PDA

View Full Version : Sir Freddie Laker Dies

d192049d
9th Feb 2006, 21:47
Just been announced that Sir Freddy Laker has passed away....long live the SkyTrain

aeroconejo
9th Feb 2006, 21:52
Very sad news indeed. One of the industry's best loved characters who will be missed by many.

aero

rover2701
9th Feb 2006, 21:56
Fred you are missed. You were truly the pioneer of the budget airlines.
I worked for him for 3 great years. Best job I ever had

jetfour
9th Feb 2006, 22:00
If you subtract the harm that he did to the established order, from the good that he did to the future of commercial aviation, IMHO that he has a balance in heaven - in the aviation dept.

R.I.P.

dwshimoda
9th Feb 2006, 22:03
Still remember when I was 7 (In 1980!) seeing a Skytrain at Manchester and being in awe. Clearly before my adult time, but a true pioneer. Only now an I starting to realise my dream, but if I could time-shift 30 years, I'd have loved to work for Sir Freddie!

rover2701
9th Feb 2006, 22:09
dwshimoda
I worked for Fred at Manchester in 1980. I was in awe also. DC10 was first widebody I had worked on. Loved the airplane and the company. It was a fantastic time to be in the aviation industry. Every day I loved going to work. Never been the same since February 5th 1982.A truly sad day today.

The AvgasDinosaur
9th Feb 2006, 22:17
What a man, What a character, What a loss !
Rest peacefully, Sir
With the utmost respect
David
"The Avgas Dinosaur"

bagpuss lives
9th Feb 2006, 22:51
RIP Freddy.

captjns
9th Feb 2006, 23:30
After and early airline in endeavor in England… After Sky Train brought to ruin by BA and members of MP... After Laker International... Sir Freddy Laker, with the energy and enthusiasm of a young kid, created Laker Bahama Airlines a Bahamian airline based in Fort Lauderdale.

I had the pleasure of first meeting Sir Freddy in 1999 in “Aviators” a restaurant on the west side ramp of Fort Lauderdale International Airport (KFLL). My impression of Sir Freddy from day one was that he was a man of class and a true gentleman. Occasionally, we would have lunch together from time to time. I was very intrigued by his exploits in aviation from the 1940s up to Laker Bahama Airlines. While I was with a charter airline, I had the pleasure of providing short call sub-service with our 727s for Sir Freddy from time to time when one of his aircraft were out of service. In 2001, I had the pleasure of having our airline providing sub-service for Laker Bahama, while his aircraft were undergoing “C” Checks. I remember Sir Freddy as a hands on owner/operator. Sir Freddy, himself, personally made sure my crews were taken care of while on layovers in Freeport. On several occasions, he would ride our aircraft and personally greet the passengers and talk to them while on route. Sir Freddy’s, generosity was extended to the employees of our airline from day one. Sir Freddy provided our crews with gratuitous unlimited hotel/food/vacation vouchers at the hotels he was affiliated with in the Bahamas along with free transport on his airline too.

Sir Freddy’s demeanor was no different whether at lunch, at the bar, or at the office. In my opinion, Sir Freddy Laker’s hand shake was just as good as his signature on a contract… I will always remember Sir Freddy as a true gentleman… a class act… and an undaunted pioneer in low cost commercial air travel.

Global Pilot
9th Feb 2006, 23:54
BBC just reporting :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4699372.stm

captain_flynn
10th Feb 2006, 00:39
Oh thats sad. I always liked him. :uhoh:

Moderate Man
10th Feb 2006, 01:33
Sad news about Sir Freddie. I would also like to pay tribute. Obviously he was a great pioneer, by succeeding, against the odds, in defeating the cartel of long-established high-charging airlines. The disgraceful behaviour of people in high places conspiring to get rid of Laker opened my eyes to the ways of the world. Working for Laker Airways was by far my best job, because apart from the satisfaction of being part of something new and hugely popular it was a happy company, as shown, I think by the many well-attended re-unions. As said by others Sir Freddie was a very honourable man, and I am ashamed of the way my country treated him.

