PDA

View Full Version : Changes to new 737 NC & QRH

CaptainSandL
19th Feb 2006, 09:50
As predicted Boeing are about to tweak the new 737 normal checklist and QRH

In the PREFLIGHT checklist after “Window heat” will be an extra check of:
“Pressurization mode selector. . . . . . . . . . . . . AUTO”

And in the QRH, the CONFIGURATION WARNING checklist will be renamed “WARNING HORN - CABIN ALTITUDE OR CONFIGURATION” and will be a recall checklist to either: sort the config out if on the ground or get onto oxygen if in-flight.

These changes show us that the FAA’s wish to reduce (eliminate?) recall checklists is neither possible or desirable. Also, I would bet that there will be more changes within the year, I can certainly think of a few things in the new checklist that need changing!

BTW am I the only one that thinks it would be better to have a different aural warning sound for the T/O config, cabin alt, gear warning etc, rather than a different sequence of the same horn?

At least this is a step in the right direction.

S&L

BOAC
19th Feb 2006, 10:39
I thought that somewhere in one of the the Helios threads there was news of a mod to change just that? Too difficult to hunt for it:{

B737MRG
19th Feb 2006, 11:19
Hi Chris,

you are not the only one who doesn't understand this "cheap" design on an aircraft that costs x USD ! This is indeed a very weak (confusing) item in the B737 (that could have saved many lives).

The same goes for the Configuration Warning Horn in approach on Classic (not the sound but the logic). I sounds all the time and it has become a habit to disregard it and just kill the horn. I often fly Flaps 10 in approach - the next step is Gear Down Flaps 15 ; the Horn will sound again because the Flaps move very fast to 15 while the Gear is still in transit, so you can not silence the horn. Many F/O keep on knocking the Horn Cutout Switch as if the switch falters... And they feel happy when the Horn finally stops, without having understood what really caused the cutout switch to "falter"... Believe me or not, I have had 1 F/O who suggested me to write this in the ATL !

One day the Horn will sound for real but some pilots may think "the damned cutout switch doesn't work"...

Fortunately they changed this on NG. When the Horn sounds, it is for real !

Pat

BOAC
19th Feb 2006, 11:51
the Horn will sound again because the Flaps move very fast to 15 while the Gear is still in transit,- which is why I thought, when moving from Flap 10, we ??ALL?? said "gear down" pause "Flap 15":). Then you never get that sound.:ok:

B737MRG
19th Feb 2006, 13:07
thanks, but that was not the point of my post

S&L, about those changes to NNC, it that a rumour or did you get a message ?

CaptainSandL
19th Feb 2006, 13:36
MRG

You should know better than to ask questions like that. If I had heard this from official sources, it would probably come in the form of a communication which might contain phrases such as “Boeing proprietary material” and “use or dissemination of this message is strictly prohibited”, so I couldn’t possibly post it here.

Let us just say it was a rumour. Care to bet if I am right?

S&L

Centaurus
20th Feb 2006, 01:01
After careful consideration of all the facts I hereby pronounce the new Boeing 737 normal checklist philosophy as bulls..t. The old one first introduced in 1970 (?) has stood the test of time. I think the reasons put forward by Boeing for the change are fundamentally flawed. Don't ask me why - I just know these things.
:*

Flight Detent
20th Feb 2006, 01:26
Centaurus - Hear...Hear to that!

I'd prefer to return to the old ones in a flash!

FD :uhoh: