PDA

View Full Version : Custom Callsign

PC-6
14th Feb 2006, 19:05
Just did a little search but nothing came up...

AOC holders very often have their own callsign. That callsign is registered with ICAO and is official and everything (ie. Speedbird xxx) . Some military pilots use a custom callsign even when flying civilian stuff (ie. Adobe 90). And then some GA planes use a custom callsign in place of the registration (ie. Saint 66, Vectis 1...)

Do you HAVE TO register a custom callsign with the authority (not possible for private/individuals) or can you use a non-standard callsign for a one-off occasion without any other procedure?
What I am thinking is mainly along the lines of formation flying, it's easier to use a custom callsign than the registration when talking to ATC.

rotorblades
14th Feb 2006, 20:00
If you dont file a FPL you could 'get away' with it, as long as you didnt do anything wrong in the flight that causes an investigation.
If you are just talking to LARS or other services as a freecall with a personalised callsign we wouldnt know whether it was registered or not, nor would we care. you'd be okay

Spitoon
15th Feb 2006, 06:00
UK biased answer but the rules are set by ICAO so should be much the same everywhere - in order to use anything other than the a/c registration you have to apply for a callsign. In theory, the callsign you want should be checked so that it is not similar to anyone else likely to be flying in the same area and that it is not easily misheard for another operator designator etc. In practice there have been a few real howlers over the years! In the UK you apply through NATS Communication Centre - I think that's still the way anyway - all the details are in an AIC somewhere.

LXGB
15th Feb 2006, 11:41
Hi PC-6,
Might be worth giving the folks North Weald a bell. They send out civil registered Jet Provosts with SWORD callsigns all the time.

LXGB

Ops and Mops
15th Feb 2006, 11:48
Essentially, unless you hold an Air Operators Certificate (AOC), are a Flight Training Organisation (FTO) or fly a stupidly large number of movements a week AND can prove a legitimate case for the issue of a callsign, you will have "buckley's" chance of having one issued.

I know for a fact that formation flying by private individuals not operating under an AOC does not warrant the issue of an individual callsign. You should continue to use the registration of the lead aircraft and add the word "combine" or "formation" e.g. (G-ABCD Combine or G-CD Formation).

The availability of callsigns is in the same situation as radio frequencies in that there are precous few approved callsigns left in the world to be allocated. ICAO are responsible for the issue of all callsigns. In the UK, NATS merely screens the applications and forwards those that meet ALL the criteria to ICAO.

If you use a callsign for which you are not authorised, you will be in breach of the terms of your Flight Radio Telephony Operators Licence, and the Aircraft Radio Licence.

PC-6
15th Feb 2006, 20:30
Thanks for the infos guys. I thinks I've got a better picture now.
I had never heard about the "combine" and "formation" before. Quite useful...