Mr Angry from Purley
10th Feb 2006, 02:43
Best Airline I will ever work at, many happy memories. Sad day for Aviation
OC41

Loose rivets
10th Feb 2006, 03:26
That twinkle in his eye came from his ebullient enthusiasm for life and of course, his lust for searching for new windmills to tilt at.

He did not waste a minute of that extraordinary life.

Hippy
10th Feb 2006, 04:25
As a kid, I had a little blue fluffy mouse on a bit of string that I would 'fly' around my house. His name was Freddie Laker.
A true pioneer.
Thanks Freddie, the world is smaller place because of you.

rosario
10th Feb 2006, 05:13
The best airline I have ever worked for,it was all a big family,Freddie you were a class act

JJflyer
10th Feb 2006, 05:33
Sad day to aviation. RIP Sir Freddie

JJ

VIKING9
10th Feb 2006, 07:03
I had the pleasure of meeting him when I flew on one of his then new A300's on a jolly round the Bay of Biscay. What a very very nice man, a true gentleman.

These pictures are posted in his honour - Sir Freddie Laker : RIP

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/andy757/LakerA300.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/andy757/LakerDC10.jpg

IB4138
10th Feb 2006, 07:09
I remember the one-elevens and the 707s on the charter services, before he started Skytrain and aquired the DC10s.
RIP Sir Freddie...you deserve it!

tilewood
10th Feb 2006, 07:38
I had the pleasure of working for Channel Airbridge/ British United Air Ferries
at London Southend Airport in the early 1960s. Sir Freddie was busy
ensuring that Aviation Traders were converting DC4s into Carvairs ( his idea)
at their Southend facility.

We always knew when we saw his Rolls Royce arrive that we were in for
an exciting day!

He inspired staff and received affection and loyalty like no other employer
I have known. He also used to throw some wonderful Christmas staff parties!!

The airline world has lost a great man.

BEagle
10th Feb 2006, 08:04
Great guy - great airline. Both will be sadly missed.

Many a time I flew on holiday on his 1-11s and 707s to Mahon and back.

RIP Sir Freddie.

PPRuNe Pop
10th Feb 2006, 08:20
Met him a few times and enjoyed his company. He was one of the best raconteurs with great wit. He also had a shrewd business brain. You will be sadly missed Fred, but your memory is one of those that will go on and on as being a gentleman and man for all people. RIP and God bless you.

Laker Liker
10th Feb 2006, 08:57
I had the pleasure of working for Fredfor the four last years as a flight engineer on the DC-10s. Best job I've ever had in the industry.

Many of his staff went on(including yours truly) to start BCal Charter later renamed CalAir and Novair.

Trawl through the senior staff at Virgin Atlantic and quite a few are ex Laker.

Good on you Boss!

JW411
10th Feb 2006, 09:08
He told us at the last reunion not to take too long to organise the next one for he was not getting any younger. Sadly he was right.

Fred was the best boss I will ever have and he will be sadly missed by many.

CI300
10th Feb 2006, 10:11
I still have a photo of a young me on the flight deck of a laker dc10 ex U.S. Its to blame for my career!

flash8
10th Feb 2006, 11:33
A truly sad day for Aviation, and reminding us of the dawn of an era that was the end of the golden age.

He was one of lifes greats, a larger than life figure who was a great influence on me when I were young, watching his DC-10's flying in to Gatwick from the top of the multi-storey back in the late 70's/early 80's.

RIP freddy. You were one damned great guy. I'm totally moved. I guess you meant more to me than I'd realized.

frostbite
10th Feb 2006, 11:47
I also worked for Sir Freddie in the Aviation Traders section at Southend. Being just a sprog at the time I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but he was and remained one of my aviation heroes. RIP

Lou Scannon
10th Feb 2006, 13:18
as has been said before: Best job I ever had!

I still have one of his uniforms somewhere, I guess that I hung on to it in the hope that he would start up again! I still have some of the stickers as well.

