PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me out??

jetwash22
16th Feb 2006, 07:29
hello guys! i'm kinda new here and sorry for breaking the bubble but i need help on NDB tracking using a fixed card ADF. I've done 2 sessions on a frasca 142 and NDB tracking is really the one that gets to me. I always tend to overshoot/undershoot the target radial by 3 to 5 degrees and end up bracketing althrough out the radial. It's a no wind situation!! I was thinkin that sinc most of you are top gun quality guys, maybe i could ask a little help. Any advice is gladly appreciated....thanks guys!

DFC
16th Feb 2006, 09:18
First point is that provided that you are +/- 5deg of the chosen bearing then you are considered to be established on that bearing. So +/- 3 deg is not bad when using an ADF.

Second point - are you allowing for or trying to eliminate the effects of ADF dip. If not then that could be why you roll out of the turn expecting to be on the bearing but find that you are not exactly.

Third point - We all bracket. That is how it is done. It's when you diverge beyond the +/- 5 deg and struggle to work out how to get back that you end up in trouble.

Get yourself a copy of RANT which is a great PC based training device and well worth the money. I don't have a link but I expect someone else here can provide one.

Regards,

DFC

HiFranc
16th Feb 2006, 09:52
Putting rant training navigation into google gave me:

http://shop.pilotwarehouse.co.uk/product547000023.html
and
http://www.flightstore.co.uk/rant_xl_radio_aids_navigation_tutor_2004.pilot.supplies/use.id.5.item_id.281/

I hope this helps.

jetwash22
17th Feb 2006, 16:23
Third point - We all bracket. That is how it is done. It's when you diverge beyond the +/- 5 deg and struggle to work out how to get back that you end up in trouble
DFC

phew! i thought i was the only one...man! instrument flying really gets under your skin the first time you dive into it....well, my sim session went a bit smooth today than a few days back....Were gonna start doing some NDB approaches in a few days....any tips you guys can give me beforehand are gladly appreciated....BTW, it's kinda hard getting a copy of RANT XL over here but i found a really neat site on improving NDB tracking problems...
http://www.cueman.co.uk/aviation/adfvor/
this one really helps....

thanks again you guys....:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
17th Feb 2006, 17:36
Just an aside, your post was a perfectly reasonable one (okay, just maybe you could occasionally use a full stop and/or spelling checker) - but you might like to think about refining your thread titles a bit - it's traditional to actually give a clue about your question in the title.

G

jetwash22
18th Feb 2006, 02:25
Just an aside, your post was a perfectly reasonable one (okay, just maybe you could occasionally use a full stop and/or spelling checker) - but you might like to think about refining your thread titles a bit - it's traditional to actually give a clue about your question in the title.

Aryt chief...Duly:ok: noted!