PDA

View Full Version : advice on laptop tool

Simoes
16th Feb 2006, 09:08
Hello! I´m from Brazil and I fly as a B737 for GOL Airlines. I´m also the tecnical advisor for our Technical Vice-President. I wonder if you could help me with some advice about the laptop tool. If not, maybe you could tell me someone who could help me with that issue. My e-mail is: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?emailimage=9a1ebb6b661cc982463d9b355e7ea50e. Thanks!

B737MRG
16th Feb 2006, 09:43
Hi Simoes,

what exactly is your question ? I would suggest you to display it on this forum as to get as many as possible answers.

Also make sure to mention which software you are using, since several different applications are available for Take-off perfo, Landing distance, Weight & Balance, etc.

If you prefer not to, this is my e-mail : [email protected]

Pat

Simoes
16th Feb 2006, 15:03
Hi Pat.

I´m new at this forum, but I´ll try to do what you´re suggesting. What I´m really trying to do is to find out the problems that are associated to the Boeing laptop tool. For example, I heard that some companies have had many problems associated to robbery. Pilot error has also been a problem. A Air Canada B747 have even crashed because of pilot error. Maybe you could help me gather that kind of information.

Thanks for your interest on helping me

Simoes

B737MRG
16th Feb 2006, 15:39
Hi Simoes,

we don't use the Boeing Software in our airline, but your question does not regard the application itself.

I have heard of another airline where laptops disappeared very soon after implementation in the cockpit, even though some of them were attached to the airplane with some kind of locker.

In our airline, each pilot has its own private laptop, which is used for ALL paper work :
- e-mail messages from the management
- takeoff performance and weight & balance
- all manuals (we don't get any printed updates - many pilots complain that studying from a digital FCOM on screen is very difficult compared to traditional printed handbooks - you must never use your fluo markers !)

Since every pilot is responsible for its own laptop, no single one ever got lost. There was only 1 pilot that drove over his flight case when reversing his car...

Pilot error can occur at any level, doesn't matter if you are using a laptop or a printed weight book. In our airline, both pilots must use their laptop and calculate takeoff performance when the loadsheet arrives and numbers are to be compared. On 10 flights, we have 7 times a difference, because one of us used another runway intersection, forgot anti-ice or bleeds-off, etc
When we finally have the same numbers, the results are saved and after flight downloaded to the server for statistics.

Simoes
16th Feb 2006, 18:22
Thanks very much for your information. It will be very useful to us.

welliewanger
17th Feb 2006, 11:49
The easiest solution to laptop security is as follows:
1. Buy laptops with password protected BIOS.
2. Install O/S and software.
3. Disable CD ROM drive boot in BIOS (stops people installing a new O/S)
4. Give users permissions (technical term) only allowing use of specific software.

This way, even if they do steal the laptops, they will be of no use as the laptops can only be used for the software which has been designated and other software cannot be installed. A couple of laptops may be stolen, but people would soon learn.

There is a way around this, but it would take an engineer a few hours. Most pilots wouldn't know this is possible.

Hope that helps. Email me if you need more info.

Simoes
17th Feb 2006, 15:07
Thanks, Welliewanger. Your information will certainly be very useful to us.

welliewanger
20th Feb 2006, 09:12
One other suggestion is this...
http://www.absolute.com/Public/AbsoluteTrack/faqs.asp
Basically, whenever the machine is connected to the net, it calls home to say where it is. If the machine is on the "missing" list, the company can trace it's location.

Simoes
21st Feb 2006, 09:29
Thanks again!