Let's hope that there will be a memorial service in the UK for him.:)

Gordon Fraser
10th Feb 2006, 13:31
Although Sir Freddy Laker will be long remembered for his pioneering work in low-cost charter airlines, this was merely the peak of an extraordinary career in aviation. In 1947, Sir Freddy founded Aviation Traders Ltd. From this evolved several small charter airlines, culminating in the formation of Air Charter Ltd. During these years Sir Freddy operated a mix of Yorks, Tudors, Bristol Freighters and DC4s.
From their experience with DC4s, Aviation Traders developed the Carvair. Air Charter merged with Channel Air Bridge operating Bristol Freighters and Carvairs across the Channel.
In 1957 Aviation Traders Ltd designed, built and flew the Accountant. Although this twin Dart passenger aircraft was not a commercial success a contemporary publication remarked – “ when a comparatively small company, whose previous experience of aircraft manufacture has been confined to sub-assemblies and components, designs and builds a twin turbo-prop airliner by its own resources, a page is added to aviation history “
In 1957 Aviation Traders acquired nearly 250 Prentice trainers as surplus from the
RAF ,with the intention of converting them to 4 seat executive aircraft. The block of 149 consecutive registrations from G-AOJZ to AOPY probably represents the largest ever block on the British Register
Sir Freddy Laker will always be associated with Skytrain, but it is important that his previous contributions to aviation not be overlooked
What a life – and what a heritage!!

GF

er340790
10th Feb 2006, 13:37
So farewell Sir Freddie Laker.
Inventor of the SkyTrain.
May you too fly with the angels.
And deregulate heaven for all.

paulc
10th Feb 2006, 13:44
The first (and only) time I have sat up front for a take off was on a Laker Bac 1-11 from LGW to Alicante and back on 3rd Nov 1979 - fantastic experience for a 12 year old!

All because the company my dad worked for was doing some work for Laker and dad's being dad's mentioned my interest in aviation and some months later the above trip was the result.

A real character who will be greatly missed.
RIP Sir Freddie

johno617tonka
10th Feb 2006, 13:55
i read bransons book a few years ago, and if i remember correctly it was through speaking to freddie about how BA got one over on him that VIRGIN was to escape the same fate! if you put that into context over the years how many parents have been able to 'afford' to take their families to the likes of disneyland etc etc he in my humble opinion has left an amazing legacy that more and more airlines are beginning to implement.. i never met the guy (all a bit before my time!)so the next time i jet off to somewhere sunny and warm i will be raising my glass to the man that in my opinion helped the average member of the public see so many wonderful places in the world! thanks freddie RIP

LowObservable
10th Feb 2006, 13:55
That brings back old times...
It was said that the Accountant Series 2 was to be named the Auditor, and the Series 3 the Receiver.
But FAL was always to be counted on for a headline back in the days of Skytrain, when we all had to learn about the arcane world of the UK court system and understand what ultra vires meant so we could go and join the post-victory party on Parliament Square.
And then there was the time that he announced this massive order for A300s so he could do the Skytrain thing all over Europe, and applied for licenses on the grounds that any qualified European airline could link any two points within the Common Market. The total number of licenses applied for?
That, we felt, explained a lot. I'm sure BA saw little distinction between Sir Freddie and the Beast at the best of times....
... but they were wrong, for Laker was but the forerunner of the Beast, as Rev. 13:16 makes clear:
"And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast.... "
See: http://www.virgin.com/uk/default.asp
God speed, Sir Freddie, and we miss you in an age of beancounters

PaperTiger
10th Feb 2006, 15:31
He did not waste a minute of that extraordinary life.Except for that Prentice thing ;)

But we are diminished by his passing.

Hermano Lobo
10th Feb 2006, 16:06
I met Sir Freddie at the World Travel Market at Earl's Court back in 1995.

I had some 'Laker Liker' smiley face stickers his airline gave me back in 1981..:)
I brought them along to show his new Laker Airlines.(LGW-MIA)
I didn't know he would be there and he was bowled over when I gave him a handful of them(I hoard airline memorabilia).

We then had a long chat about aeroplanes. We must have sounded like a couple of aircraft spotters.

His ideas were well before his time.

I don't think they make them like that anymore?

Now he can have a chat with Kelly Johnson,Sidney Camm and all the late 'Greats' of aviation.

Who will forget his cheeky grin ?:O

Tartan Giant
10th Feb 2006, 16:49
It is indeed a sad loss to aviation with the departure of Sir Freddie

"The sky's the limit"............

