PDA

View Full Version : PMs flight aborted in South Africa

JohnnyRocket
13th Feb 2006, 10:57
The Prime Minister's official spokesman said the PM's flight back from South Africa was aborted after sparks were seen coming from one of the engines during take off.

He said the incident occurred at 11pm South African time. "They had started their run down the runway, they hadn't got very far when the pilot noticed something wrong with engine number three. They shut down the engine, aborted take-off, and went back to the terminal. Being 11pm South African time, there weren't any other planes and they couldn't have arranged an alternative to get them back in time for the ID card vote. He will travel back overnight tonight."

Asked if there were sparks coming from one of the engines, the spokesman said: "I gather that was one of the symptoms of an engine not working. In terms of take-off speed, they were well short of the point of take-off. In the technical jargon, this is termed a minor incident."

The spokesman refused to say which airline company owned the aircraft which had been privately chartered for the trip.

5711N0205W
13th Feb 2006, 11:24
The spokesman refused to say which airline company owned the aircraft which had been privately chartered for the trip.

Bloomin waste of money.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
13th Feb 2006, 11:27
Thought he normally flew a chartered BA 777 when going long haul???

gordonroxburgh
13th Feb 2006, 11:33
http://www.jetaviation.com/index.php/jet/services/chartereurope/chartereurope_dc872

I'm sure others will agree that a engine failure on take off roll, is probably a slightly bigger event that was was being described as a "minor incident".
the a/c looks quite over powered with the CFM 56 engines

But the question needs to be asked why the UK government are chartering foreign aircraft for who is essentially the head of state. (Obviously HM the Queen is the head of State).

The UK has 3 major airlines capable of doing the job: BA, VS and BD, not to mention the RAF with the Queens flight

lasernigel
13th Feb 2006, 11:48
when the pilot noticed something wrong with engine number three

Can't be a 777 then can it.
Using B.A. scheduled flight??? Nah His Tonyness wouldn't lower himself that far,he leaves that to the Royals.

dontdoit
13th Feb 2006, 11:54
Long-range Falcon 900. Don't know where you got the DC8 idea from.

LGW Vulture
13th Feb 2006, 11:58
Where do they tech stop with a 900 then?

amanoffewwords
13th Feb 2006, 12:18
Bloomin waste of money.

afaik the journalists who travel with him pay to do so hence the tax payer pays nothing

UL730
13th Feb 2006, 12:22
Comment from Downing St. when asked whether it was correct that sparks were seen from the underside of the plane - the spokesman said:
"I gather that was one of the symptoms of an engine not working."
Nobody can say our political leaders are other than intuitive.
Might have a golden lining – as Tony Blair will miss today's crucial Commons vote on ID cards. His whips were counting on him not repeating recent Education Bill gaffs.
:\

Aer Turas
13th Feb 2006, 12:35
I saw him a few days ago on the tv getting off a DC 8, so its likely he was heading back on it as well.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
13th Feb 2006, 12:43
The DC-8 was in MAN the other night, so maybe it was picking him up?

It only seats up to 35 people, so there is not room for many journos once the PM's staff are all in there.

Do you think would have to apply for traffic rights to fly a UK-SA routing, and could/would any other aircraft operators object?

doubledolphins
13th Feb 2006, 12:49
Problem with this story is that unless some one comes up with the correct aircraft on this thread even the journos who were on it will know what it was.
Is this the first ever reported incident of "Diplomatic Tech Problems"? As in Diplomatic Flu?

JimmyTAP
13th Feb 2006, 12:56
The Press Assocation has this quote "The spokesman confirmed that sparks were seen coming from one of the plane's three engines."

Would suggest Falcon 900 right enough. Don't know who would have seen the sparks though. ATC?

JT

oldppl
13th Feb 2006, 13:07
Perhaps he should have been taken in an RAF VC10 thet say it's the fastest subsonic airliner and it looks good as well

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Feb 2006, 13:21
Coincidentally.... HB-IGH DC-8 is said to be "delayed" in Jo'burg....

airsound
13th Feb 2006, 13:39
I just called No 10 Press Office, and they didn't want to say anything about it, but did confirm it was "a three-engined" aircraft.

Shanwickman
13th Feb 2006, 13:55
Did they mean three engined after or before the tech problem?

JohnnyRocket
13th Feb 2006, 15:05
Tony Blair has been describing the moment his jet developed mechanical problems in South Africa this morning. He said he heard a loud bang just before the plane was about to take off. He'd been attending a summit on combating world poverty. His official spokesman said it was impossible to arrange another flight to take the Prime Minister back to the UK in time for this evening's Commons vote on identity cards.

"We were just about to take off, and I suppose in another few seconds we would have been in the air, and then suddenly there was a bang and I didn't really have time to be particularly worried about it, but.. So there it is. It's just one of these things."

WHBM
13th Feb 2006, 15:23
He'd been attending a summit on combating world povertyFor which he and his group had chartered an executive aircraft at goodness-knows-what (including positioning it to/from Basel) rather than going out on one of the many commercial 747s which operate at the same times.

doubledolphins
13th Feb 2006, 15:46
Spotters Corner! Does our glorious leader know has been relegated to the world of anoraks and thormous flasks! Or is Danny trying to hide some thing?

brakedwell
13th Feb 2006, 16:04
Of course he could have really upset the Greens by using a Vickers Funbus.

