PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructor Books

G-ANDY
12th Feb 2006, 11:54
Hi!

I've just started an FI course and was wondering if anyone could recommend any books to read which would assist in the course and when instructing - and if they have the books and wanted to sell them on!

Many thanks,

Andy

hashdef
12th Feb 2006, 12:47
The FI 'bible' is "Flight Instructors Manual" by the late great R.D. Cambell. I personally think the presentation is a bit dated, but all you need to know is in there ....

TheOddOne
12th Feb 2006, 12:52
I tried getting hold of a copy of this last week. It's still on order, but a delivery date isn't certain.

I also bought the 'latest' Air Law book, Aviation Law for Pilots, tenth edition, by Underdown & Palmer, but there are several things in there that I know are out-of-date, so, apart from reading the ANO & AIP, is there a more recent digest of current Air Law?

Cheers,
TheOddOne

Dan Winterland
17th Feb 2006, 03:15
Campbell's book is outdated. For a more up to date reference try the instructor's notes published by Ontrack Aviation www.ontrackaviation.com They are based on the CFS instructor guides and are vastly superior to anything else IMHO. A bit more expensive, but worth it.

Rosanna
17th Feb 2006, 19:42
I think that this book is very interesting: "The flying Instructors Patter Manual" by Peter Phillips and Robert Cole - Airlife Publishing Ltd.
In this book you can find terms and language useful when you demonstrate training exercises. It helped me in some occasion...

Ciao!!!

Rosanna

Dave Bloke
17th Feb 2006, 23:17
I have Campbell, the Patter Manual and the OnTrack notes. Both the former are interesting and extremely useful reading and will be a great benefit. I instruct part-time though, so the only way I can ensure decent personal standardisation after a long period away is to brief directly from a set of notes and IMHO the OnTrack notes are as good as a non-CFS person is ever likely to come across.

I'm not linked with them in any way but I'm happy to recommend their paperwork.