RIP Sir Freddie

TG

Spitoon
10th Feb 2006, 17:10
I never met Sir Freddie - although I flew on his planes on a number of occasions - but there can be few other people in aviation whose passing has met with the sort of comments I've read here.

A true tribute to someone who clearly was one of the genuine nice guys. I'm all the more saddened that I'll not have the privilege and pleasure of meeting him as others have.

As has been said more eloquently that I can manage, a sad day.

EI-CFC
10th Feb 2006, 18:10
A big shame and a sad, sad loss. RIP

jumpship
10th Feb 2006, 18:21
:{ Sad Sad loss RIP

Paris Dakar
10th Feb 2006, 18:25
A man who brought air travel to the the masses, and changed the way we fly today.

stanley
10th Feb 2006, 18:51
I shed a tear last night when I hear the news.He was the best.The 5 years I spent on the 707 and DC10 where the best of my life.He is Very sadley missed.
There will never be a nother like him in this life time.

tilewood
10th Feb 2006, 18:53
Gordon Fraser posts a very comprehensive picture of Freddie Laker's
early days.

However I feel it is important to provide a location for his extraordinary beginnings in the 1950's and 60's. It was Southend Airport, Essex.

The airport at Southend, Essex was a repository for 250 Percival Prentices acquired by Freddie and Aviation Traders from the RAF. These were an unmissable sight to anyone passing the airport, stacked in various states
of repair along the northern boundary.

Southend Airport provided the young Freddie Laker with his start in aviation.
From Prentices, to Carvairs, to the ATL Accountant (his idea for a turbo-prop DC3 replacement).

Hopefully the airport will recognise his contribution in due course.

hobie
10th Feb 2006, 18:56
The 10's would often come over to us for training purposes ..... they always looked so smart :)

RIP .......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38278000/jpg/_38278355_skytrain300.jpg

AGP PERSON
10th Feb 2006, 19:40
Sir Freddy`s Skytrain in todays world would have been the best, pity it ended when it did.
A great man. up against the big boys.

LGS6753
10th Feb 2006, 20:02
It was Freddie Laker's flair and innovation that permitted me to fly over the Pond for the first time in 1977.
I have always been an admirer of his intelligence, charm and entrepreneurial flair.
RIP.

Ballymoss
10th Feb 2006, 21:41
Laker's Skytrain, my first experience of Transatlantic air travel. A flightdeck visit on the DC10 enroute MAN/JFK. Sitting for hours and hours looking at GAZZC waiting to go home in the midst of the US controllers strike. The desire for a career in aviation was born there and then amogst the bickering parents and screeming kids (I must be mad, nothings changed since then!)

Sometime later as a naive 18yo I sent a grubby fiver to the save Laker fund. I remember getting a ten pound voucher for the new launch Laker Holidays in return....Never had the chance to use it!

Well, I guess Sir Freddie had a little to do with where I am now so hats off but................................I'd like my fiver back!!!

What a guy....RIP

Rgds
The Moss:ok:

Georgeablelovehowindia
10th Feb 2006, 22:11
I've just brought a logbook down from the shelf. It reads:
05/11/81 B737-2K9 G-BMON SELF (FOs Name) GATWICK PALMA 1.54 Remarks:
Sir Freddie Laker

He hitched a ride down with us to his beloved boat. He was in fine form and at one stage got on the PA at the front of the cabin and announced "Hi everybody - I'm Fred Laker and you're flying on Britain's second-best airline!"

Cheeky devil - and of course a couple of months later, Laker went bust. Decades on, I found myself flying a DC10 with ex-Laker flight engineers, one of whom was on virtually the last flight back from New York when Fred thought he'd sorted out the bank loans, but he hadn't.

A great character - and he chortled when I told him that my previous boss in aviation had been his old sparring partner, the late Mike Keegan.

treadigraph
11th Feb 2006, 00:26
Ach, nice guy, well deserving of the accolades. Cheers Freddy, you were first and foremost an Aviation enthusiast par excellence.

