PDA

View Full Version : Where can I hire a light piston twin (near LBA)?

Thunor
14th Feb 2006, 17:31
With neither Multiflight nor Leeds Flying School permitting solo hire of their twins does anybody know where I might be able to hire one from? If not from LBA then as close as possible.
Thanks.

Bob Stinger
15th Feb 2006, 16:14
Blackpool , has a Seneca 5 built in 2003 full efis it is only used for self flyhire so availability is pretty good http://www.poolaviation.com/selfflyhire.html
hope this helps.

Thunor
15th Feb 2006, 16:33
Many thanks Bob, very helpful:ok:

FlyingForFun
15th Feb 2006, 16:42
Pool's Seneca is extremely nice, I've got a few hours on it.

However, it's got no seats in at the moment as they attempt to fix some panel lights. Parts are apparently on order from Piper, and have been for nearly two weeks. I have tried to convince them that flying without panel lights is quite possible and could they please replace the seats so that it is flyable until the parts arrive, but they are having none of it. I have had two flights cancelled so far - one just purely for pleasure/hour-building, but the other one I actually needed to be somewhere, so it was particularly frustrating to have to cancel over something as minor as panel lights.

Have booked it again for next week, will wait to see if it's serviceable again before then.

FFF
------------

FullyFlapped
15th Feb 2006, 22:51
What do they charge for the Seneca ? And is it available for a few days at a time (foreign trips) ?

FF :ok:

FlyingForFun
16th Feb 2006, 08:14
What do they charge for the Seneca ?£300/hr, plus VAT, plus landing fees, plus a fuel surcharge.And is it available for a few days at a time (foreign trips) ?Yes - unless I want to fly it on those days of course! (But it might start getting harder soon, because they either have recently, or will soon, put it on their AOC, which will enable them to do charter work in it, and I'm sure that would take priority over self-fly hire.)

FFF
------------

Thunor
16th Feb 2006, 10:53
Thanks for all the additional info. FFF - much appreciated.

54.98N
17th Feb 2006, 17:42
Thunor,

PM me I might be able to sort something out for you.

Bob Stinger
24th Feb 2006, 10:20
As the operator of the PA34 Seneca 5, surprised to see the comments from 'flying for fun' I was disapointed to see the comments re the availablility of the aircraft for technical reasons, namely the panel lights, although the servicability of the aircraft is not questioned the cause of the failure of the panel lights was not immediately apparent. as an operator and a licensed maintenance facility we will not release an aircraft to service until we have repaired the problem and furthermore established the reason for the failure. the aircraft is now servicable and I am sure that the pilot (who was probably flying for fun) who completed the test flight (FOC) with myself was pleased with the performance and the release to service of the nicest seneca 5 which is available for hire in the UK (at the moment!).

FlyingForFun
24th Feb 2006, 11:28
Bob,

Yes, aircraft back in service. I was indeed the pilot who tested it, although I'm sure it wasn't rocket science for you to work out who I am, any more than it is for me to work out who you are!

With more knowledge now of exactly what the problem was, you are of course quite correct that the problem did indeed need fixing, as it was slightly more serious than just the lighting. A short period of being out of service should never be a big issue for any aircraft - the biggest issue, IMHO, was that no one told me what the problem was, nor even that it was out of service until I came in to fuel it up for the first of my cancelled trips.

Great to see the aircraft back, though - and I had an extremely pleasant trip to the Isle of Man in it, and an excellent lunch at the restaurant you recommended! The aircraft is fantastic, and I have pax queuing up to go flying in it with me as soon as my finances allow - I'm already planning my next trip... :ok:

FFF
------------

YYZ
24th Feb 2006, 14:20
From what I can gather, there is also an Aztec you can hire from LBA, if you call Stuart Anderson at LFS he should be able to confirm and give you details?

YYZ

Thunor
27th Feb 2006, 19:24
Thanks YYZ - I'll check it out.

PENNINE BOY
28th Feb 2006, 20:15
Seneca 5 and a Seneca 2 are available at Northern Aviation at Teeside Airport