PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit vacuum cleaner

skywalker
12th Feb 2006, 13:51
I hope tech log is the best place to get my answer, if not I apologize in advance.
Is there a light weight very small vacuum cleaner on the market that would fit in a flight bag so every time I am flying over the pond I can clean that messy dusty cockpit panels without damaging anything? AC or DC operated.

Thank you

donpizmeov
12th Feb 2006, 14:02
I guess there maybe, but wont the weight of the female required to operate it make this venture a bit of a non-starter?

Don

Bumz_Rush
12th Feb 2006, 15:37
...sells a battery powered hand held device for cleaning key boards etc.

Bumz

Captain Airclues
12th Feb 2006, 15:59
Pulling the Smoke Evacuation Handle on the 744 gets rid of most of the dust. :)

Eliason
12th Feb 2006, 16:15
Wow - someone who likes a clean cockpit, is borred on long flights and finds something usefull to widdle his time! Something new everyday... :p
I for one just carry a small brush in my bag - and borrow the vacuum cleaner on the turn-arounds... that is - if you have any ;) Mind it - just be carefull - powerfull vacuum cleaners have a tendency to sometimes clean buttons as well :uhoh:
Oh - and if you are on my side of the pond and have a spare moment - my room would need some vacuuming too! :ok: (I have a tendency to clean up the workplace, but mess up my home) :{

Oh - found a link for you - maybe one of those?
http://householdappliances.kelkoo.co.uk/ctl/do/compare?from=shopbot&catPath=uk%2FhouseholdAppliances&catId=146501&type=Vacuum+Cleaner&manufacturer=I&category=homeapp&product=ok&keyword=hand+held&maxprice=&x=0&y=0

barit1
15th Feb 2006, 00:43
Gee, with upwards of 8 or 9 psi differential to the Great Vacuum in the Sky, you'd think Boe-bus would have provided a neat little vacuum nozzle, giving the means to do it sans batteries. :}

Call it the FCES (Flight Crew Entertainment System) if you like, but remember you heard it here first...:ok:

Milt
15th Feb 2006, 06:54
As a onetime CO of a C-130 squadron and insistent on clean flight decks and no beverages ever to be passed over consoles I had some hoses made up having an end fitting which plugged into the astro compass receptacle.

Pressurisation to atmosphere made a very poweful vaccuum cleaner. Pity it's not a standard fit. Right seaters even took to doing the cleaning at home!!

Loadies and engineers all wanted their turns!!

But never ever try to throw a paper bag of prawn remains out of the para door. Most come back inside, swirl around and stink for weeks.

broadreach
15th Feb 2006, 22:55
Dustbuster I used to have in the car came to mind but smaller would be better, something between that and those tiny useless keyboard vacuum cleaners.