IcePack
11th Feb 2006, 04:16
Oh, Come on guys and girls he wasn't that shiny! Seem to remember that he underpaid his crews and after A.N. Other refused to work a day off, next call from Sir Freddie. "Um I understand you do not want to work for me any more!"
Having said that he was one of the greats in aviation and set the ball rolling for skytravel for all & generally a great boss.
My Condolances to his family and I am sad in his passing, and he invented the ATL98 which flew faster than Mr Douglasses original.:)

Yarpy
11th Feb 2006, 06:40
He was one of those entrepeneurs people seemed to enjoy working for - unlike some of the unpleasant characters running the industry today.

I loved the stories of his unconventional behaviour. Apparently he caught an employee nicking tyres from the tyre store in the hangar at Gatwick. Freds solution? Put the guy in charge of the tyre store. Saved the guy and saved the tyres too!

Interesting reading the Times obituary. His Dad left home when he was four. Sir Freddie had a very strong relationship with his Mum. Something in that probably.

R.I.P. a great character.

JW411
11th Feb 2006, 10:43
IcePack: "I seem to remember that he underpaid his crews".

Obviously you worked for Fred before I did for I certainly do not remember being underpaid.

In fact, when I joined Laker I also had a Britannia contract in my bag and the Laker pay was much better.

WHBM
11th Feb 2006, 11:19
Would be nice to have a contemporary aircraft painted up in the old Skytrain livery for a while as a tribute. Virgin is the obvious candidate, wonder if SRB could have a think about it.

flash8
11th Feb 2006, 11:37
Branson said in Fortune (March 2005):

The person who had the biggest impact on me was Freddie Laker. He had been an aviator involved in the Berlin airlift and had made his money flying goods into Berlin at the end of World War II. He started a low-cost airline [Laker Airways, in 1966] that flew over the Atlantic. He was forced out of business by British Airways. I don’t know whether I would have gone into the airline business without seeing what happened to him. He was a very charismatic figure. He was taking on the big guys. He would fly his own planes. He created a lot of excitement.

“At the time, I was running a little record company; I was about 17 years old. The first time I met him was some years later. I was thinking about setting up my own airline. He gave me this advice: ‘You’ll never have the advertising power to outspend British Airways. You are going to have to get out there and use yourself. Make a fool of yourself. Otherwise you won’t survive.’

“The other advice he gave me: ‘They [British Airways] will use every trick in the book [against you]. When that happens, three words matter. Only three words, and you’ve got to use them: Sue the bastards!’

“I suspect if I hadn’t sued British Airways [in 1992], Virgin Atlantic wouldn’t have survived. And if I hadn’t used myself to advertise the airline, then it also wouldn’t have survived.

“I named one of my airplanes after him: the Sir Freddie.”

The idea of a Branson tribute in the form of a Skytrain Livery on one of his a/c is excellent. And given the bearded ones penchant for publicity, must have crossed his mind.

EI-CFC
11th Feb 2006, 14:06
Or now that the original "Spirit of Sir Freddie" is no longer part of the VS fleet, he could consider naming one of the new birds coming on stream in a similar manner. I think it would be a nice touch!

Gordon Fraser
11th Feb 2006, 14:35
Tilewood

Whatever happened to the Prentices?

tilewood
11th Feb 2006, 19:36
Gordon Fraser. Percival Prentices

I think the idea was that they would be offered as 4 seat "executive"
light aircraft once refurbished, but the market just did not materialise
and most were reduced to scrap.

However my first ever flight was in one of these Prentices at Southend
around 1959/60.

I can also remember the Accountant regularly flying over my home
on flight tests, and I also flew on the Carvairs when crew training was
in progress. "40,000 rivets in loose formation!"

TwinAisle
11th Feb 2006, 19:43
A very nice obituary of Sir Freddie in today's Daily Telegraph.

In it, Prince Philip, who was a friend of Sir Freddie's, wrote the following clerihew, which I thought was rather apt:

"Sir Freddie Laker
may be at peace with his maker
but he is persona non grata
with IATA."

RIP.

