PDA

View Full Version : How much notice for 15000 feet over London?

Creaser
17th Feb 2006, 23:25
Is there much chance of a photo shoot of London at 10 to 15000 feet
Outside Class A airspace, say over Biggin that can be arranged "on the day"

Idea is to respond on the day to the very occasional brilliantly clear weather.

Aircraft would be commercially operated twin helicopter or twin engine fixed wing.

Creaser

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Feb 2006, 07:04
I can just hear my ex-colleagues on TMA(S) screaming....!! Unless things have dramatically changed there is no non-Class A airspace anywhere around London at 10-15000 feet.

Over to the experts......

The Sad ATCO
18th Feb 2006, 07:36
As a former LTMA controller now in semi-retirement further north, I laughed my little socks off when I saw Creaser's question!!

Personally, I think its a great idea......

Creaser, if you are serious about this, you may want to speak to someone with a current professional aviation background who can explain a little more about the airspace involved and the notification requirements for non-standard flights within CAS.

You ask "Is there much chance?". Without proper arrangements in place, I think that the answer will be November Foxtrot Charlie (= no chance).

AlanM
18th Feb 2006, 07:59
First things:

Obviously you will have to be IFR

You will need a non-standard Flight Authorisation from Terminal Control operations. (Your Operations department should be able to do that for you). They will tell you all the hoops that you have to jump through.

You can apply to the AUS for a flight priority status if you feel you need one. (Cat Z probably)

You then phone on the day for final authorisation.

You then pitch up and can still be refused if the traffic is busy.

It depends on the type of task/aircraft type/time on task etc etc.

With respect, the fact that you are planning to be "London at 10 to 15000 feet Outside Class A airspace, say over Biggin that can be arranged "on the day" " shows a lack of understanding. NSF's with much higher priority create a huge workload and needs top class pilots on the ball in the most complex TMA in the world.

Still fancy applying!?!?!? :)

Northerner
18th Feb 2006, 08:06
I'm just wondering if he meant 10 to 1500 feet or 10,000 to 15,000 feet? If its the former that would explain not cat A, if it's the latter then I'll post again when I've finished shrieking with hysterical laughter.
:E

Cheers,
N

(However, in fairness, Alan M has at least pointed to how you should go about it, whatever you want)

"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to..."

Dizzee Rascal
18th Feb 2006, 09:22
First things:

You can apply to the AUS for a flight priority status if you feel you need one. (Cat Z probably)

A priority as high as that!!!?!?!:ok:

sss
18th Feb 2006, 10:26
can you not use commercial satellite photography that is available for imagery over london?

chevvron
18th Feb 2006, 12:46
Isn't 15000 about the level for GW/SS arrivals from SAM direction?

Talkdownman
18th Feb 2006, 14:49
Creaser, take no notice of 'em poking fun. You can try anything once. Just switch off your primary and look out for Nimrod.........:suspect:

Not Long Now
18th Feb 2006, 17:08
chevvron....
No.

Creaser
18th Feb 2006, 18:21
I wish I could elicite such mirth on PPRuNe intentionally :O

We have a year to get the shots for Discovery Channel Doc and by the look of it it will not be at short notice with ideal weather!

AlanM, thanks for the detailed response!

Creaser

Max Angle
18th Feb 2006, 20:46
In a previous job I did plenty of survey flying in the London TMA so it's certainly possible. We applied well in advance to the CAA for a special authority and would phone on the day, normally no problems but got refused sometimes once we turned up. Even that was not normally a problem, there was other work we could go and do and mostly we got what we wanted at some point during the day.

PS. When I say "we" applied, I mean the company, all these years later I have not a clue who they submitted the paperwork to, we were just given copies and a number to call on the day.

Talkdownman
19th Feb 2006, 08:23
Creaser,
Further to AlanM's useful post: The UK AIP ref is ENR 1-1-4-1 where you will find the Non-Standard Flight application procedure.
Good Luck.You will need it.

MAN777
19th Feb 2006, 09:57
How current does the imagery need to be ? I am sure that the resolution you will get at 15000 ft would be comparable with commercially available shots. Also for academic reasons i am sure there must be other agencies that can supply that sort of imagery. London must have been photographed to death in recent years.

MAN777
19th Feb 2006, 10:15
I have in mind "Get mapping" and the suppliers of Ordanance survey imagery. Also the Russian satellite imagery is pretty good.

ATCOMANIA
19th Feb 2006, 14:09
What about using google earth and doing a 'print screen'?:ouch:
It is a great bit of kit!

Creaser
20th Feb 2006, 19:35
How current does the imagery need to be ? I am sure that the resolution you will get at 15000 ft would be comparable with commercially available shots.

We need motion pictures. Some very good images, including c/ups of other air traffic (taken from above) over the capital yet to be taken!
We are using latest stabilised kit that has long lenses.
Can even do a orbit at sunset with camera in timelapse mode.

Creaser