PDA

View Full Version : Which PPL books?

nakbin
12th Feb 2006, 05:41
I'd like to start studying the PPL theory subjects. I won't start flying training for several months (with the aim of becoming a commercial pilot), but would like to study the theory as much as possible before then.

A flight school, which I emailed with some questions, recommended either the Air Pilot Manuals by Trevor Thom or the AFE PPL Course Series by Jeremy Pratt.

Can anyone give me their opinion on which of these series is better and why? (Or any other recommendations)?

Cheers

Whirlygig
12th Feb 2006, 05:57
This does get duscussed quite a lot so you could try a search on this forum.

Personally, if you want to continue your flying training after PPL, I'd go for Trevor Thom. They're a bit dry and boring but all the info you need is there and more.

The Jeremy Pratt books are well presented and laid out but I felt that they were not so informative.

Cheers

Whirls

nakbin
12th Feb 2006, 07:47
Thanks for your reply!

I did search the forum first, but didn't find anything! Do the Trevor Thom books have many diagrams? As I won't be doing any practical training for a while to relate the theory to - these might be especially helpful.

Also, as the Trevor Thom books are fairly old (I think?), do you think they are still fairly up-to-date? - (I realise MOST things don't/can't change e.g. principles of flight etc, but maybe some of the content may be redundant??)

Thanks

Genghis the Engineer
12th Feb 2006, 08:15
The Trevor Thom books do get updated regularly.

Both contain a fair number of diagrams.

Having said all that, my recommendation would be to get the Jeremy Pratt books. Much more accessible, don't throw lots of unnecessary information at you - and if you do take your flying further, you'll need separate CPL/ATPL books anyhow (and that'll be several years in the future, by which time, some subjects at-least will have changed).

G

B Fraser
12th Feb 2006, 09:39
The TT books are rather good and you should be able to find most of them on the second hand market. Most subjects remain fairly static (Met, Human Factors etc) but airlaw does change quite frequently so it's a good idea to buy a fresh copy for that subject. Don't be tempted to do what I did in that I borrowed some old airlaw tapes to listen to on the daily commute. Come the exam, I suddenly found that the rules and units of measurement for VFR minima had all changed. I managed to pass but the lesson was learned.

There are some CD's that are worth a look (if you have the money or means to acquire them....nuff said).

The PPL confuser (green cover version) IMHO is well worth buying.

Pilot RatBoy
12th Feb 2006, 12:12
Speaking as a current PPL student, I am using the Jeremy Pratt series to study and so far obtained 83% average from Air Law, Met, Nav, and the RT written exam. Also, the Q&A book inthis series is a good revision resource. Whilst you study for your PPL, I would recommend buying the whole flight pack from AFE, as it includes everything you will need at PPL level, and it does work out cheaper.

captain_flynn
12th Feb 2006, 12:57
Trevor Thom's books are what I use! They're very detailed but simple enough to understand!

coodem
13th Feb 2006, 07:14
While on the subject of studies/exams. What exams would you guys say are the hardest?

Im off to the states in 4 weeks for a 21 day PPL, but am wanting to get a few of the exams out the way before I go. I plan to do about 4 before I depart, Starting with airlaw which I'm taking on Thursday. I was going to do Met after that then Nav, then radio if time permits. What do you guys think is best to get out the way 1st?

Halfbaked_Boy
13th Feb 2006, 11:29
Coodem,

It really depends what areas you are good at, but personally I found that Navigation required the most applied knowledge, whereas the Technical test required a higher level of understanding of what you are reading so that you can distinguish between two similar answers.

Cheers, Jack.

Whirlygig
13th Feb 2006, 11:33
Air Law, Met and Human Factors don't really require much previous experience of flying and these were the ones I did in advance of a full-time PPL. Communications would also be a possibility but the others may well require a bit more flying experience and the help of a tutor - if nothing else to show you how to use a whizz-wheel rather than trying to work it out from the destructions provided!

Cheers

Whirls

hobbit1983
13th Feb 2006, 17:16
Am currently studying for my PPL - I happen to have a set of both books (owned the Trevor Thom ones before I started, the AFE ones were part of the course package) and I generally learn from the Trevor Thom ones first off, and use the AFE ones (Jeremy Pratt) to revise, as they cover the relevant points in simple, brief points. The TT ones I find cover things in a lot more detail.

I also have the Confuser, which was an excellent buy! and the AFE guide to the PA-28.

Happy Wanderer
13th Feb 2006, 23:47
a-wing,
I asked the very same question when I started my PPL last November, and the helpful advice I got from my flying school at the time was based on individual learning styles.
If like me you're mainly a visual person, go for the Jeremy Pratt books - there much more illustrative than Thom which will probably appeal to those who prefer a more detailed, text-based warts 'n all approach to the theory. Thom does seem to be favoured by the 'the establishment', albeit this may reflect how long the books have been around now.
One more thing - if you go for Pratt, buy them on Amazon - they're much cheaper. I paid about £14 per book, which is £6 off the price you'll pay mail order, Waterstones etc.
Hope this helps.
HW

Ninety-Nines
14th Feb 2006, 02:22
Both sets of books are excellent - you won't go wrong with either.