PDA

View Full Version : Omenerves!!

Mulligan
12th Feb 2006, 20:01
Allright, I've had enough! Not sure if the old ticker is up to too much more of this!
Can someone tell me why the flight attendant call tone is so %!!@&^% loud on Airbus aircraft? It makes the fire warning chimes sound like the Moonlight Sonata by comparison and I'd like to know why.
I have a theory that the guy who designs these things for Airbus is/was married to a flight attwndant who is/was not a big fan of pilots.
Does anyone know if it's possible to turn the damn thing down? I will pay for this info.
AGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!:{

Willy Miller
25th Feb 2006, 18:35
Asked the same question about the Q400. The volume CAN be turned down but this will screw with the emergency PA volume. The manufacturer is "working on it............"

Best foot forward
26th Feb 2006, 21:14
Why not ask the Ginger beers to turn the volume down.

Down Three Greens
26th Feb 2006, 21:47
A Flight Warning Computer (FWC) modification is available for this....but it is not free of charge unfortunately. The volume can't be turned down by any direct engineering action so it may be better for your ops dept to find a 'less intrusive' method to get around the problem. I must admit it does lift you off your seat at 3am! :eek:

DTG

PS Sorry I can't provide a more detailed suggestion 'cos I don't think it is appropriate to discuss any procedures and methods of flight deck comms on such a public forum.

Capt Claret
27th Feb 2006, 06:01
You should hear the EGPWS radalt calls during approach. FIVE HUNDRED nearly always sent me through the roof and I can't see how being scared witless at 500' on approach possibly improved safety! :hmm:

Maude Charlee
27th Feb 2006, 09:43
Hmmm, methinks it is a design engineers' conspiracy. They do it in cars too you know. The low fuel warning light and tone in my Skoda is gonna see me through a hedge eventually, assuming the PA call button doesn't do for me first. :suspect:

SIDSTAR
12th Mar 2006, 00:35
Hi Mulligan,

I've heard - cant remember where, so cannot verify - that it's related to a certification requirement but which one I don't know.

It certainly lifts you out of your seat at any time of day or night. We fixed it very simply. We call the cabin crew for their "cabin secure" check before takeoff and landing. This also has the benefit of not being interrupted just as ATC gives you a frequency change etc. Works well.

Of course if the CIDS is reprogrammed ( costs money) to include a "cabin ready" message on the ECAM memo you dont need it for routine takeoff and landing calls.