PDA

View Full Version : JAA FTO - SEP proficiency check in DXB/KUL/AVV

LGB
17th Feb 2006, 04:24
I am flying long haul cargo, but keeping up my SEP rating. It is running out, and I am looking for a place to get a PC before it expires, end february, midnight zulu!

Weather here in Europe is not exactly being helpful at the moment, for SEP flying. I don't have any SEP flying hours the last two years except about one hour on an ultralight (doesn't count anyway, does it?), so I need a JAA examiner who can give me a real SEP PC, not just a training flight.

In the last week of february, I will be in Dubai, Kuala Lumpur and Avalon/Melbourne. Does anyone know of JAA FTO facilities in either of these places? I just need it VFR, though IFR is OK if VFR not possible, but it has to be a JAA approved facility/Examiner.

An alternate solution would be to gather a total of 12 SEP hours flying in one or more of these places before end february, would be great fun too, but I only have my JAA ATPL, no FAA or other license (conversion/validation must be a on-the-spot event, PPL/VFR is sufficient).

I have flown most SEP hours on C172 and various PA28s, other types would be OK as well as long as they don't require too much study and training first.

Thank you for your help.

Whopity
17th Feb 2006, 07:51
Mike Gill lives in Adelaide and can probably be contacted through CTC http://www.ctcaviation.com/0204.html. There is also the Western Australian Aviation College at Perth, a bit far away but they have JAA examiners. http://www.waaviationcollege.com.au/
Emirates College at Dubai may have the odd JAA examiner http://www.emiratesaviationcollege.com/
If you can't revalidate it in Feb by Prof Check, you can still renew after that date by Skill Test, the content is the same as the PC and no additional cost, so there really is no need to bust a gut!

LGB
17th Feb 2006, 10:00
Thanks, whopity.

Emirates Flying School said they don't do JAA checks, but that was maybe just the switchboard guy who thought so.

I am only in Melbourne for about 16 hours, so I cannot travel outside Melbourne for the check. I talked to a local flying school, and they also mentioned Perth. Even Adelaide is about 400 miles away from Melbourne.

Regarding skill test vs. PC: In Denmark skill tests can only be made by CAA examiners, and the fees for the check alone is sky high now, probably amongst the most expensive in the world. A PC would only cost me the "normal" examiner, the rent of aircraft and landing fees. I don't think for practical reasons that the tests would be the same, as I have heard the PC can be done more or less in the circuit, where as the skill test is a full monty check, with all the extra planning and that.

BEagle
17th Feb 2006, 11:20
LGB - very wrong. The LPC and LST for a SEP Class Rating are more or less the same thing, just with a different emphasis.

You most certainly cannot fly a SEP Class Rating revalidation LPC 'in the circuit'....

BillieBob
17th Feb 2006, 11:38
LGB - Try Emirates-CAE Flight Training in Dubai (+971 4 2869119). Jean Liardon used to be a JAA examiner, authorised by FOCA, but I don't know whether he kept it up.

LGB
17th Feb 2006, 15:03
Thank you both BEagle and BillieBob for the info.

It seems that weather is going to be just sufficient tomorrow afternoon at an airport nearby, otherwise I will try Mr. Liardon in Dubai.

One difference here is that all skill tests must be done by CAA examiners directly, whereas other JAA countries - to my knowledge - accepts certain instructors/examiners at various FTOs/TRTOs. This for the skill test only, as the PC can be done by any examiner.

So much for equality in JAA ... :rolleyes:

LGB
20th Feb 2006, 18:58
Problem has solved itself now, as weather was finally sufficient for the proficiency check. So I am good now till end february 2008 - though next time I will go a half year before to change to a summer season deadline!