PDA

View Full Version : AOPA wings

tmmorris
17th Feb 2006, 17:09
Anyone else doing this scheme? I found I was qualified for the Silver ones (apart from the longish flight) so did that last year; need 250hrs to start for the gold ones so a little way to go yet. Has it caught on? I've never seen anyone wearing the badges...

Tim

Andy_R
19th Feb 2006, 22:43
I think we may be in the minority, but having read through it I will be pursuing it further.

Extending ones capabilities and experience is a good way to keep up to speed with flying and AOPA deserve all the support they can get too.

nigelisom
20th Feb 2006, 11:26
I looked at this scheme and found that I also am in the same position as Tim except that I have not joined AOPA, so I looked through their site with a view to joining. Is it just me or is site completely inpenetrable about the actual cost of membership.
As far as I can make out the membership year runs to Mar 31st but the table of fees makes no sense as far as I can see, with lots of figures for joining in different months which apear to bear no relationship to the membership year end and no full year figures.

So in plain English how much does it cost per full year for a ppl to belong?

Am I right about the membership year end, if not what is it?

If any one can help I would be much obliged.

Nigel

RichyRich
20th Feb 2006, 12:35
I have the bronze wings pin, but it is unlikely that I'll ever progress beyond that. If I recall, to move up to silver you need to do 2 things, plus some cross country thingy, plus upgrade the aircraft. Examples: my 2 things are: attended CAA safety evening, and have IMC; I haven't done the cross country yet, but don't see that as a problem: however, I'm quite happy renting the spammers which I fly in: fixed pitch prop, fixed tricycle gear. I'd like to try out tailwheeling, but haven't found anything local (not that I've really looked either).

What I'm harping on about is that to move up a notch on the wings scale, I need to undertake something which I have no inclination to undertake, and so for me, the wings system has stalled.

Rich

egbt
20th Feb 2006, 14:35
If you subscribe to Flyer mag you can get £15 off the aopa sub :)

tmmorris
20th Feb 2006, 16:52
My bank account says I paid £65 to AOPA this year, if that helps!

Tim

tmmorris
30th Mar 2006, 18:43
The latest 'General Aviation' mag says they have issued

8 Platinum
5 Gold
8 Silver
'nearly 40' total, i.e. around 18-19 Bronze

so no wonder we are in a minority!

Tim