers for defamation of character!! What's more, your name is very well known to them as I've heard it bandied around on many an occasion.

GonvilleBromhead
26th Jul 2001, 14:00
4PON4PIN,

Couldn't help but laugh. Nice reply. :) :)

Squiddley
26th Jul 2001, 16:16
Can anyone spell "ambulance chaser" ? Maybe, just maybe CO have a case to answer, but Goodyear is stretching credulity a bit far.

Bah!

OTOH - Anyone in for retaining this firm for a class action against Yak for those defaming remarks? I've never been with 100 miles of Liverpool but fancy my chances if they win this case.

RIP in memory 1 year and one day since.

SKYDRIFTER
27th Jul 2001, 09:46
If one looks to the "Alaska 261," "Letter to Jane Garvey" and the CS-985 incident at -
www.webpak.net/~skydream (http://www.webpak.net/~skydream)

- it is apparent what connected politics can do to counter the cost of maintenance - safety be damned.

The giveaway is that the suit was filed in Texas. Continental will not lose the lawsuit.

1.3VStall
27th Jul 2001, 11:18
YH,

What do you call a scouser in a suit?

The defendant

:D

Beanbag
27th Jul 2001, 14:35
I'm a bit shocked that no-one has commented on the fact that apparently the relatives of the crew received no compensation from the airline. Surely that's the scandal here. The US legal system has many faults, but at least the crew's families found someone to take up their case there (presumably on a no win, no fee basis).

Sure, it's a bit of a stretch to sue Continental, never mind Goodyear, but presumably the crew were French and so they couldn't sue Air France in a US court. It seems to me that if anyone is the villain in this story it's Air France.

Kerosene Kraut
27th Jul 2001, 17:51
Bit surprised that crew's relatives are said not to have received compensation. Heard they were the first to get some.
Last week all pax relatives agreed to some arrangement (without a court having decided on the case) with record compensation compared to usual german standards. (rumour: DM 700.000 to DM 900.000/Person) Heard it has been transfered completely within days.
Only victims left I know of are the hotel workers who didn't receive something by now.

GlueBall
27th Jul 2001, 19:41
The U.S. court will not dismiss this frivolous law suit.

Where else in the World could one get drunk in a pub, then crash his car into a wall and then sue the bartender and pub for negligence, property damage, medical bills and mental anguish?

Welcome to America whose courts exercise Global jurisdiction!

PaperTiger
27th Jul 2001, 20:19
Novice scumsucking ambulance chasers apparently. Why not sue Boeing(McDD), GE, ADP and whoever made the engine pod as well ?

Vsf
28th Jul 2001, 05:10
PaperTiger--

Quiet! Don't give the lawyers any more bright ideas...they'll do it!

I gave up my instructing certificate (they expire every two years in the US unless you do something to renew) for one reason: liability. The US legal system is out of control.