Niaga Dessip
11th Feb 2006, 20:47
My old man worked briefly with Sir Freddie in the late forties before returning to his own home in California. Dad had fond memories of the man. I never "met" him, but I can testify to a previous remark that he was a "hands on" boss. I had just arrived back from Naples on a Laker charter flight at Gatwick, the cabin crew expecting it to be their last sector of the day. As the door opened there was Freddie, not on a publicity trip, but having a quiet word with the crew asking them to work an extra sector replacing another delayed aircraft. OK, it made it difficult for them to say no; he was at least prepared to roll up his own sleeves rather that delegate his bad news to that crew. (I can only guess that the answer was "yes, boss, no problem!")

ND

Captain Greaser
11th Feb 2006, 21:25
Thats sad news indeed.For anyone who lived through the 70's and early 80's Laker was a break with the established order. A chance for some of us to get a step into commercial jet flying. Ryan Air,for all its miss givings offers similar breaks but Freddie,unlike the knacker that runs Ryan Air, was pure class!!!!!

Ryan_not_fair
11th Feb 2006, 21:35
Hey Cpt. Greaser

As a self respecting knacker, I take it as a grave insult to be compared with Leo Hairy Camey. Withdraw your slur immediately you scoundrel or I shall be forced to challenge you to greyhound courcing at dawn. (Hey Vinny, any chance I can borro Smoking Girl!!!)

Ps

Need some milk for the baby

Horas
12th Feb 2006, 02:15
A sad loss for Aviation , a true pioneer, the first to offer affordable flying to the masses with his Sky Train. I still remember him marshalling his own BUA BAC 1-11's during a groud handlers strike at Gatwick. If I remember right he got his start in Aviation with the Berlin Airlift using Lancastrians and Yorks .

GK430
13th Feb 2006, 17:31
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/GK707.jpg

GK430
13th Feb 2006, 17:37
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/GK111.jpg

707-138B in the post above and here is BAC 1-11 320L I think at STN during training.

Despite having spent a few hours in Britannia's G-ANBN and 'BM I do not appear to have any pics apart from a newspaper clipping from the time both were impounded down in Africa. One was in Entebbe after diverting following an engine shutdown. Upon inspection, the locals were none too impressed with the freight being carried. And that's another tale!

Red Four
13th Feb 2006, 17:50
Southend: Freddie had date at airport
Brought to you by the Evening Echo
SIR Freddie Laker, the aviation entrepreneur whose career took off at Southend Airport, had planned to come back and open the new terminal and railway station.
Sir Freddie, who died last week at his home in Miami aged 83, maintained a soft spot for the place where he formed Aviation Traders after the Second World War.
He frequently flew back to Southend for reunions with past staff members years after he retired.
Airport development officer Karen Medwith said: "Sir Freddie told us some time ago he would be delighted to come back to Southend and open the new terminal and railway stataion. We will ensure he is commemorated when it opens in 2009."
Published Monday, February 13, 2006

gruntie
13th Feb 2006, 18:54
One was in Entebbe after diverting following an engine shutdown. Upon inspection, the locals were none too impressed with the freight being carried. And that's another tale!

I remember - and still have a photograph - of that. I was in the terminal when it taxied out for a 3-engined departure. As an air-crazy schoolboy I insisted that my Dad took a photograph as it taxied past. A copper saw him do it and insisted that he had broken some obscure law and made him hand over the film from his camera. While this was going on he didn't notice me taking a picture myself on my Instamatic..............

Huck
14th Feb 2006, 01:51
I flew at least one of Laker's DC-10's at Gemini, not too long ago....

GK430
14th Feb 2006, 07:31
Gruntie, That's amazing. Do you still have the photo? It was my old man in the left hand seat having been held as a "guest" of the Ugandan police. If you need proof, I have his logbooks and will give you the exact date they departed. I'd love a scanned copy.

m5dnd
14th Feb 2006, 09:26
GK340,

The Laker 1-11 shot is at Wisley... Hope thats useful!!..

HZ123
14th Feb 2006, 10:25
Southend New Terminal; Dear old Freddie would have to have lived at least another 10 years plus to achieve that distinction?

GK430
14th Feb 2006, 13:36
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/G-ANBN.jpg

'BN arr on Dec 30th '66 and finally dep on Jan 8th '67 for 3 engined ferry to Khartoum, Benina and LGW taking 17 hrs 15.

