PDA

View Full Version : Studying Air law and stuff

modelman
19th Feb 2006, 21:53
Just started studying Air Law and operational procedures using Jeremy Pratt's PPL2 book
Blimey,how do you learn all that stuff-bought the 'The PPL Confuser'-now I'm really confused.
I reckon all you qualified PPL's must be up there with Einstein-please tell me you all felt like I do at this stage.:confused:

Modelman

coodem
20th Feb 2006, 08:10
I felt the same way as you. But have to say the airlaw is a lot easier than it looks. At the end of the day, a lot of your flying is going to rely on you knowing a lot of that syllabus.

Wait until you do Met. That was a lot to take in. And I can't see a way of the confuser helping you. As you really need to understand this subject to be able to do the simulation forecasts

On a + note, the human factors is really easy. and interesting. Not sure about the other 4, as doing those over the next 3 weeks

Whirlybird
20th Feb 2006, 08:26
Air Law takes time, but is not difficult. You don't have to be Einstein, because it's basically just rote learning.

My way of studying for this, and for almost any other exam, is as follows. Read through the book, trying to understand it and take it in, but without trying to learn or rememer anything. That way, you have a bit of an overview of the whole subject. Next, go through it slowly, chapter by chapter, doing the exercises in the back and going over anything you don't understand. This may take you quite a long time. Then go through the whole thing a third time, concentrating on weak points and making sure you remember everything. Then sit the exam before you forget it all!

There are other ways of doing things; this is only one way. And it will become easier as you fly more and you see the relevance of it. And IMHO, Air Law is one of the hardest exams, because I have a poor memory and I'd rather do stuff I can work out like nav and met than have to memorise so much.

Good luck. You'll be OK. :ok:

BroomstickPilot
20th Feb 2006, 09:05
Modelman,

I agree wholeheartedly with Whirly, but would add something extra.

When you go through the Air Law text book for the second time, make GOOD, and CLEAR precis notes of each point you encounter including the chapter heading concerned. Then when you come to cram for the examination, you just learn your notes. If something in your notes is unclear, you know immediately which chapter of your text book to refer to. Furthermore, writing down what you read in different words will help you to memorise the material.

Where lists of items have to be learned, my method was to write them on card-index cards and then use the cards to play Aviation Law 'Patience'. This works too.

Essentially, if you handle the material to be learned constantly, you will pick it up whether you want to or not. A closed book, however, is of no use to anyone.

Good luck!

Broomstick.

charliegolf
20th Feb 2006, 09:18
I found that the grids and charts (esp controlled airspace) unlocked a huge chunk of nitty gritty stuff once you bashed them into your nut!

Once they're done, you have more of a feel for what's what.

CG

Lister Noble
20th Feb 2006, 09:20
I found Airquiz.com a great help,it costs £3 a subject to register.
You can do as many exams online as you want,receive results immediatley by e-mail,then see where you need to brush up.
I also agree that Air Law is very important,all the safety rules are in there!
Lister:)

wbryce
20th Feb 2006, 09:27
The material isn't hard for the PPL syllabus! you dont need to be an einstein...Theres just a little amount of volume you must remember and it takes time, patience and commitment to do so.

Read the book, do the PPL confuser and re-read the sections you failed on...I used airquiz for some of my PPL exams and found it to be a valuable asset.

Timevans
20th Feb 2006, 17:24
Just about start my ppl and was wondering the same thing. Guess just hard swatting and reading it and reading till it sinks in. Have seen this on ebay (hope the link works) and was wondering if people thought this was a good way to go. I myself always learn easier with video and sound etc, would appreciate peoples views on this. Thanks for any help, Tim.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TEACH-ME-TO-FLY-F-W-EDITION_W0QQitemZ5668232577QQcategoryZ4783QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt em