PDA

View Full Version : European Accident Investigation

Genghis the Engineer
11th Feb 2006, 23:58
I was interested to come across this pdf (http://www.easa.eu.int/doc/Recruitment/Vacancy/Vacancy_AD/EASA_AD_2006_059.pdf)whilst looking something up on EASA's website.

Is this a worthy and appropriate plan to stay in touch with various AIBs and their work, or the start of further empire building before they've got the hang of ops and certification yet?

Thoughts anybody?

G

TheOddOne
12th Feb 2006, 10:29
Genghis,

The requirements for Accident Investigation (as with much else) are laid out by ICAO. It does seem to me that EASA are trying to re-invent several wheels - by and large, there is great respect for the way in which ICAO SARPS have developed over the years. Don't fix what ain't broke.

The job description talks about 'acting as a focal point for giving advice on accident investigation'. It seems to me that this is a mature activity in Europe; most States have access to effective investigation processes, even though we might take issue with the way in which some of them operate!

As you say, they don't seem to have got the hang of Ops & Certification yet. Personally I'm not looking forward to the time when they turn their attention to Aerodrome Licencing (which is my bit).

Cheers,
TheOddOne

harpic
12th Feb 2006, 11:07
This is the continuing Europeanisation of our institutions. Soon there will be no more CAA and no more AAIB. Not to mention No Farms No Fishing No Jobs.

We had better hope that these EU officials and Politicians are no more corrupt and incompetent than our own.

Squadron of Pigs in tight formation drones (oinks..?) overhead.

Ops Bangle
12th Feb 2006, 12:58
I was watching the Parliament Channel the other night (I know sad g*t) and there was a very interesting 2 hour piece on the Transport Sub-committee, especially looking at the CAA.

Throughout the 2 hours there was a consistent concerns being raised about EASA and its "fitness for purpose". The DOT minister (Karen Buck) and her sidekick were getting a good grilling on how the CAA could stop certain activities, saying that they were now in "EASA's remit" while EASA dosn't have the infrastructure (or even a budget!) to do the activities it already is trying to do. The emphasis was on the fact that the DOT didn't really appear to know what the CAA was up to! One of the committee's concerns that a "level playing field" could mean the lowest common denominator i.e. that EASA would set certain safety levels on the basis of what the majority did, rather than the highest level's attainable.

The DOT did say that that they could direct the CAA to do certain things but they seemed rather relaxed about the whole CAA/EASA situation.

'India-Mike
12th Feb 2006, 19:15
Politically- rather than needs-based empire-building. Inevitable though.

lomapaseo
12th Feb 2006, 21:23
I believe that EASA is regulatory/standards based and not an independent investigating agency,

As such it would be their job to review and implement the recommendations towards airworthiness actions made by the investigating agencies.

As always the timeliness of taking crucial and immediate action to prevent the next related cause accident is paramont to carrying out this function. What better way then to be part of critical insiders to an accident investigation, without waiting a couple of years for a final report to be published and agreed by all parties foreign and domestic.

The FAA in the US already has an Office of Accident investigation to serve this very purpose.

Tartan Giant
14th Feb 2006, 18:20
This is the continuing Europeanisation of our institutions. Soon there will be no more CAA and no more AAIB. Not to mention No Farms No Fishing No Jobs.
We had better hope that these EU officials and Politicians are no more corrupt and incompetent than our own.
Squadron of Pigs in tight formation drones (oinks..?) overhead.
I agree with you harpic - the buggers are chipping away at every aspect of our being and getting their feet and fingers into every pie we have.
As for Karen Buck, she is just a waste of space - rubber stamp woman for EU "orders".
The DOT minister (Karen Buck) and her sidekick were getting a good grilling on how the CAA could stop certain activities, saying that they were now in "EASA's remit" while EASA dosn't have the infrastructure (or even a budget!) to do the activities it already is trying to do......
The CAA cannot stop anything the EU shoves their way - they do not even raise a finger to help us in the UK. I give you the case of EC785/2004 and in particular the anomaly of 3rd party insurance for the SallyB.
The CAA are helpless as admitted by the boss!
Unfortunately the EC Regulation does not allow for any exemption, and the CAA has no discretion in this matter.
Sir Roy McNulty CBE
Chairman 20th April 2005
---------------------------------
Unfortunately, as explained in Sir Roy McNulty’s letter to you of 20 April, the CAA has no powers in this matter.
R D Elder
Acting Group Director Safety Regulation - 21 Apr 2005
There are others too who abhor the continual and unwelcome interference of the EU jack-boot however disguised with cloth and paper:
The Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs Committees Report Aviation Safety, highlighted a few concerns, not least interference from across the English Channel here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_aviation/documents/page/dft_aviation_503567.hcsp
European institutional arrangements
(k) We view both the existing Joint Aviation Authorities and the proposed European Aviation Safety authority with some concern. The United Kingdoms aviation industry has a proud safety record and very high standards of regulation: both have at least the potential to be undermined by membership of these organisations. Accordingly we recommend that the Government should clarify whether the European Aviation Safety Authority would have legal power to impose the standards it proposes, and the Government should seek an undertaking before joining the Authority that the safety standards of the United Kingdom will not be adversely affected (paragraph 35).
In answer to GtheE's question.........
Is this a worthy and appropriate plan to stay in touch with various AIBs and their work, or the start of further empire building before they've got the hang of ops and certification yet?
Thoughts anybody?
G
No it is not. It is another nail in the coffin of the independant and safer inquiry machine.
TG

Tartan Giant
14th Feb 2006, 18:27
Does the layout and design of the EASA's website look clean and efficient?

Does it give you the impression of a safety culture?

http://www.easa.eu.int/home/index.html

I think it is a bloody mess, and looks like a dogs dinner - if they approve that, what else is under their skin ready for the masses?

TG