View Full Version : 3rd turbine in the tail?

Mandenbar
16th Feb 2006, 21:34
This is probably the first time I've posted on this forum, but had a curiousity that I wanted to lay to rest. On some aircraft there is a 3rd turbine in the tail section of the airplane.. I've heard (from where, I can't remember) that this is primarily used to generate power for the aircraft, and is not necessarily used for thrust. Is this just myth or is it actually used to power the aircraft while in flight, etc? Thanks in advance!
Joel

vincent van gogh
16th Feb 2006, 21:48
Hello mandenbar,

It is what we call a Auxillery Power Unit (APU).
It's primary use is to provide the aircraft of electrical power and air to run the airconditioning packs and to start the engines.

The unit is mostly used on the ground but can also be used in flight as a back-up when one of the engine generators fails.

hope this helps.

regards Vincent

Henry Hallam
16th Feb 2006, 21:52
Well there's always the L-1011 or B727 but the "extra turbine" on those is a bit easier to spot ;)

Piltdown Man
17th Feb 2006, 19:22
We spell it "Auxiliary". I've also not heard of any that provide thrust that is used to power an aircraft. However, that does not mean to say that no thrust is generated - I'm sure it is, it's just that it's so relatively small it is of no consequence.

AlexB
17th Feb 2006, 20:25
We spell it "Auxiliary". I've also not heard of any that provide thrust that is used to power an aircraft. However, that does not mean to say that no thrust is generated - I'm sure it is, it's just that it's so relatively small it is of no consequence.

I believe its like a car's exhaust, any "propulsion" coming from the APU is just exhaust, the inlet of air is important to gain the power from the movement of the turbine.

ExSimGuy
17th Feb 2006, 20:41
Probably not relevant to the question asked, but didn't the Trident (late model) have a "plastic engine" in the tail to provise thrust just for take-off? (as well as the usual APU) Or is that "Snopes"?

AlexB
17th Feb 2006, 21:05
Probably not relevant to the question asked, but didn't the Trident (late model) have a "plastic engine" in the tail to provise thrust just for take-off? (as well as the usual APU) Or is that "Snopes"?
yup the 3B used a single Rolls-Royce RB.162-86 engine for take off boost, it had just less than half or each of the main 3 engine's power ( 5,250lbs) .
visible here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/Trident_three.jpg

Piltdown Man
18th Feb 2006, 09:29
They certainly did. The engine was a bit binary though: On & "Full Welly" or Off. Apparenty, following a rejected takeoff, this thing was still going full tilt. It was somebody's job to remember to turn it off after such an event.

Spitoon
18th Feb 2006, 09:47
And the noise was impressive too

Swedish Steve
21st Feb 2006, 20:03
[COLOR=blue] "plastic engine" in the tail ]
Yes , all the compressor blades were glass fibre. It was amazingley light weight as well, Rolls designed it as a VTOL engine. Those were the days, did my apprenticeship on the Trident.

Mandenbar
21st Feb 2006, 22:50
Thanks for the info guys, my question has been answered :)

-Mandenbar

window-seat
21st Feb 2006, 23:09
Another aircraft which uses the APU for forward thrust is the BAe 145, in fact it uses all Five of them!! :E

barit1
22nd Feb 2006, 01:32
I know this thread has been a bit on the humorous (humourous??) side, but my recollection is that the 747-200 actually took a bit of credit for TO performance on the APU, and if APU were not operating there was a slight (250kg???) penalty.

Not sure if that applied to other 747's.