PDA

View Full Version : Flying an Airbus with L+R Elev Fault

Keith Discovering
17th Feb 2006, 11:31
Sorry to bother you guys, but I wondered if you would kindly pen your thoughts for flying the a/c with an L+R elevator fault, specifically:
a. On t/o
b. landing
c. Go around :uhoh:
Who does the power, controls lateral movement of a/c etc.
It's a drill i hate doing and it's coming up in my sim soon. The last time I did it my Instructor wasn't too helpful (you get them everywhere i guess).
Thanks for your time
Keith

FlapsOne
17th Feb 2006, 14:51
This is a major emergency. Just look at the description in the FCOM!

Pitch - Mechanical backup (ouch!)
Roll - Direct Law (no real probs there)

You can only use Manual Pitch Trim to give you the the up and down bits. This is normally considered a temp situation whilst the pnf frantically (calmly and in an orderly fashion!) attempts to re-instate any affected computers.

If that is not possible you are looking at a loooooong straight in approach to atempt to minimse the pitch input requirements (easier said than done). Your stuck with Cat 1 only (personally I would use CAVOK as a yardstick!), a Flap 3 landing (to make life a little easier) and 10 kts on your Vapp (big deal) plus a third or so more runway required.

The trim is powerful and a small movement makes a significant pitch input so try and plan ahead. PF just flies and square root of nothing else. PNF does everything else.

Take off !!!!! if your on the ground - stay on the ground!
Landing - best you can from the above para.
Go Around - V. Difficult but, if absolutely unavoidable, remember that there will be a significant pitch power couple (normally hidden by Normal Law) so the trim use can be minimised.

Dont expect the results to be pretty. The aim of such a 'procedure' is to walk away.

Keith Discovering
20th Feb 2006, 06:22
Thanks very much for taking time out to reply F1. spome good points.

Who do you recommend does the thrust? Non op pilot or operating?

Lateral control? Should OP do or Non op?

Pretty results they ain't :uhoh:

Kind regards

Keith

Hand Solo
20th Feb 2006, 08:49
I'd suggest PF does both thrust and lateral control. Lateral control really isn't a big issue in direct law but with the (re)introduction of the pitch pwer couple I'd wanting to be controlling my own engines if I was trying to trim the aircraft.

FlapsOne
20th Feb 2006, 17:53
Totally agree with Hand Solo

Keith Discovering
21st Feb 2006, 09:07
Thanks for the replies chaps. Much appreciated.

I'll let you know how it goes :(

Keith

Dream Land
22nd Feb 2006, 15:24
I suggest that when on final you take back the thrust control, don't worry about bleeding off the additional 10 knots at 300 ft, maintain your current attitude to touch down, when you anticipate the mains touching the runway, immediately select full reverse. Good luck.:}

TURIN
23rd Feb 2006, 18:16
I remember a divert from EDI into MAN a couple of years back with a similar problem. I think it was an ELAC1 (2) failure and the Blue AC pump went t1ts up too.

Captain said "it was a bit sluggish...":ok:

For a total elevator failure am I right in thinking that both ELACs and SECs would have to fail?

Barring something mechanical of course.

Hand Solo
23rd Feb 2006, 18:35
In control terms I think you'd need a failure of both ELACs and all three SECs to lose both elevators. Losing the blue hydraulics as well would be an extremely bad day but IIRC the elevators are also powered by the G+Y hydraulics.