BOAC
13th Feb 2006, 16:08
Just don't tell Gordon Brown:)

UL730
13th Feb 2006, 16:21
doubledolphins Any contribution I make to R & N seems to consign the thread automatically to Spotters Corner.:\

I normally inhabit the "land of roughnecks and reprobates" as Danny has entitled JB.

The two occasions I have tried to upgrade to Business Class on R & N - the thread has been tossed to SC.

Maybe ....... I should get on message:confused:

:sad:

BOAC
13th Feb 2006, 18:03
UL - not sure you have a grievance there?

You are indeed privileged to be part of a thread that has been moved by Danny no less, and surely it is JohnnyRocket who should be whingeing?

Groundloop
14th Feb 2006, 08:28
What I want to know with all this chartering of foreign aircraft is, does this mean that our Prime Minister can be airborne for goodness knows how many hours and has no secure communications system in case a sudden crisis breaks?

It seems to be that Tone's obsession with appearing to not squander money means he cannot actually carry out his duties properly.

Oh, forget all I've just said. I've just remembered - Gordon Brown is actually our Prime Minister now! Tone's only a figurehead.

brakedwell
14th Feb 2006, 08:49
Surely Deputy Dawg Prescott is in charge of little britain when Athony Bliar is away saving Africa!

Groundloop
14th Feb 2006, 12:09
Shhh! Tone and Gordon forgot to tell old Two Jags.

Taildragger67
14th Feb 2006, 13:30
So...

Will the next canny Scot to run the UK order himself a 330 (or some such) or will he go the other direction and be happy with 56E?

Even Little Johnny Howard has a BBJ!!

This is embarrassing... the leader of a G7 country can't get back because his chartered ride went u/s. Unbelievable.

UL730
14th Feb 2006, 15:52
BOAC
No hardship and one is priviledged to be moved on by a star ;)

TwinAisle
14th Feb 2006, 21:32
Now if I were a terrible cynic, I would ask whether this incident has been played up in the press, as a way of allowing the Dear Leader to have his way and order a 330 as Blairforce One....

"You see, Gordon? I do it on the cheap and Britain becomes a laughing stock. Clapped out American jet, with Me on it, all over the news. Not very New Labour, New Britain. Now be a good boy and sign this cheque, payable to Airbus SAS please."

TA (not a UK taxpayer and relieved so not to be...)

Monkey Boy
15th Feb 2006, 08:22
"You see, Gordon? I do it on the cheap and Britain becomes a laughing stock. Clapped out American jet, with Me on it, all over the news. Not very New Labour, New Britain. Now be a good boy and sign this cheque, payable to Airbus SAS please."

On the cheap :confused: ???? Booking business class tickets would be on the cheap - I reckon the DC-8 was a little more expensive than that to charter!

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
15th Feb 2006, 11:59
There is no way they'd fly business class. They'd have to buy the first class cabin from BA for comfort and safety.

I reckon chartering the DC-8 compared to 1st class tickets on that route would not be that much difference in price, per head.

NoelMG
15th Feb 2006, 12:30
The aircraft in question was definitely HB-IGH, DC8 belonging to Jet Aviation of Zurich as mentioned earlier.

He did indeed fly from MAN.

Monkey Boy
15th Feb 2006, 12:36
There is no way they'd fly business class. They'd have to buy the first class cabin from BA for comfort and safety.

I reckon chartering the DC-8 compared to 1st class tickets on that route would not be that much difference in price, per head.

You think so? I don't know how much it would cost to buy the whole 1st class section, but I reckon the government would get a good rate. I've got a failrly good idea how much a VIP DC-8 costs to charter too, and I think I know which is more expensive!

Newforest
15th Feb 2006, 14:25
Now if I were a terrible cynic, I would ask whether this incident has been played up in the press, as a way of allowing the Dear Leader to have his way and order a 330 as Blairforce One....

Oh no, that would be politics!:p

Anyway, is Tony home now and how did he get there?

TwinAisle
15th Feb 2006, 15:46
On the cheap ???? Booking business class tickets would be on the cheap - I reckon the DC-8 was a little more expensive than that to charter!

I agree - but perception is everything. Which do you think the Great Unwashed would consider cheaper - First Class on a BA 777 or sat in some old DC8?

Not a very large slice of the electorate is as clued up as the average PPRUNEr!

Monkey Boy
15th Feb 2006, 16:11
Well, if you phrase it like that surely the public see: -

1). A big aeroplane with our Tony & co. filling up the front bit with lots of other poor people sharing the burden of cost by sitting down the back

or

2). A big aeroplane with Tony and 10 of his chums rattling around inside on their own.

Still looks expensive to me!

Annoyed? I'd say so - I pay taxes therefore I'm paying for this!!! Bung him on BA and have done with it! :mad:

go_edw
15th Feb 2006, 17:41
After a google search I found this;

Jet Aviation Business Jets

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5675736

God know why he didn't just jump on a BA/SA/Virgin/Nationwide flight!?

http://www.jetaviation.com/index.php/jet/services/chartereurope/chartereurope_dc872

Just done a quick price check 244,750 euros!