Whilst on the topic, does anyone know / remember anything about 1-11
G-AVBY and latterly 'BW and the flying down in the Congo in '67 and '68. Why were some flights made at "low level"?

*Zwitter*
14th Feb 2006, 18:15
how many parents have been able to 'afford' to take their families to the likes of disneyland

we were one of those families

thanks Sir Freddie

RIP

from a Laker Liker

gruntie
14th Feb 2006, 21:10
GK, yes I still have it.......somewhere in the family archives. Give me a week or so, I'll find, scan & send you a copy. Though don't hold your breath - I was never famous for my photographic skills................

HZ123
15th Feb 2006, 09:11
If Freddie is watching I am sure he would find it ironic that once again BA is alleged to be involved in a cartel but this time at cargo.

captjns
15th Feb 2006, 10:48
If Freddie is watching I am sure he would find it ironic that once again BA is alleged to be involved in a cartel but this time at cargo.

Rest assured... knowing Sir Freddie, he is, and he'll... well lets just say he's wathcing with a grin.;)

saltyswede
16th Feb 2006, 10:44
One of the laker 10's ended up as a emery trash hauler :}

hobie
16th Feb 2006, 11:39
does anyone know / remember anything about 1-11
G-AVBY and latterly 'BW and the flying down in the Congo in '67 and '68

no info but here she is in 1967 at Hurn ....

http://www.bac1-11jet.co.uk/images/113%20Air%20Congo%201-11%20G-AVBY%20Hurn%20May%201967.jpg

cessna l plate
16th Feb 2006, 17:21
This has to be saddest event in recent aviation history.

I well remember going to Manchester as a kid and looking at the Skytrain fleet and wishing my folks earnt enough to get on one!!

It's amazing that certain things stick in your mind, and I remember coming home from the dentist after having a tooth out as a kid to the evening news that Laker had gone bump. A week later going to MAN and looking at 3 or 4 DC 10's lined up on the far side of the apron, impounded by the airport. I even have a picture somewhere of them.

I find it amazing that on this site, where there are always contrasting views on whatever is being discussed that this thread is 4 pages long, and not a bad word has been uttered against Sir Freddie. That, more than anything, speaks volumes about the man and his legacy.

Going back to earlier comments, I think it is fair to say that Stelios, Branson, MOL and others owe this great man a huge debt, and it would be a great tribute if they were to publically aknowledge this fact.

Finally, there are others here who met the man, worked for him and knew him. I never even got close to riding on one of his planes, but the legacy he leaves behind will forever benefit air travellers. Maybee we should start a petition for Branson to paint one of his planes in Laker colours, I can't think of a more fitting tribute, can you??

RIP Sir Freddie. You are already sadly missed.

vref130
16th Feb 2006, 23:10
I was a Yank who flew Bac-111's for Sir Freddy & married one of his gorgeous Stewardess' (F/A's to the under 60 crowd), who became the mother of our 5 children. Sir Freddy was at our wedding and gave us a most generous $ gift!! Long live the memory of a beloved and trusted member of our very close-knit fraternity!!! Hip-HooRay 3 times..... Vref130 & Pricilla say goodbye.

GK430
17th Feb 2006, 19:28
Hobie,

Great pic of 'BY - I'll pm you.
Whilst on the photo topic, does anyone have a photo of G-AXMU which was on lease to GK but in a tropical scheme with a Pelican or other schematic down full length of the fuselage. Got some great comments taxiing out in it one night.

PaperTiger
17th Feb 2006, 20:34
Hobie,
Great pic of 'BY - I'll pm you.
Whilst on the photo topic, does anyone have a photo of G-AXMU which was on lease to GK but in a tropical scheme with a Pelican or other schematic down full length of the fuselage. Got some great comments taxiing out in it one night.We're not allowed to directly link (post) it, but I think this is OK: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0220703/M/ (don't think there's any commercials there, could be wrong though).

Sammie_nl
17th Feb 2006, 20:46
the Economist magazine has a obituary about Sir Freddy Laker, I believe its free for all to read, and quite touching, as has been this thread. Here is the link link (http://www.economist.com/people/displaystory.cfm?story_id=5518940)

Hope it works