PDA

View Full Version : Support from the Press for Troops in Iraq

Grimweasel
19th Feb 2006, 19:50
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/02/19/do1901.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2006/02/19/ixopinion.html

Finally some support for the toil we suffer in Iraq. Farndale is spot on with his comments. The News of the World should be held accountable for any future deaths resulting from their stupid scoop story on a situation they have no understanding of. Just stick to news of the screws and other filth. In the mean time I suggest we all boycott this vile paper.

dantura
19th Feb 2006, 20:11
Totally agree, but who on earth buys that drivell (NotW) anyway?
It's really quite disgusting that a paper can sell some lives for 30 pieces of silver.:mad:

Pureteenlard
19th Feb 2006, 20:26
Totally agree, but who on earth buys that drivell (NotW) anyway?
It's really quite disgusting that a paper can sell some lives for 30 pieces of silver.:mad:

Hmmm. I wonder how you'd feel if the News of the World ran a story showing some iraqi policemen giving a shoeing to a couple of british civilian contractors?

I'm no great fan of the tabloid press but in this world of almost instant, global comunication it has to be understood that peacekeeping forces, no matter which country they come from, have to not only behave impeccably but also be seen to behave impeccably.

Khaine27
19th Feb 2006, 20:40
I'm no great fan of the tabloid press but in this world of almost instant, global comunication it has to be understood that peacekeeping forces, no matter which country they come from, have to not only behave impeccably but also be seen to behave impeccably.

granted, but in the end they are just human beings like the rest of us. If you were put in a situation like that, with the pressures they were put under would you have responded impeccably?

I know its their job but still every person has a breaking point.

WE Branch Fanatic
19th Feb 2006, 20:55
See here (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=32495/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html)

The media don't just report the news, they like to make it.....

Pureteenlard
19th Feb 2006, 21:04
granted, but in the end they are just human beings like the rest of us. If you were put in a situation like that, with the pressures they were put under would you have responded impeccably?

I know its their job but still every person has a breaking point.

I like to think that I'd not be stupid enough to VIDEO THE WHOLE BL**DY AFFAIR!!

air pig
19th Feb 2006, 21:05
Will the press be out in the hinterland of Helmand Province in the near future or just wait for the films to come back.

The NoW produced a set of images that looked and where poor in the context of the soldiers actions, a further look at the images have produced a film showing what led up to the troops actions. These kids where lucky to get just a good kicking, remember the Countryside Alliance march in London where the Met Police lost self control and lashed out at anyone. One set of rules for one and not another. There again Bliar needs his protection. It has been stated today in at least one newspaper many countries would meerly have shot, or imprisioned and abused these people. Under Sadam protests such as these would have ruthlessly suppressed, the perpertrators and possibly their families arrested and probably executed.

The jackels of the press are about as much use as a rope to a hanged man at times, especially in being able to take things either out of context or trying to produce a story where non exists. These actions can inflame a situation out of proportion to the original actions, even TWO years later.

There has been painfully little about the work that is ongoing with the civil population, trying to stop groups destabilising an already precarious position.

The spin doctors will influence a story for their political masters remember Dr Kelly, Blunkett, Mandleson, Byrers, Archer, Hamilton and many many more. Newspapers should provide facts and allow the individual to make up their own mind.

One notices that little is said about those returning ill or injured from operations, to a life of both physical and mental pain, over 4000 up to now and I suspect many more in the future. the press proports to support the servicemen and women on operations, where is the support for those who have to face an uncertain future.

I say to the journo's who frequent this site go to the military medical units and speak to the troops, I suspect you will get a far different story to the one you expect, but can you recognise the truth anymore. The military hiararchy will try to stop you speaking to the troops except in controlled circumstances, why not earn your money don't be spoonfed PR b******t, go and look for the story. To do less is to my view hypocritical.

I have watched many front line journo's on news reports, with the troops, at least they take the risk along side the operational soldiers sailors and airmen, in this you can include Kate Addie, Bill Neely and Andera Catherwood, unlike I suspect a high percentage of the red top scum suckers.

My apologies for a long rant but I hate the majority of Journo's with a passion. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Out Of Trim
19th Feb 2006, 21:23
Will the press be out in the hinterland of Helmand Province in the near future or just wait for the films to come back.

Oh I do hope so! Please invite some from the NOTW and take them to a small riot and sort of just happen to let them get a bit too close.. as long as they just get a bit of a kicking.. I wouldn't wish them any serious harm.

- and then you can let the rioters have a go!

air pig
19th Feb 2006, 23:07
As we all know serious harm in civi context is a lot different to serious harm in a military one !!!!! and the are degrees of seriousness :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E

GeeRam
20th Feb 2006, 08:26
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/02/19/do1901.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2006/02/19/ixopinion.html
Finally some support for the toil we suffer in Iraq. Farndale is spot on with his comments.

Still a shame that even while writing a pro-forces piece he still couldn't get his facts right.

He was referring to the jingoistic response of the British press to the Falklands war.
And he had a point. It still makes me shiver to think The Sun could report the deaths of 1,000 Argentinian sailors with a single word: "Gotcha!" But what a contrast with today.

A 30sec 'google' would have given him the truth......but hey, since when has truth and the press gone hand in hand........:mad:

Roland Pulfrew
20th Feb 2006, 09:48
Good to hear that the Iraqi Police are now looking at prosecuting 2 of those "rioters" (the ones that got the kicking from the soldiers) - for attempted murder!!:ok:

Oh how I bet that they wish that they had kept their mouths shut rather than coming forward and proclaiming that they were going to sue the MOD!!!:}

RayDarr
20th Feb 2006, 11:49
Interesting concept . NofW breaks story, sell loads of papers everybody hates the Army. NofW then updates story, sells loads of papers and everybody is sympathetic to army. Media supports both sides, sells loads of papers. News breaks that local Iraqi's to be prosecuted, sells loads of papers. Anyone notice the single common item in all this??
Guys on the ground when about to go on patrol should check that none of their mates has a camera with them. Any video/photo can and will be used against you to make the media swine rich. The bloke who took the photos and his mates go to jail.
Any media person who approaches you should be treated as if someone has stepped in dog s**t. Ignore the sods, they only want to sell papers, and will twist anything you say to do so. Even if you ignore them they will make it up.
Best place for a news team is about 200 mtrs in front of a patrol, all by themselves, well out front in military uniform but unarmed. They can collect the **** and allow the guys behind to ID the positions of those doing the shooting.
As you may have worked out, I don't like the press much either.

WhiteOvies
20th Feb 2006, 12:50
When I was going through training we were told not to take cameras on nights out in case the press/mil police/court got hold of them. Let alone on ops. Recording equipment used in a similar way to the civi police to identify trouble makers for later is a good idea, but why film the 'afters'? The 'whistleblower' who took the cash has as much responsibility for the lives of his oppos as the NotW. The press should always be dealt with carefully but can be, as already mentioned, an ally to the Armed Forces. Who knows what atrocities other nations armies commit (Congo?) but do not record and sell? In these days of camera/video phones I can only see incidents like these becoming common place whenever a 'whistleblower' needs some ready cash from an eager journo.
Accuracy is rarely good in the press, as anyone involved with even local papers can testify to (names etc), but little is done to correct them by people who know. This is continued even on threads on this site to do with the 'destroyed' harrier. Not actually the case as anyone at Cott will tell you.
A bit of balance from the press would go a long way to helping not only the lads on the front line but also the families left behind, who the troops rely on for so much. Maybe one day?:ugh: