PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Oxygen Endurance

FlareArmed2
18th Feb 2006, 03:13
I am part of a small operation that flies biz jets worldwide. We have chemical passenger oxygen units with an endurance of 12 mins. Often we fly across the Rockies and I have been uncomfortable for a while that we actually meet the requirements for passenger oxygen in these circumstances.

I would like to hear from others who operate across the Rockies, preferably in airline type aircraft, and to know what passenger oxygen endurance they have on their aircraft types. Also, if there are any restrictions on what routes that can be flown, and/or any specific escape manouevers required.

I am quite knowledgeable about the various regulatory requirements. In the past I have operated over inland China with quite specific high terrain problems. At that time my aircraft had much greater endurance for passenger oxygen, that my current job lacks. So I have the experience and the background.

Consider this an informal approach to see if we have a problem at my current outfit. Thank you.

ironbutt57
18th Feb 2006, 04:54
think the 12-14 mins is about it for most types of oxygen generators, we have designed "escape routes" for high terrain ops, that provide us terrain clearance in event of the inability to descend direct to 10,000ft in event of decompression, providing us with 14000or below within the 30mins and 10,000 thereafter if there are longer lasting oxy gen's they would sure be welcome!!!

FlareArmed2
18th Feb 2006, 05:07
Actually oxy generators can be purchased with longer burning times - 22 mins is one type that I am aware of. Also, bottled oxygen is an option on our aircraft with an endurance of up to two hours. It is convincing the owners of the necessity to have sufficient passenger oxygen that is my first hurdle, which is the crux of this thread.

So, ironbutt57, can you confirm that you fly over the Rockies in an aircraft with 12 min passenger oxygen endurance, using escape routes? Or was this a general comment?

FlareArmed2
20th Feb 2006, 19:03
Hmmm, is there nobody on here who flies across the Rockies?

None
20th Feb 2006, 21:35
I don't regularly fly out that way anymore. I do not recall if there are areas that would prevent you from getting to a safe (physiological) altitude inside the 12 minutes.
We have some Jepp enroute charts with our company name at the top of the page. This tells us that these specific charts have company-purchased info on the charts. This includes brown-bordered areas (they look similar to MOA's and Restricted areas). These areas have specific names, like "CUL 1" and "CUL 2." If you will be flying above that area, simply reference the "Sector Driftdown Alternates" table on one of the side panels on the chart. In the table there is one or more alternate driftdown airports listed.
In some locations there are "Cross-hatched sectors." These are isolated areas of critical terrain which you should not enter if doing a driftdown.
The company pays extra for this service. We do not carry WAC or Sectionals. You probably have Jeppesen's "Q-service." We do not.